Sign-On Petition for Licensing CPMs in MD - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 09-28-2012, 07:25 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)

I signed! 

Quote:
License Certified Professional Midwives (CPMs) in Maryland so that families have the right to choose how they give birth. Licensure of CPMs will support an integrated maternity care system.

http://signon.org/sign/license-certified-profession.fb23?source=s.icn.fb&r_by=1505250

MyKidKissTrees likes this.

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif
#2 of 17 Old 09-28-2012, 11:34 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I signed!  I encourage everyone to sign this petition.  I had to leave the state to have the birth I wanted, and it is my hope that this legislation will help other moms have access to safe births. 

Wife to a wonderful DH, Mom to 3 amazing girls and one special boy, IBCLC, supporter of moms. 
#3 of 17 Old 09-29-2012, 03:50 PM

I signed it!!

*M* married to *K* (4/06)

Semi-crunchy, Christian Mama to...

My boys *K* (3/28/09) and *M* (12/31/10, NUCB) and My girl *M* (7/30/12, born at home)
#4 of 17 Old 10-02-2012, 04:18 AM

ı sıgned!!!!

DD1 7 1/2 years DS1 3 1/2 years And DS2   7/18/13
#5 of 17 Old 10-08-2012, 09:55 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I have some reservations about CPM licensing - I'm a twin mom, and worry that licensing will explicitly prevent MWs from treating other moms like me. 

But in hopes that Maryland can improve the bigger picture of maternity care in MD, I signed.  It's a good start!

(PS - I'm a Marylander now, despite what it says under my avatar.)

Mom to : Belle and Izzy
#6 of 17 Old 10-08-2012, 10:13 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gena 22 View Post

I have some reservations about CPM licensing - I'm a twin mom, and worry that licensing will explicitly prevent MWs from treating other moms like me. 

But in hopes that Maryland can improve the bigger picture of maternity care in MD, I signed.  It's a good start!

(PS - I'm a Marylander now, despite what it says under my avatar.)

You know, I do too! Some MW's in MD were quite vocal before all of this about why they chose to NOT be seek certification in MD, VA and other areas -- and that had a large bit to do with the restrictions on their practice. I had a HB in CA with all the restrictions that came with a certified (and recognized) MW and ended up with a transfer because the MW was not allowed to offer an IV (of all things!). 

There's actually a lot of the movement in MD right now that I don't quite jive with. Like the whole "Midwifery is not practicing medicine" thing and that there is one major branch of the movement that's being led by a man hide.gif (I feel like activism for a largely female service should be female run). 

But the way things stand now can not be and maybe it's time for some concessions. Right now there are very, few (dangerously few!) options for mothers.

The bill did not move though, btw. greensad.gif

#7 of 17 Old 10-08-2012, 11:04 AM

Gena - That's actually one of the bullet points that they are working with.  Maryland Families for Safe Birth wants to make sure that women and midwives get to decide what the appropriate care is. They are firm that they will not present a bill that will not allow VBACs, Twins, and other variations of normal as reasons to not be allowed to home birth.  

Last year's bill didn't go through, this is a new petition for this year's bill.  

You can see more info here - http://marylandfamiliesforsafebirth.org/

Wife to a wonderful DH, Mom to 3 amazing girls and one special boy, IBCLC, supporter of moms. 
#8 of 17 Old 10-08-2012, 11:36 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatyLinda View Post

Gena - That's actually one of the bullet points that they are working with.  Maryland Families for Safe Birth wants to make sure that women and midwives get to decide what the appropriate care is. They are firm that they will not present a bill that will not allow VBACs, Twins, and other variations of normal as reasons to not be allowed to home birth.  

Last year's bill didn't go through, this is a new petition for this year's bill.  

You can see more info here - http://marylandfamiliesforsafebirth.org/

Katy - are there two separate bills/petitions to sign?

