Home Birth Midwife recs for Baltimore-Parkville area? - Mothering Forums
Maryland, Metro D.C. Area, Delaware > Home Birth Midwife recs for Baltimore-Parkville area?
cat2elp's Avatar cat2elp 02:18 PM 03-06-2012

Hey all!  I'm a first time Mom who just found out that we are pregnant (yay!).  My husband and I are in healthcare and are 100% certain based on our own professional experience in hospitals that we want to have a home birth attended by a certified nurse midwife.  

Big problem though--we're having a very difficult time finding anyone!!  It appears that most of the folks who attend home births are in the DC suburban area.  

Does anyone know any midwifes (we're prefer CNM's) who do home deliveries in Northeast Baltimore (Parkville area).

Thanks very much!!!

:-)Cat

juneboymum's Avatar juneboymum 08:03 PM 03-06-2012

Congrats!  We live in Parkville, too.  I'm sorry I don't have any good suggestions other than to search the archives on here.  There have been lots of discussions lately about alternatives to homebirth because it's been so hard lately to find a homebirth midwife, especially CNM.  I just delivered 5 weeks ago with the midwives at Upper Chesapeake in Bel Air and had a good experience (completely drug/intervention free birth).  I'm happy to share my experience with you if you can't find a homebirth midwife.  Good luck!

homewithtwinsmama's Avatar homewithtwinsmama 09:26 PM 03-07-2012

Cat, there are no CNMs doing home birth in your area.  It would be great if you would write a letter to Del. Shane Pendergrass, Delegate Eric Bromwell and Del. Nathan-Pulliam and tell them you want a homebirth and can't find a legal provider. There is a huge debate about licensing CPMs in our state right now and these three are currently the biggest targets on the relevant committee that need to be convinced there is need and desire among Maryland families for more home birth options.  Call me if you want to talk area options.  301655-5853

ruffgirl's Avatar ruffgirl 09:56 AM 03-08-2012

Ditto to what the above posters have said. Hopefully there will soon be more homebirth options! But, we were in a similar position and opted to birth at Special Beginnings in Arnold. While it is a long drive and not your home, for us it was a great way to stay out of the hospital and be able to return home right after the birth. We were very happy with our experience there. Feel free to PM me if you have questions.

Susan Jenkins's Avatar Susan Jenkins 01:40 PM 03-08-2012

There are two CNM-staffed birth centers in Maryland -- the previously-mentioned Special Beginnings in Arnold and Bay Area Midwifery Center in Annapolis. I don't know if the midwives at either center also provide home birth services. CPMs are not yet licensed in Maryland and there has been a "witch hunt" by the Boards of Medicine and Nursing to stop them from practicing, but, as other posters have indicated, there is a very active campaign lobbying for a licensing law. People in that campaign might know about any CNMs doing home births.  Check out this website:

http://marylandfamiliesforsafebirth.org/

Hearings are scheduled in the near future.  Supportive testimony from two health professionals could be very helpful.  Jeremy Galvan is one of the leaders of this consumer-headed group.

Best wishes,

Susan

Steve's Wife's Avatar Steve's Wife 10:00 PM 03-17-2012
http://www.altbirthchoices.com/about_biographies.html

There's Evelyn and one other, I can't remember her name. We delivered at Soecial Beginnings in 2008 and probably will again this summer. I am sort of exploring homebirth but I'm always concerned that with the two midwives doing a huge area they won't make it, and I have a history a severe PPH.
KatyLinda's Avatar KatyLinda 09:56 AM 03-18-2012

Evelyn is not doing deliveries at this time.  I'm a pregnant woman in the same area, and I have contact info for CPMs, but there are not any currently licensed CNMs who will deliver babies in this area.  I would recommend you get involved with Maryland Families for Safe Birth and help advocate for change in Maryland so that we have the option of a safe and legal homebirth.  

jenrford's Avatar jenrford 09:10 PM 03-19-2012

I live in Parkville, too. We should start a club or something. 

I am pregnant with my third child. I had a c-section, and then a VBAC. I really want a homebirth, but went to check out Special Beginnings tonight, since the homebirth scene seems pretty hostile here. Halfway through the talk with the midwife at SB, he said they don't do VBACs at the center. Surely he didn't mean second VBACs, so I raised my hand for clarification... yep... no VBACs at all.

