Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Sorry, had to delete original post...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 40 Old 05-14-2012, 12:06 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

I found them while looking for myself, but I want someone who can deliver in a hospital. 

Hope this helps.

http://www.mamasmidwives.com/M.A.M.A.S._Inc./Home.html

#3 of 40 Old 05-16-2012, 12:25 PM

I'm not sure about KW, you'd have to contact her and find out.  I dont know of any other options in Baltimore.  I'm going out of state to get my birth.  

Wife to a wonderful DH, Mom to 3 amazing girls and one special boy, IBCLC, supporter of moms. 
#4 of 40 Old 05-16-2012, 12:44 PM

This is Karen's website
http://womanwise.info/services/
I haven't heard anything about her not doing deliveries, but that doesn't mean much. smile.gif
#5 of 40 Old 05-16-2012, 12:50 PM

The only caveat is that she doesn't do home visits, you have to go to her office in Elkton for prenatal visits.. which is quite a drive for us.. about an hour and half. 

#6 of 40 Old 05-16-2012, 06:08 PM

I'm pretty sure that any unlicensed midwife attending births in Maryland would appreciate not having their name out on the internet :/

Amy... mom to
Keith, Henry and Caroline
#7 of 40 Old 05-17-2012, 09:06 PM

Deleted my comment. Didnt know there were 2 names in this thread.
#8 of 40 Old 05-21-2012, 09:11 AM

Please see if you can find out how to delete the posts with MW names... for their protection.

amymaew likes this.
#9 of 40 Old 05-22-2012, 04:13 PM

how do you delete your comments?

#10 of 40 Old 05-22-2012, 08:55 PM

You can click on the pencil on your posts and edit them....  

Wife to a wonderful DH, Mom to 3 amazing girls and one special boy, IBCLC, supporter of moms. 
#11 of 40 Old 05-23-2012, 11:43 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)

Out of curiosity, can someone clarify what the midwives are asking for as far as anonymity is concerned? Are MWs that have current, live websites advertising their services asking that we not use their name on a forum like MDC?  Has anyone heard directly from our working MWs about this? 

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif
#12 of 40 Old 05-23-2012, 01:36 PM

That's a great question.  I've never worried about it if they have a website and put their info out there.  But with the current state of homebirth in Maryland, I guess one can never be too careful....  

IdentityCrisisMama likes this.

#13 of 40 Old 05-24-2012, 11:20 AM

I was starting to say the same thing in my deleted post, but then realized that she was probably referring to kc. Pretty sure she is no longer "under the radar" since she went to court, was in the papers, etc, but I believe that she has asked in the past not to be named on these boards. I think initials are ok and her name is usually spread by pm info. I think karen Webster is pretty much 100% open to the public. Her website specifically says what her credentials are and that she attends home births. I have heard that she even has a decent relationship with some of the drs at ucmc. If she was going on the down-low, she'd probably start there first, I would think.
#14 of 40 Old 05-24-2012, 11:22 AM

Also, is there a difference between saying, "so-and-so attended my birth 10 years ago" and "so-and-so is attending my birth this month"? Just wondering if there is no safe context whatsoever? Maybe not. I respect that if there isn't.
#15 of 40 Old 05-24-2012, 11:41 AM

I'd be curious to know. I imagine our MWs want mothers to have access to working MWs and MDC is such a great resource. Perhaps our pregnant mamas can ask their MWs what they prefer and share here. 

#16 of 40 Old 05-24-2012, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdentityCrisisMama View Post

Out of curiosity, can someone clarify what the midwives are asking for as far as anonymity is concerned? Are MWs that have current, live websites advertising their services asking that we not use their name on a forum like MDC?  Has anyone heard directly from our working MWs about this? 

All of the midwives who attend births in Maryland that I know (and that includes all of the ones mentioned in this thread) would prefer their names not be mentioned in online forums.  I would think PMs would be fine, but there's always a risk of people who are not friendly to hb mws stumbling across threads in public forums.  I don't believe that any mw's website specifically says they attend births in MD (or DE for that matter).    Thanks  :)

Amy... mom to
#17 of 40 Old 05-24-2012, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amymaew View Post

All of the midwives who attend births in Maryland that I know (and that includes all of the ones mentioned in this thread) would prefer their names not be mentioned in online forums.  I would think PMs would be fine, but there's always a risk of people who are not friendly to hb mws stumbling across threads in public forums.  I don't believe that any mw's website specifically says they attend births in MD (or DE for that matter).    Thanks  :)

OK, so you have spoken to KC, KW and MAMAS?  Do you happen to know if KC would not like us to discuss her at all? Are there some good lists for finding MWs outside of the MD boarder? OP, I'm PM'ing you a MW group that says they attend births in MD. 