I got this response a couple of weeks ago: 

Quote:
Below is a message that Del. Maggie McIntosh (MD-43) asked us to pass along in response to the petition “License Certified Professional Midwives in Maryland” (http://signon.org/sign/license-certified-profession), which you signed. This message was sent through the SignOn.org system, and your email address has NOT been shared with the sender.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello,
Thank you for registering your support for licensing midwives in Maryland. HB 1056, introduced by Del. Ariana Kelly during the 2012 regular legislative session, would have done exactly this. The bill was heard by the House Health and Government Operations Committee but failed to advance to the floor for a full vote.

I expect this bill will be introduced again during the 2013 legislative session and should it come to the floor for a vote I will keep your support in mind.

Please continue to share your thoughts on legislative issues important to you.

Sincerely,

Delegate Maggie McIntosh

#9 of 17 Old 10-09-2012, 10:59 AM

The petition you linked here is the new one to support this year's bill.  It is not the same as the one that was circulating last year to support last year's bill.  They had to have a new petition to go with the new bill since last year's didn't make it through...  

#10 of 17 Old 10-09-2012, 11:23 AM - Thread Starter

The above message is from the current bill - it links right back to the current petition. Honestly, it's not clear what the letter is really talking about. Does she mean to inform that there was an old bill and she is keeping us up to date about this new bill - seems a weird thing to write. What I thought it meant was that the bill for the petition linked did not pass. Either way, it's misleading and confusing. I think that if I wrote that Sign-on petition I would want to send a clarification because I think the email blast is confusing. Perhaps I'll just contact to be sure they know about the email. 

I have a friend who is a lobbyist and will ask her as well...

#11 of 17 Old 10-09-2012, 11:49 AM - Thread Starter

I'm looking this up for my own reference and will just share here if anyone else is interested: 

This is the April 2012 General Assembly

MDAAP Final Report
April 9, 2012
Maryland General Assembly 

House Bill 1056  –Health Occupations  – Licensed Midwives  introduced to license 
certified midwives generated significant discussion in the House  Health & Government 
Operations Committee.  The day of the bill hearing, hundreds of proponents of “home birth” 
allied in Annapolis including a large representation from Maryland’s Amish and Mennonite 
communities.  While the legislation itself would have licensed certified midwives who would not 
be required to have more than a high school diploma and limited experience, the bill hearing 
became a forum for discussion on access to home birth  – not on the professionals seeking 
certification.   
In addition to the physician community, the bill was opposed by the Physician and 
Nursing Boards as well as the certified nurse midwives with whom physicians have well-defined 
collaborative relationship.  The legislation did not advance but a letter from the Committee will 
be sent to the Department of Health and Mental Hygiene to look at the issues associated with 
home birth, why few certified nurse midwives are performing home births and what if any 
regulatory structure is appropriate for certified midwives.  Nationally, there has been a 
significant push to recognize certified midwives.  It is an issue that will require concerted 
attention given the apparent interest expressed by Committee members in providing access to 
home birth services.   

#12 of 17 Old 10-09-2012, 11:54 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatyLinda View Post

The petition you linked here is the new one to support this year's bill.  It is not the same as the one that was circulating last year to support last year's bill.  They had to have a new petition to go with the new bill since last year's didn't make it through...  

So, I think we're talking about next year's bill -- thinking of calendar years rather than legislative years. (Honestly, I don't know the lingo for how we talk about years and politics). This current petition is for early 2013. Right?  "Last year's bill" was April of 2012? 

#13 of 17 Old 10-10-2012, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdentityCrisisMama View Post

You know, I do too! Some MW's in MD were quite vocal before all of this about why they chose to NOT be seek certification in MD, VA and other areas -- and that had a large bit to do with the restrictions on their practice. I had a HB in CA with all the restrictions that came with a certified (and recognized) MW and ended up with a transfer because the MW was not allowed to offer an IV (of all things!). 

There's actually a lot of the movement in MD right now that I don't quite jive with. Like the whole "Midwifery is not practicing medicine" thing and that there is one major branch of the movement that's being led by a man hide.gif (I feel like activism for a largely female service should be female run). 