I didn't even consider that a second VBAC wouldn't be permitted at a birth center. I just moved here from TX, and second VBACs were allowed at the center near me. To say I am devastated is an understatement. 

I really want a waterbirth in my living room. Failing that, I'd like to have a waterbirth in a low-intervention setting... is that even possible in MD, considering I have had a c-section (and a successful VBAC)?

If anyone wants to see pictures of SB, I did take some of the rooms and birthing tubs/jacuzzis. I can email them to anyone who wants to see without having to drive down there.

I'd love to hear any VBAC info anyone may have. Advice, funny jokes, recommendations... :)

Good luck to all the mamas,

Jennifer

KatyLinda's Avatar KatyLinda 07:27 AM 03-20-2012

Jennifer - I'm a VBAC mom too.  I had a vaginal birth, then a section because she was breech, and now will have a VBAC with this baby.  If you're looking for CPM options, PM me.  Right now I'll be delivering at Upper Chesapeake Medical Center with the midwives there. It's not a perfect situation, but I think it's my best bet for a VBAC.  I've spent the past 23 weeks (I'm 28 weeks pregnant) trying to figure out how to have the home birth I want in Maryland.  It seriously sucks.  Anyway, feel free to PM me if you want the info I've gathered....  

jenrford's Avatar jenrford 08:10 AM 03-20-2012

KatyLinda--

I would love to hear what you've gathered! I was looking at the Upper Chesapeake website the other night. They are the ones who work with the Susquehanna OB midwives, right?

I really want a water birth. Am I remembering right that Upper Chesapeake has a single birthing tub?

Thanks!

Jennifer 

KatyLinda's Avatar KatyLinda 08:24 AM 03-20-2012

While they do have a tub, it is a HUGE tub, they said since they've had it only 1 mom couldn't get it when she wanted it, etc.  No VBACs may labor in the tub.  My plan is to head to the Hampton Inn on route 24.  They have a jacuzzi suite.  I will check in there and labor there.  And then head to UCMC around 8 cm.  The hotel is 6 miles away and the closest I could find.... I'll PM you with more info....  

juneboymum's Avatar juneboymum 07:37 PM 03-23-2012

Well, I must be the 2nd person who couldn't get in the tub when I wanted it at Upper Chesapeake.  There was someone in that room when I called from home.  By the time I got there (45 minutes later) they had moved that mom but were still cleaning when I got there.  I walked in the door fully dilated so there wasn't time to fill the tub up for me.  Oh well, the baby came so fast it wasn't a big deal!  They did make a big effort to free up the room for me and they made sure I was 100% OK with just having my baby and not waiting for the tub.

Maybe we should start a Parkville club.  :)

Maternalove's Avatar Maternalove 09:00 AM 04-10-2012

Here's my suggestion to the VBAC moms. I just delivered at St. Josphs and it was all things considered (VBAC and GBS +) a really good experience. They don't have tubs but you can't labor in tubs anyway. 

Stay home as long as humanly possible! 

Have a very detailed birth plan, I'll pm you mine if you'd like.

Hire a doula. 

While I didn't get the birth I truly wanted, it was as best as it could be.

Jenga's Avatar Jenga 09:10 AM 04-10-2012

I had my 2VBA1C at AAMC with Bay Area Midwifery. Pretty good experience. I second the stay home as long as possible mantra; I got there at 9cm (really not that far into labor on purpose, though) and AAMC didn't push HepB or bathing the baby on me. I simply said no and the nurses I had were really ok with it.

cat2elp's Avatar cat2elp 07:24 PM 04-21-2012

Thank you for the rec! :-)

cat2elp's Avatar cat2elp 07:35 PM 04-21-2012

Ack!  Sorry!  Thank you all so much for responding!  I'm so new to this thing that I didn't even realize I'd gotten any replies until just now!  Thank you!

cat2elp's Avatar cat2elp 07:42 PM 04-21-2012

@homewithtwinsmama, Susan and KatyLinda--thank you all very much!  I did sign the petitions and send emails to the target delegates through the Move-On system but I heard that things did not go well which is very upsetting.  I am happy to advocate as needed even though it is outside my specialty area as a physician because I cannot believe how the BON is behaving about this (not to mention my physician colleagues--very disappointing!).  I think I'm probably going to be forced to head to a birthing center.  I'm really frustrated with my OB thus far and I think my husband and I are probably going to have to fight hard to get the type of birth we want in a hospital.  The whole thing is just so ridiculous!  Thank you for your advice and support!

