Sibling care during labor - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 05-10-2013, 04:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi Ladies,

My family just moved to MD and we are trying to figure out what to do with my 2 year old while i'm in labor.  I'm using a birth center so I don't anticipate being gone long but we don't have family or friends in the area.  I've tried googling sibling care, on call care etc without any success.  Does anyone know of any groups, services etc that provide care for a sibling with no notice.  I'm ok with bringing her to the birth or leaving her home.

#2 of 5 Old 05-10-2013, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CassMom View Post

Hi Ladies,

My family just moved to MD and we are trying to figure out what to do with my 2 year old while i'm in labor.  I'm using a birth center so I don't anticipate being gone long but we don't have family or friends in the area.  I've tried googling sibling care, on call care etc without any success.  Does anyone know of any groups, services etc that provide care for a sibling with no notice.  I'm ok with bringing her to the birth or leaving her home.

I haven't thought about this too much yet, as I'm still TTC, but I was thinking that my son might be there for my labor. At least part of it anyway, and depending on what time it happens. Maybe you could line up a babysitter who can work on notice like that? Or try calling some local doulas to see if they have any advice for you. Good luck!

Elijah Mercury (7/2009), TTC #2 with my new soon to be DH! Tattooed, 29 year old cancer survivor! treehugger.gif

#3 of 5 Old 05-11-2013, 01:24 PM

Try looking for drop in centers - there is one in Clarksville call Kids Time out Drop in child care. I know nothing about it except I know it is there, and I know there are other places like that in the area. You may want to call them in case, they aren't open all hours though. I went into labor and drove to the hospital at 2 am, so it wasn't an option for us. If you have a doula, you could just depend on the doula, and then your husband can watch your younger child. It may have to do if you have no family or friends in the area.

Mommy to 2 beautiful girls dust.gif4/07 and babyf.gif1/11
#4 of 5 Old 05-20-2013, 07:40 AM

I don't know where in MD you are, but here is a sibling doula option I just heard about: http://www.villagebirthcoop.com/Village_Birth_Coop/Labor_Support.html

whistling.gifMe, love.gif my wife, blowkiss.gifour son (2.5), and luxlove.gif our daughter (5 months)
#5 of 5 Old 05-20-2013, 07:51 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks, I eventually came across Village Birth while searching and have set up a sibling doula through them!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page