But the way things stand now can not be and maybe it's time for some concessions. Right now there are very, few (dangerously few!) options for mothers.

The bill did not move though, btw. greensad.gif

I understand about the man thing but the man is a homebirth dad with serious passion! I don't think any of us ladies could do a better job :)
#14 of 17 Old 10-10-2012, 08:41 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bedheadmaestro View Post

I understand about the man thing but the man is a homebirth dad with serious passion! I don't think any of us ladies could do a better job :)

Yea, I'm sure he's awesome. I tend to think of HB as a woman's rights issue and a little like it is so from the perspective of women as a minority. So, having a man at the "head" feels like a bad fit. It's also that the structure with a "leader" or president isn't representative of the ideals of the homebirth model, IME. Perhaps the nature of the political/non-profit status necessitates a formal structure but there is also a public face on the structure that would be better avoided (or downplayed), imo. I  would feel like this whether the head was a woman or a man - but I feel it's that much more important if we have a man in that role. But, HB is something different to everyone and it is not for me to say what it is for others. 

I talked to my lobbyiest friend today and think I have a better handle on how all of this stuff works. She thinks the letter from Delegate McIntosh was in error or at least not quite when and where it needed to be. She said it was probably aids trying to help inform. I wrote to the drafters of the proposal and let them know. She also said that McIntosh will not be on the committee to hear this petition anyway but that she's is certainly influential. And now, of course, I forget who she said will be voting for the proposal in January. 

One other thing she said is that when the time comes for the bill to get close that there may be a matter of HOURS in which to made some amendments in order to get it through. This is where who our core people are will really matter because decisions will need to be made quickly about which concessions we are willing to make to see it through. This is where the issue that Genna brought up will be really important. 

The biggest issue I have in MD is the climate of transfer care. I think that's the biggest treat to the safety of HB in MD and I believe it to be a core issue in some of the poor outcomes making headlines. I will say that if concessions are made I think I will be able to support many. After speaking to this lobbyiest, I wonder if this will be an incremental battle. 

I plan on writing a few letters this week to senators, delegates and etc. I am looking on advocacy sites to find the names of the most helpful people to write letters to. I will ask my friend and post here if I find anything. Does anyone know the names of the folks who will vote on this petition in January? 

#15 of 17 Old 10-10-2012, 11:37 AM

I suggest that if you have any issues that are of utmost importance, you bring them up with Jeremy. He really is very awesome and wants to hear what everyone has to say, because (like it or not) at this point he is the face of this issue to all the members of the workgroup and the representatives on the health committee. 

The fact of the matter is that pushing to create this bill and get it to the floor has been and is a TON of work, and Jeremy was the one willing to take that on. Wishing a woman pushed the issue and was the head of the organization is a moot point. (It also helps that he's from the more traditional medical model - an EMT - that gives him sway with people that automatically have more respect for traditional medicine)  The grassroots effort is all of us, women and men, writing letters and talking to people and getting signatures on the petition and working to get our opinions heard.

http://marylandfamiliesforsafebirth.org/ has a ton of info and if you sign up for their mailing list you'll get emails about how the working group is going and when to most effectively write to which representatives and senators. https://www.facebook.com/groups/289332374455860/ is the facebook group with more frequent updates.

#16 of 17 Old 10-10-2012, 01:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lieclose View Post

The fact of the matter is that pushing to create this bill and get it to the floor has been and is a TON of work, and Jeremy was the one willing to take that on.

That I have no doubt! I'm sorry if I'm coming across as ungrateful. I really do appreciate the efforts of everyone involved. love.gif  I admit that I didn't fully realize what a central operation this all was. I kind of figured it was several organizations working together. I'll look for updates...

#17 of 17 Old 10-25-2012, 01:02 PM

I was pleasantly surprised to see my delegate Dan Morhaim respond to my signing on the petition a few weeks ago.

He seems like a good, qualified representative to help us in this battle.

In his email, he noted his wife testified earlier in the year when the bill tried to get in.

Let's hope women are given the opportunity to make the best choices in any given situation.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page