Mothering Forum banner

Looking for a CNM for Maryland Homebirth.

1K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  veggieviola 
#1 ·
My husband and I are currently ttc our first child and would like to have a homebirth. I've spoken with our Insurance Provider (Carefirst Blue-Choice) and they will cover a CNM attended homebirth but I'm having the hardest time finding a CNM that will attend home births in Maryland -- especially anywhere near Westminster. Can anyone help?

#2 ·
It's going to be difficult to find a CNM who attends homebirths as they are typically attached to a medical practice (with an OB or hospital). It was my experience that CNMs were friendlier versions of doctors, but share the same medical mindset.

If you have the ability, I'd consider a CPM out-of-pocket or even a loan. It's a worthwhile investment!

Best of luck. And congrats!

#3 ·
I don't know of any CNMs left doing homebirth in the area. I left the state to have the birth experience I wanted with my last baby.

You may need to get creative to have the birth you want. Of course, if the midwifery bill makes it through this time you may be in luck.... You may consider doing what you can to help - http://marylandfamiliesforsafebirth.org/

Good luck. All of the home birth CNMs were shut down over the course of my last pregnancy. I wouldn't wish that stress on ANYONE. I hope you are able to find the birth you desire.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.