Loudoun County Midwives/The Birthing Inn - NoVa - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 01-01-2013, 07:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello. Brand new to this forum and looking for some help. We moved to the NoVa area recently and are now expecting baby #3. We had an amazing birth center experience in TX even though I had some high blood pressure/pre-eclampsia issues. The laws appear to be different here and the BC closest to me basically thought it best I didn't go with them to avoid being "risked out" at the end. (And I didn't want to pay an upfront fee and then end up having to pay for an OB/hospital stay anyways.)

So, I'm with Loudoun County Midwives and so far it's been a decent experience. They are definitely more medical minded than my previous midwives and at my last appt when I asked about the possible induction process (as I was induced with the other 2 pregnancies when my BP skyrocketed) she immediately said they'd use pitocin. I realize that's not the end of the world however I was able to use a cervial ripening agent and labor at home with my last 2 births which is MUCH more ideal than being hooked up at the hospital to an IV, pit and laying in bed until I just can't take it anymore.

I'm also anxious about how the hospital policies will effect my baby. We will refuse vax, eye gunk, vit K, circ but are fine with PKU & hearing tests. I really don't want the baby taken out of my sight at all for any reason during our entire stay. I don't know how feasible this is.

Basically my question is - have you birthed with LCM or at the Birthing Inn or have you doula'd for someone who has and what was the experience like. I realize every m/w and patient are going to be different but just to get a general feel. Honestly just thinking about birthing at a hospital makes me VERY very nervous and I really need to get over this mental block so I can go on to have a successful birth (and hopefully a pleasant one like my last 2.)

Thanks for reading all this if you did :)

-CC

#2 of 5 Old 01-01-2013, 08:58 PM

I'm in a different state--but I just wanted to post that your hospital-related requests are not out of the ordinary and are actually quite feasible.  In the large hospital systems I am familiar with, the norm is to keep babies with their moms 100% of the time unless the mom requests otherwise.

It would be a good idea to check out the hospital ahead of time to see what it is like.  That can help you to make a decision regarding where to give birth.  Call the hospital and ask to speak to the labor and delivery floor.  Once there, ask to speak with a nurse manager or charge nurse.  Schedule an appointment to visit the hospital and speak with that person (nurse managers and charge nurses can give you more definitive answers regarding policies than other nurses/aides will).

#3 of 5 Old 01-02-2013, 05:15 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)

I think my cousin was with LCM. Although her birth ended in a c-section, she was very happy with her LCM midwives. Her baby was malpositioned and if I am remembering correctly the LCM midwives attended an educational seminar on turning babies shortly after my cousin's birth. I think her impression was one of continuing progressive education in the service of their clients. Good luck with your birth! 

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif
#4 of 5 Old 01-04-2013, 07:40 PM

Hi!

I used LCM for my last birth. I had to be induced because I had 13 kidney stones that were starting contactions. I had Paula, and she was AHHHMAZING. I wanted a natural birth, but in the situation it wasn't feasible. I told her I wanted a GENTLE induction, as I had experienced hyperstimulation with my second labor. She started with a cook's catheter to dialate me, then low level pi. I wouldn't let the nurse up the pitocin, and it went wonderfully. I was on the birth ball, in the tub, etc. It was the most natural induction ever :) Paula got on her knees and kept the monitor in place, I didn't have to deal with it falling off all the time, etc. She was just really wonderful.

creative crunchy christian wife to J stillheart.gif, Mama to three boys and one baby on the way!  chicken3.gif  doula in training love.gif

#5 of 5 Old 01-09-2013, 04:03 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the replies. Mamaecho - thanks soooo much for your induction experience! I was worried about going straight to pit w/out having any gentle options before it (if it does come to induction again.)

Feeling more relieved after reading these for sure. I'll keep talking to them and also will ask lots and lots of questions at our hospital tour later this month :)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page