Quote:
Originally Posted by homewithtwinsmama View Post

Cat, there are no CNMs doing home birth in your area.  It would be great if you would write a letter to Del. Shane Pendergrass, Delegate Eric Bromwell and Del. Nathan-Pulliam and tell them you want a homebirth and can't find a legal provider. There is a huge debate about licensing CPMs in our state right now and these three are currently the biggest targets on the relevant committee that need to be convinced there is need and desire among Maryland families for more home birth options.  Call me if you want to talk area options.  301655-5853

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan Jenkins View Post

There are two CNM-staffed birth centers in Maryland -- the previously-mentioned Special Beginnings in Arnold and Bay Area Midwifery Center in Annapolis. I don't know if the midwives at either center also provide home birth services. CPMs are not yet licensed in Maryland and there has been a "witch hunt" by the Boards of Medicine and Nursing to stop them from practicing, but, as other posters have indicated, there is a very active campaign lobbying for a licensing law. People in that campaign might know about any CNMs doing home births.  Check out this website:

http://marylandfamiliesforsafebirth.org/

Hearings are scheduled in the near future.  Supportive testimony from two health professionals could be very helpful.  Jeremy Galvan is one of the leaders of this consumer-headed group.

Best wishes,

Susan

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatyLinda View Post

Evelyn is not doing deliveries at this time.  I'm a pregnant woman in the same area, and I have contact info for CPMs, but there are not any currently licensed CNMs who will deliver babies in this area.  I would recommend you get involved with Maryland Families for Safe Birth and help advocate for change in Maryland so that we have the option of a safe and legal homebirth.  

cat2elp's Avatar cat2elp 07:47 PM 04-21-2012

Hey Jennifer thanks for replying!  I'm due in early November--when are you due?  Parkville club indeed :-)  What did you think of SB?  Was it nice?  Did it seem like a really long drive?  My husband is a bit nervous about the driving factor!  

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenrford View Post

I live in Parkville, too. We should start a club or something. 

I am pregnant with my third child. I had a c-section, and then a VBAC. I really want a homebirth, but went to check out Special Beginnings tonight, since the homebirth scene seems pretty hostile here. Halfway through the talk with the midwife at SB, he said they don't do VBACs at the center. Surely he didn't mean second VBACs, so I raised my hand for clarification... yep... no VBACs at all.

I didn't even consider that a second VBAC wouldn't be permitted at a birth center. I just moved here from TX, and second VBACs were allowed at the center near me. To say I am devastated is an understatement. 

I really want a waterbirth in my living room. Failing that, I'd like to have a waterbirth in a low-intervention setting... is that even possible in MD, considering I have had a c-section (and a successful VBAC)?

If anyone wants to see pictures of SB, I did take some of the rooms and birthing tubs/jacuzzis. I can email them to anyone who wants to see without having to drive down there.

I'd love to hear any VBAC info anyone may have. Advice, funny jokes, recommendations... :)

Good luck to all the mamas,

Jennifer

cat2elp's Avatar cat2elp 07:55 PM 04-21-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by juneboymum View Post

Congrats!  We live in Parkville, too.  I'm sorry I don't have any good suggestions other than to search the archives on here.  There have been lots of discussions lately about alternatives to homebirth because it's been so hard lately to find a homebirth midwife, especially CNM.  I just delivered 5 weeks ago with the midwives at Upper Chesapeake in Bel Air and had a good experience (completely drug/intervention free birth).  I'm happy to share my experience with you if you can't find a homebirth midwife.  Good luck!

Thank you!  Congrats on your new baby!  I'll keep Upper Chesapeake in mind--this search is not looking good for the home birth!!

VBACmama4's Avatar VBACmama4 09:02 PM 04-23-2012

Cat, here is a list (from 2011, but still might be of some help) from the Maryland Area Homebirth Options website of midwives in MD and surrounding areas:http://marylandhomebirth.webs.com/localmidwives.htm

This is the website for Chesapeake Birth Companions, which is primarily a doula service but they often have knowledge of midwives practicing in the area (specifically Balt/Har/Cec counties) http://www.chesapeakebirthcompanions.com/

As a new mom it might not be so difficult for you to find a water birth or birth center birth that is exactly what you want even though it's not in your home. The medical and homebirth climate in MD is obviously very tense but if you build a good support system for yourself and get as much education as you can I'm sure you will be able to get through the process with less stress than us VBAC's! I'm driving almost 2 hours to a birth center in Northern VA because many options are closed to me even though this is my 3rd VBAC. Really frustrating, but even I was able to find a homebirth midwife after a few months of searching. We decided to go another way because we are too far from the most local hospital in the event of an emergency to feel comfortable birthing at home. 