#18 of 40 Old 05-25-2012, 06:11 AM

Karen's website
Womanwise.info/services/

First bullet on the list:

Homebirth, including water birth

As for PM's, how are you going to stop people from talking privately about anything? If I meet someone on the street, should I ask them of they're an undercover officer before discussing midwives? Sorry, but there is some unavoidable risk when you schoose to work outside the laws, no matter how dumb/unjust/outrageous the laws might be.
#19 of 40 Old 05-26-2012, 06:40 AM

I said TO PM, not not to lol.  And K's site doesn't say anything about attending births IN THE STATE OF MARYLAND.  You know, the state where it's a felony to attend births as an unlicensed midwife?  Maybe she's only attending in VA right now. Who knows.  But, I would hope that people would want to protect their midwife as much as they can if she's putting her freedom on the line to attend a birth. 

Amy... mom to
#20 of 40 Old 05-26-2012, 07:50 AM

For me, Amy, I guess I feel like the overall perception of homebirth in MD is wrapped up in the question of anonymity/secrecy. It certainly isn't a question of whether anyone wants to see another MW with legal troubles. I know I really appreciated the few times one MW in particular was open in the press about midwifery in MD, about the choice to practice without a recognized certification and the limitations that go along with that in other states. It was my understanding that, although CPMs were not recognized in MD they were practicing rather openly - on list serves, wonderfully written interviews, billing for insurance and etc. 

Of course things change and perhaps we are going back to a more "underground" situation. But it's OK to not think of this as a good thing -- even with what's going on in MD. If we have a MW who is willing to maintain openness right now that may well be good for HB in the area. 

The other thing is that I imagine from your posts that you're a birth professional, intimately involved in HB in MD...but for all we know you're just another MDC member with an opinion, you know?  I think being a HB-er, we're prone to saying, "Hey, give us some more information about this." And and asking questions like, "Is being openly secretive a good thing?" "What are our midwives actually saying?" 

In a way, the public choice to make discussing midwives in MD an underground thing is guiding the culture of MW in MD as a whole and I think it's reasonable to question that. I know there are a few activists groups in support of Midwifery in MD - I'm sure you and many other MDC members are part of those groups. Perhaps it wouldn't be a bad idea to make an official statement about this? 

#21 of 40 Old 05-26-2012, 01:30 PM

Quote:

For me, Amy, I guess I feel like the overall perception of homebirth in MD is wrapped up in the question of anonymity/secrecy. It certainly isn't a question of whether anyone wants to see another MW with legal troubles. I know I really appreciated the few times one MW in particular was open in the press about midwifery in MD, about the choice to practice without a recognized certification and the limitations that go along with that in other states. It was my understanding that, although CPMs were not recognized in MD they were practicing rather openly - on list serves, wonderfully written interviews, billing for insurance and etc. 

Of course things change and perhaps we are going back to a more "underground" situation. But it's OK to not think of this as a good thing -- even with what's going on in MD. If we have a MW who is willing to maintain openness right now that may well be good for HB in the area. 

The other thing is that I imagine from your posts that you're a birth professional, intimately involved in HB in MD...but for all we know you're just another MDC member with an opinion, you know?  I think being a HB-er, we're prone to saying, "Hey, give us some more information about this." And and asking questions like, "Is being openly secretive a good thing?" "What are our midwives actually saying?" 

In a way, the public choice to make discussing midwives in MD an underground thing is guiding the culture of MW in MD as a whole and I think it's reasonable to question that. I know there are a few activists groups in support of Midwifery in MD - I'm sure you and many other MDC members are part of those groups. Perhaps it wouldn't be a bad idea to make an official statement about this? 

I am a birth professional, but I don't attend HB in MD.  I strongly feel that clients should respect their midwives privacy and what they risk to attend births.  It's easy to say 'oh, well, if you want to attend births you're taking on a certain risk' and I think all unlicensed midwives are acutely aware of that risk.  I also think that as a HB consumer, it's my responsibility to protect my midwife to the best of my ability.  There's a group - MD familes for safe birth I believe is the name.  I can't make a statement for them because I'm not on their board/media relations/whathaveyou.  Maybe their website has an official statement?  I do know that there was a rally a couple of months ago about a bill to legalize CPMs, but I don't believe the bill has gone anywhere.  I think that in this area (PA/MD/DE) we have a false sense of security about our midwives and speak openly about them, and it's not always the most prudent decision.  Asking the midwives themselves if they mind being publicly named is a better option than naming them and assuming they're okay with it.  I'm not trying to make a mountain out of a molehill, but these women have a life and families and we need to protect them just like they protect us imo.

Amy... mom to
#22 of 40 Old 05-26-2012, 01:33 PM

Quote:

OK, so you have spoken to KC, KW and MAMAS?  Do you happen to know if KC would not like us to discuss her at all? Are there some good lists for finding MWs outside of the MD boarder? OP, I'm PM'ing you a MW group that says they attend births in MD. 

Sorry, I didn't see this!  KC and KW have said that they don't want to be discussed.  I don't know MAMAS - I overlooked the post mentioning them - so no idea.  I'd suggest asking them  :)  

Amy... mom to
#23 of 40 Old 05-26-2012, 03:00 PM

I hear ya, Amy. It's a complicated issue because everyone who homebirths in MD with a MW comes to know at least their MW and we form our feelings about how to handle this topic during the time that we spent with them. We also birthed in a climate that we were comfortable with as far as how accepted and open our birth choices were at the time. But, times change and circumstances change. 

