Moving to MD - need help deciding where to live - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-17-2012, 05:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi all!  My husband will be starting a new job in Hanover, MD in January.  We're currently trying to figure out what area we'd like to live in, and I'd love suggestions.  We are coming from South Shore, MA where we are in a very suburban area near the water.  We have lots of hiking/outdoor activities nearby as well as a lot of CSAs/local farms at our disposal.  We have a 2 year old son so we'd also like to keep school systems in mind, however we had been thinking about sending him to a Waldorf school up here or possibly home schooling.  Any suggestions for areas to look at more closely or to avoid altogether?  Or anything else you think we should know or consider?  Thanks so much!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2012, 07:26 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

aside from what you mentioned, is there anything else you are interested in? Because there are CSA/local farms everywhere here and hiking trails are plentiful. Probably should go by commute time and how much you can afford to spend on housing, schools, etc. My DH has a requirement, we can live no more than 30 minute drive from his work. That can be difficult around here with traffic, so I would start with how long you want to spend commuting, how much you want to spend on housing (and even then you probably might have to sacrifice one or the other)

As for near the water, it's not "beachy" but Pasadena, MD and Curtis Bay (near Anne Arundel county and the Coast Guard, not the area in Baltimore City) Riveria Beach is near or you can get townhouses on the water for a reasonable price (you could at least, and I think prices have dropped however not sure if the community is still as nice as it once was). We lived there for a few years, not sure about local farms/csa close by, it was 5 years ago when we lived there. Again though, there is one way in and out (173) so it may be a long commute depending on traffic. And when the drawbridge goes up (no one would believe me when I was late for work because it was not on a schedule, just goes up when a tall ship comes by!)  That may be the closest waterfront area near Hanover, aside from downtown Baltimore City waterfront, which is really expensive

Mommy to 2 beautiful girls dust.gif4/07 and babyf.gif1/11

User Tag List