Extremely frustrated with the academic climate of Baltimore county. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-13-2012, 12:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My child will be 5 on November 23 so she can not enter kindergarten this fall even thought she is ready both with her maturity and knowledge base. I'm so frustrated by this. She is begging me to go and it breaks my heart to say no. I have been homeschooling her for about 2 years now but it has been very relaxed. 

I've called our assigned school as well as the office of early childhood education office. The school was very apologetic but the early childhood education office was just snarky. There is no test or anything they will do for her and even if we do homeschooling again this year she will just be placed in kindergarten next year when she will really be on a 1st grade math and 2nd grade everything else. 

The office of early childhood education assured me that kids worked closely with G&T but then when I asked for clarification G&T doesn't start until 2nd grade!

I'm not really sure what to do. I had planned to home school through elementary school but DD wanting to actually go to school has put a major kink in all my plans. 

Should I just not do school this year so she'll be on the same level as the other kids next year? Is that even fair to her? I'm not really sure what I should do.

Anyone with experience with a smart kid and a bad birth date?

Proud wife to DH, mommy to DD 11/23/07, our little rainbow1284.gif baby boy 2/19/12. We vbac.gifnocirc.gifwinner.jpgcd.gif delayedvax.gifselectivevax.gif.femalesling.GIF

namaste.gif   *****Remember to love your boobies once a month!*** ribbonpink.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2012, 08:10 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)

Hello, Mama!! 

I think I heard that you can petition in the City to allow kids in early but I'm not sure how that works, when the cut off is or if it's the same is the county. What I will say is that I imagine kids entering K come in with a HUGE range of ability and home education. Assuming you're sending your kid to a nice school, I imagine she will have her needs met. 

I know that my child started K not able to read at all but she had kids in her class reading books like "Charlotte's Web". Even now in 5th grade there is a huge range of ability. A good school can meet these needs well enough, IMO.  

I say, continue to teach her what she wants to learn. Let her guide you through this year. 

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif
Old 08-13-2012, 08:27 PM - Thread Starter

I guess that's what I'm worried about. The school we're assigned to isn't all that great from what info I can gather and we can't afford private or charter school. :-/

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdentityCrisisMama View Post

Assuming you're sending your kid to a nice school, I imagine she will have her needs met. 

Proud wife to DH, mommy to DD 11/23/07, our little rainbow1284.gif baby boy 2/19/12. We vbac.gifnocirc.gifwinner.jpgcd.gif delayedvax.gifselectivevax.gif.femalesling.GIF

namaste.gif   *****Remember to love your boobies once a month!*** ribbonpink.gif

Old 08-13-2012, 08:43 PM

Have you looked into your magnet school options. Magnet and Charters (I don't think there are many charters in the county though) are both free, part of the public school system.  

I guess I would say that if you're willing and able to homeschool and your neighborhood school is not good and you can't find any magnet or charter schools....that's a tough choice. Have you joined some of the homeschool groups? 

I am a big fan of public schools and think that it's not that hard to meet the needs of all the kids in the classroom BUT there is a limit as to which schools I would consider for my DC. I know there are many very good county schools...

Brainstorming here - would you consider moving to a better school district? I know that's not possible for everyone but it's something to consider. 

Old 08-13-2012, 08:50 PM - Thread Starter

No, we can't move. Though I had honestly considered using my MIL addy and taking DD to school in howard co. The whole school system here is very confusing. I grew up in northern VA and could tell you a lot about all the schools and systems there, it just seems so different here. I'd really like to meet some homeschool groups in the area and that would probably solve the whole issue all together since she only wants to go to be with other kids. Just having a hard time finding other kids her age in the area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdentityCrisisMama View Post

Have you looked into your magnet school options. Magnet and Charters (I don't think there are many charters in the county though) are both free, part of the public school system.  

I guess I would say that if you're willing and able to homeschool and your neighborhood school is not good and you can't find any magnet or charter schools....that's a tough choice. Have you joined some of the homeschool groups? 

I am a big fan of public schools and think that it's not that hard to meet the needs of all the kids in the classroom BUT there is a limit as to which schools I would consider for my DC. I know there are many very good county schools...

Brainstorming here - would you consider moving to a better school district? I know that's not possible for everyone but it's something to consider. 

Old 08-13-2012, 08:56 PM

I would start there because it sounds like the main issue is meeting friends. I mean, I love public school - the whole idea, the community and all of that but I think I also kind of get the homeschool thing. I met a HS mama here in Baltimore and she told me that the community here is really strong. Why don't you try posting for HS resources, groups and etc? How about the Baltimore AP Yahoo group. I just found out about them from another MDC mama and that's how I met the HS family. Also, look into the day programs in the city. If getting out and meeting kids is the main goal -- that can totally be accomplished this year. Then you can decide about school next year.  

Old 08-14-2012, 07:46 AM

I kind of have the same issue, I wanted to homeschool, my daughter is very bright, but she wants to go to public school, ride the bus, go with the friends that live next door to us. Her birthday is April so she is in with everyone else, I was told she was very bright beyond her years from the preschool teacher (in some things...and I am no means one to brag about my kid being smart or wanting her to be smart or anything like that) She can read, she can do math. She can do things they want kids to learn by the end of kindergarten. My husband talked to the teacher during a meet and greet about classes and levels, and they told him they are constantly assessing and moving kids around. I could be wrong, but I think you have to test to get into G&T program and I heard some tests are brutal (please correct me if I am wrong) so I am not sure I even want to do it. Also while I would love to homeschool, what she wants for now may be best because I can not keep up with her energy and curiosity. It's fun, but it is non stop. My huge problem is I know she knows stuff, but she thinks it is funny to give off the wall answers because she is bored. I fear a teacher will not recognize it when it took the preschool teacher a while to catch on. Anyway, we are going to wait and see. She can always skip a grade later if needed.

Please don't use your MIL address, that is illegall.You can ask to go in the school district and fill out forms if your child is out of district, but they can revoke it if the school is to capacity and you need a very good reason to do it anyway, as in it would be a hardship for your child NOT to go the school in howard county. I was considering it myself because the closest school to me in Howard County is less than 5 minutes away, but we are over the county line, so my daughter has to take a 30 minute bus ride to school in my county, it irks me. If your MIL is daycare (and can be proven) or your child lives there, then she can go to school there.

Mommy to 2 beautiful girls dust.gif4/07 and babyf.gif1/11

User Tag List