I will share that I do think a well thought out public statement about this issue is a great way to handle this. The odd parent or birth professional who is dialed into the current requests of our MWs policing MDC is not an ideal solution to a question that is sure to be asked again and again until we have more birth options. 

#24 of 40 Old 05-26-2012, 07:09 PM

The MAMAS midwives are licensed Certified Nurse Midwives who are licensed in both Maryland and DC. They are based out of Takoma Park, MD and their travel radius is limited.

Mama, birth worker, and dreamer extraordinaire. slingboy.gif

Please read the NEW User Agreement.

#25 of 40 Old 05-27-2012, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amymaew View Post

I said TO PM, not not to lol. 

I apologize. My mistake. I replied In haste and wasn't reading carefully.
Quote:

Thank you for this, and your other well-thought-out replies.

I would first like to say that I would never want to intentionally put a midwife at risk or "out" them for any reason. The only names I have ever put up on this board are names that I have heard others give the ok for. I have not spoken to kw personally, so I guess I don't know what she herself thinks about being discussed here in public.

Two things get to me when these discussions come up, and I understand this is a personal issue for a lot of people and I don't want to dismiss anyone's feelings or the risk midwives are taking to do a great service for women. I certainly understand that they have lives and families and they aren't acting in a vacuum or a simple black and white world. I digress, here are the two things that get me:
1. If some bad guy or law enforcement official or disgruntled patient or OB with an axe to grind is looking to out midwives, there are plenty of places to find names besides the discussion boards. There are md birth professionals websites, yellow page listings that list kc, among other unlicensed people. Kw is on facebook! It's not as if these midwives are operating off the grid. Their info is everywhere, I find it hard to believe that a mention on these forums will be the make-or-break mention that is the difference between prosecution and freedom. Perhaps that's not a good enough reason, but I believe it's naive to think if we are just hush-hush about it, no one will find out what's going on. To my knowledge, for the midwives that are in trouble right now, their trouble stemmed from hospital personnel. Not some evil web troll out looking for victims. Again, I have not mentioned anyone's name that I thought did not want to be mentioned, and I never would! This is the first I have heard of kw's request to not be discussed and I will not mention her name again except in pm's.

2. I believe secrecy is anathema to freedom of birth choice. We need information. We need transparency. We are always demanding more and more information, statistics, evidence based medicine, etc from the health care community, and yet when it comes to the issue of unlicensed midwives, it seems there is an air of infallibility. Its as though, if everyone could just keep a secret, everything would be fine. But it's not fine! People are not getting the care they need, they are not getting the outcomes they want. They are not getting the births that want. And if the laws are to change, people need to know that there are alternatives to medical births. And midwives will need to be accountable for the care they provode as well. Lawmakers need to know that people are opting out of a broken system and that there are already capable professionals ready to take over their health care. It just seems to me that when the focus is on whether someone's name got posted, it shifts the discussion away from where the focus really needs to be, and I believe that focus should be on changing the laws so we can all have more freedom and choices, not on whether anyone needs to be scolded for saying a name that shall not be spoken.
#26 of 40 Old 05-29-2012, 03:21 AM

I completely agree with you, Bmorefarmgirl, but this forum is not the place for free speech and honest talk about midwives. Anything less than positive is taken down (even though legally MDC would not be responsible for a negative post - as per actual lawyers despite what the moderators say) and it sure does seem backward to tell women not to talk about the midwives who are "under the radar" on a forum knowing full well they're on FACEBOOK or have websites. I mean really!!

I had a bad experience with a midwife (and apparently so did many many other people) and she was working on a lapsed license but sharing about her births on a public facebook page all the while. Do people really think that the powers that be won't be looking on personal web pages and on facebook if they want to "get " a midwife? Do people really think that it is better to have a blackout of info than to have good info out there?

#27 of 40 Old 07-14-2012, 11:15 AM

Given the birthing climate in Maryland?  I would NEVER out my midwife.  The more I learn the more protective I become.  Our home birth midwives are under attack. And even the one or two that do have websites do not have specific data as to what areas they serve to protect themselves. There's a real fine line between making sure moms have the info and making sure the midwives are safe so that they will be around for other moms.  

MyKidKissTrees likes this.

#28 of 40 Old 07-22-2012, 05:52 AM

If no one will tell anyone who they have found, and no one has websites, how are people supposed to find midwives in md?  I've pretty much given up because I can't find anyone who will come to where I live!

#29 of 40 Old 07-23-2012, 08:19 AM

Graciesgrl, if I were in your place I would start by contacting any MWs you can find. Even if they are not working, or are working under the radar - they may have some leads for you. I would also seriously consider birthing out of state. We are fortunate in MD to live in a small state - many of us can be in another state within an hour. I would look in PA, DC, WV, VA (I hear DE is bad too). Heck, I may even consider the Farm if I were pregnant in MD. You can also try to PM members. Or try ICAN of Baltimore. Good luck! 

MyKidKissTrees likes this.

#30 of 40 Old 07-23-2012, 08:41 PM

graciesgrl - Where do you live?  When are you due?

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page