I'm looking for a midwife in Delaware. I'm in Maryland but don't like the political atmosphere here - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 04-20-2012, 01:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Midwives are having there licenses yanked for no reason left and right. I also do not want many scans and tests. I am super freaked out about doctors and hospitals getting court orders to force things on mothers. I don't mind driving a couple of hours for prenatal care just so I don't have any problems. I have healthy daughter but have had problems for not going to prenatal care in Baltimore County. I went to some but will not take a chance on having things forced on me and my baby. I am only going to seek prenatal care for legal reasons. I am perfectly capable of UP. I don't think I will have $3500 for a local mw. Hopefully there are more affordable ones somewhere. I hope I can come up with the money to hire someone

#2 of 8 Old 04-20-2012, 04:39 PM

There are birth centers in Delaware, but I've heard that Delaware midwives are in the same situation Maryland midwives are in...  

Wife to a wonderful DH, Mom to 3 amazing girls and one special boy, IBCLC, supporter of moms. 
#3 of 8 Old 04-20-2012, 05:11 PM

Yeah - Delaware midwives are in the same boat as Maryland midwives unfortunately.  There is the Birth Center in Wilmington though.

Amy... mom to
Keith, Henry and Caroline
#4 of 8 Old 04-23-2012, 08:43 AM

Attended home birth is illegal for most Delaware women. That's more a danger to the midwives than the mothers, usually, but it's difficult. I had 3 of my children at home in Delaware, so I know the drill.

Homebirth midwives, sadly, are pretty expensive. being both at risk of prosecution and unable to insure themselves means they must provide for themselves through fees. However, I STRONGLY recommend against using an alternative birth environment, like a birth center, for pre-natal care while planning to give birth unattended. That has a great potential to compromise them, with their back-ups, with the public, and legally. And it's not respectful of the work they do, and their dedication.

Our situation is all part of criminalizing woman parts, but that's another rant. Good luck.

#5 of 8 Old 04-23-2012, 07:26 PM

I know you said you are looking mainly in Delaware, but if you're looking for a birth center that is fairly liberal as long as you're not a VBAC, Special Beginnings in Arnold, MD was a really nice place. I went for a few appointments before finding out that they didn't allow a VBAC mother to labor or deliver at the birth center, which ruled me out completely as I want a low-intervention birth as well. They have birthing pools, comfortable rooms and the midwives were really cool (I met 3 of them and had no problems with any). They only require blood tests and encourage only one ultrasound during pregnancy. If you're not comfortable with a birth center, there are a few midwives in MD who do attend home births and will do so even with the risk to them, and a few will work out a payment plan or bill insurance for as much as they can. I would recommend looking on the Birth Options Alliance website, I believe there is a list on there that's as close to accurate as possible (although Evelyn Muhlhan is still listed as a midwife but is not practicing at this time). Best of luck in finding your best option!!

Never give up your rights

chicken3.gif waterbirth.jpg vbac.gif

Mother of 4 boys, 5 if you count my husband

#6 of 8 Old 04-30-2012, 08:25 AM

I sent you a pm, I'm sorry there aren't many options

><> Mom to superhero.gif (6) hearts.gif (4) energy.gif (2) and baby.gif (born March!)
#7 of 8 Old 05-09-2012, 06:48 PM

If you're willing to drive have you considered  VA midwives. It's actually legal there and I know there are some in Norther VA.

Proud wife to DH, mommy to DD 11/23/07, our little rainbow1284.gif baby boy 2/19/12. We vbac.gifnocirc.gifwinner.jpgcd.gif delayedvax.gifselectivevax.gif.femalesling.GIF

namaste.gif   *****Remember to love your boobies once a month!*** ribbonpink.gif

#8 of 8 Old 05-10-2012, 09:12 AM

Pennsylvania is also an option.  I am seeing a midwife there.  

Wife to a wonderful DH, Mom to 3 amazing girls and one special boy, IBCLC, supporter of moms. 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page