Hi Mamas! Semi-new to Baltimore looking for good Pediatrician and mom groups - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-26-2013, 01:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi there. I'm from Richmond but I am moving permanently to Baltimore next week. My beautiful daughter is 3. I have a fiancée (not DDs father) and a lot of support in the area, thankfully. Since I have been dealing with bi-polar and anxiety issues for 12 years, part of my plan for staying well in Maryland is meeting some more crunchy mamas like myself and becoming involved in some really supportive mom groups. I was a single mom for two years with relatively low income, so I've been dealing with a lot of judgment from other parents regarding my alternate lifestyle choices. It has actually been a huge source of stress for me. I am hoping that this move to Baltimore will be a fresh start and I am looking forward to making new friends for my daughter and myself.

Regarding pediatricians and our delayed vax schedule, I started going to Willoughby Beach Peds and --completely-- caved with the doctor into catching E up on her shots. DD has a huge fear of shots despite our old ped being extremely sweet and gentle, plus for 18 months I was able to nurse thru the vaccines. This most recent time two months ago DD had a total of four injections. DD stopped crying almost immediately and made a very proud statement about being a big strong girl for getting all her medicines. So it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, but I still feel like I don't want to go there anymore because I was pressured so badly. This was the only situation I have ever caved into medically.

Thanks for reading. Feel free to post some links or other helpful info about the various mom groups and natural family-friendly Pediatricians. Looking forward to hearing from you mamas smile.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2013, 09:59 AM

Were will you be moving too? I was trying to determine by the pediatrician's office, but they have locations on both sides of Baltimore!

Mommy to 2 beautiful girls dust.gif4/07 and babyf.gif1/11
Old 05-27-2013, 11:21 AM - Thread Starter

I will be in the Govane area of York Rd. Zip code is 21212. Thanks smile.gif
Old 06-09-2013, 11:49 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)

Govans is a nice area - I think you'll like it. It's convenient for Central Baltimore and also for the county, which has a lot of good resources. You will be relatively close to my Ped, Dr. Morgan-Cooper who I like and who is good on a delay/no-vax schedule. She's on University and Charles (ish) so probably a 10 minute drive. 

There is a cute playgroup in Charles Village. They used to be in St. Johns Church on Charles but they've moved since the summer. A trip to St. Johns or Charles Village community center should have info on where they meet now. 

The most crunchy seeming group I've gone to is the babywearing group. I think I may have found them through the cloth diapering store on the Avenue in Hampden (Soft and Cozy Baby). Soft and Cozy does some sort of mom's group, come to think of it...

Also, most of the libraries have a read aloud. And there's Storyville (Rosedale and on the west side somewhere). Of course, being public, it takes all kinds so it really depends on how attached you are to finding fellow crunchy mamas.  

Also, I have really enjoyed the camaraderie of the youth sports here. The Charles Village folks are just so sweet and it's a real community feeling at the sports. Very friendly, inclusive and diverse. 

What else...  

I'd frequent the many, many festivals we have - they're almost all family-friendly and attract the more "crunchy" families. OH!! The Waverly farmer's market.  

Also, consider a membership to some of our many kid-friendly museums. 

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif

User Tag List