I hope you find your way to the best possible birth experience, it's such a special time for you!! Good luck and congrats :)

NaturalMama311's Avatar NaturalMama311 06:38 PM 04-27-2012

I had my first with Special Beginnings and they were great!  I had a planned c-section at AAMC but the MW from SB was there in the OR with me and DH holding my hand the whole time.  She was wonderful.  

I had a VBAC with my second at Upper Chesapeake with Susquehanna Midwives and they were awesome.  Very pro VBAC, supportive and respected my wishes for a natural VBAC.

lcchrt's Avatar lcchrt 08:38 PM 05-03-2012

I live in Parkville also! My daughter is 7 months now but I delivered at Upper Chesapeake with the midwives and it was an amazing experience. It was fully unmedicated/natural and everything I could have hoped for in a hospital. I really hope with my next I can have a homebirth and would do anything to do so, but in the case that I can't I would deliver in a moment at Upper Chesapeake again! (I delivered with Donna) I love having so many local mamas here!

I must have been the third mama who wasn't able to use the birth tub! Haha they let you labor in it but they wont let you birth in it. It was busy my ENTIRE labor (17 hours long). I never stepped foot in the thing lol

MrsTani's Avatar MrsTani 03:22 PM 05-15-2012

I have been reading a lot of threads and noticed that some are saying there are hospitals that won't let VBAC moms labor in tubs. Why? Any that will?

KatyLinda's Avatar KatyLinda 06:38 AM 05-16-2012

Most require constant monitoring for VBACs, so you're limited by the range of the monitor cords. 

VBACmama4's Avatar VBACmama4 06:14 PM 05-17-2012

The only hospitals in MD that will allow a VBAC to enter a tub while in labor are Mercy and BWMC, but you have to have a nearly "perfect" combination of low-risk factors, ok it with the Director of Labor & Delivery, and even then they insist that you leave the tub to give birth. Like once you're in the pushing phase it's easy to just stand up and walk to the bed (???). They claim several issues, the main one being what KatyLinda said about constant monitoring (even though both Mercy and BWMC have waterproof telemetry), and the second as it's been explained to me over and over again is that they claim that it's harder to get a VBAC who has ruptured during labor up out of the tub for an emergency c-section. 

Basically, the best options for VBAC's in MD are home birth or midwife attended hospital birth, but doing it at home guarantees access to the tub. 

MrsTani's Avatar MrsTani 10:13 AM 05-21-2012

What about MD General?

IdentityCrisisMama's Avatar IdentityCrisisMama 03:26 PM 05-22-2012

I would be willing to drive for a home (setting) birth. In the Baltimore area, I would look into homebirth midwives in DC, VA, DE, PA and maybe eve WV. It seems to me that there are some providers within a 1 hour drive. If I were you I would start calling the CNMs practicing in the area and asking them for suggestions for any other CPMs still practicing. Good luck, mama!!  

VBACmama4's Avatar VBACmama4 08:04 PM 05-22-2012

Maryland General told me the same thing as the rest, they don't allow VBAC's to use the tubs at all. They initially said they'd consider it during a phone conversation but when I went to the office they immediately rescinded permission because the Director wouldn't allow it. 

MrsTani's Avatar MrsTani 12:34 PM 06-04-2012

Any idea if the "no-VBACs in the tub" at MD General applies to secondary VBACs as well - those who have had a successful VBAC after their initial c/s?

VBACmama4's Avatar VBACmama4 09:05 PM 08-31-2012

This reply is late, sorry about that but just FYI, yes, the no VBAC rule at MD General applies to everyone unless they have express prior permission from the Labor and Delivery Director himself. I had a CS in '01, VBAC water birth at a birth center in '02, another VBAC in '10 and MD General STILL told me no on the tub birth! They wouldn't even consent to letting me labor in the tub until they "saw how I was handling it", as though I were a first time mother with no track record. It's really sad..

Up