Need dentist recommendations within reasonable distance from Owings Mills, MD - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 08-24-2012, 11:51 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My preschool-age and toddler daughters' dentist has a good rep but he's got me angry and ready to quit his practice. He says DD1 (almos 4 YO) has 8 cavities and because she was fussy at her cleaning he wants her to give her fillings and possibly caps until general anesthesia at Sinai Hospital in Baltimore. I am doubtful about his assessment of number of cavities and angry that he wants to do this at the hospital under GA (dangerous, why not do it with nitrous oxide?) because of how she behaved during cleaning (plus the cost is ridiculous)? Hello, she's a preschooler and he wasn't exactly kind. And she did better this time around. Plus the hygienist was piqued that we hadn't started her on fluroide toothpaste yet. Oh, and he said that DD2 (21 months) is at risk for cavities (he said she has gingivitis) because I am night nursing her. He wants to see her in 3 months instead of the usual 6. Not true that she's at risk. The only thing DD1 likes about the dentist's office is the toys. I told her we're going to find someone else. This smells fishy to me. So, I am going to cancel both girls' appts, period, and need advice for a more naturally oriented dentist within a reasonable distance from the Owings Mills area. I need someone who takes Dental Dental of PA. Thanks.

#2 of 4 Old 08-24-2012, 02:35 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)

We can't say enough good things about Dr. Kohn in Hunt Valley - she's great and super friendly, understanding and WONDERFUL with kids. I will say that she seems to have fairly conservative views on teeth cleaning after nursing but she is well worth it for how she treats my kids!

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif
#3 of 4 Old 08-24-2012, 03:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Thanks. Could you explain a little more about why you like her?

#4 of 4 Old 08-24-2012, 03:43 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)

Sure. I was referred to her when my DC needed more work done than her new non-pediatric dentist was comfortable doing. The office is out Shwan Rd. You enter, and the office is VERY child-friendly. A big play structure, video games, the whole shebang. We are called back - all of us. And we have a one on one consultation with Dr. Kohn. She tells us what she'll do, what DC needs, how we will proceed. In addition, she was VERY helpful with insurance. She asked me which x-rays we had at our previous dentist so that we could get everything covered by insurance. Mama was grateful for that!  

On DC's first visit for her work, Dr. Kohn explained EVERY single move she took - showed all the instruments to DC, let her touch them and just generally was so, so open and attentive to telling DC what was happening. She also hid some of the more scary things like the needle, which showed her understanding of the balance between information and TOO much information. 

She had a nice system for DC to alert her when things were too much or painful. 

Hum...what else... 

Oh, I had told DC that she was having a tooth removed and DC was a bit anxious. Dr. Kohn told DC that the tooth was only coming out if it was already loose (a helpful fib). After the meeting she took me aside and gave me what I thought was very helpful advice for how to prepare DC without frightening her. 

What else...

Her appointments have always been on time -- we're often the only people in the office. She's even taken us early once. Very efficient but we never feel rushed. 

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page