Recommendations for Doulas in Baltimore / Parkville / Towson area? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-21-2012, 08:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hey all!  So it looks like my home birth dream is not going to be able to be a reality thanks to all the legislative issues, so now I'm really looking for a doula.  I want someone that can help guide me through the rest of this pregnancy (I'm 12 weeks) and help my husband and I through my labor and postpartum period.  

I really want to experience natural childbirth but I have a poor pain tolerance and without a doula, I can't see myself being able to make it through!!   I'm looking for someone willing to labor early at home with me, and then go to either a birth center or a hospital.  I've found pregnancy to be tougher than I thought it would be--and its only the end of the first trimester!  I need someone with the expertise to tell me that everything really is going to be ok and to advise me on how to cope!

My husband is nervous about getting a doula because it is really important to him (and to me) that he be my primary support but he also knows we need help!  We are both in healthcare but pregnancy/birth are not in our specialties.  So we're looking for someone who can be a coach and a guide but also really respect & value my husband's role in the birth as well.  

Anyone have any recs, particularly for a very experienced & kind doula?  Thanks!!

:-)Cat

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2012, 10:16 AM

Cat,

I left you a private message and my phone number.  Feel free to call me about doula services, some great childbirth prep for both of you and other issues related to midwives that you mentioned.  I am teaching this afternoon/early evening, but will be free later to talk.

Old 04-23-2012, 08:35 PM

I wanted to recommend a friend of mine who was my Bradley teacher and doula with my first VBAC. I don't want to step on any toes so if you've already talked with twinsmama above, please disregard. 

My teacher/doula was Tina Overton, her website is www.birthlilly.com , and she and her husband were not only amazing Bradley Method teachers but she was an absolute godsend during my labor and birth. She lives in Carroll County but had no problem coming to the Baltimore Birth Center (when it was open) mid-morning and staying with me nearly all day as I needed her. My husband at that time, even though he had gone through the classes with me, was not extremely supportive and Tina filled that gap for me so well I never felt anxious at all. She is absolutely respectful of the husband/wife bond and often is silent and in the background, rubbing your back while he supports you, holding your hand while he encourages you, etc. After going through classes with her she and I were so comfortable we actually joked while I was in labor and she made me feel that giving birth was the most natural thing in the world. She was wonderful.

Best of luck in building your support structure and during your pregnancy and birth! 

Never give up your rights

chicken3.gif waterbirth.jpg vbac.gif

Mother of 4 boys, 5 if you count my husband

User Tag List