VBA2C Waterbirth in Maryland? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-19-2013, 11:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello Everyone,

I am not currently pregnant, but would like to try for a vaginal birth after 2 C-sections via birthing tub my next time around. I live in Baltimore, MD. I was thinking about a birthing center, but DH is not keen on that idea at all. I have read NOVA Birthing Center in VA will take VBA2C, but it would take lots of convincing for my husband to come around; if at all. Anyone know of any hospitals in Maryland that allow VBA2C's in a birthing tub? Any ideas or suggestions are welcome. :)

Thanks,

Kelly

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2013, 11:53 AM - Thread Starter

So I just found out today Nova does not allow VBA2C. Looks like I will be looking into hospitals after all. Any thoughts??? 

Old 09-27-2013, 02:07 PM

I'm not aware of any hospital who allows a VBAC to waterbirth.  Most don't allow VBACs to enter water at all during labor.  You may consider a homebirth if a waterbirth is important to you.  When I was looking for a provider for my VBAC, Shady Grove was the only place I came up with that allowed a VBAC to labor in the tub.  

The Maryland Birth Network has their Bellies, Birth, & Babies Expo this Sunday.  There will be midwives, doulas, and other moms there.  It might be a great place for you to connect with and speak to people who could give you information to help you through the process.  

Wife to a wonderful DH, Mom to 3 amazing girls and one special boy, IBCLC, supporter of moms. 
Old 09-29-2013, 07:55 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply. I wish I could make it today! I will check out Shady Grove.

Old 09-29-2013, 06:01 PM

I just went to an info session at MCA: http://midwiferycareassociates.com/ They practice at Shady Grove. Their EFM is ambulatory, and you can get in the water with it. I don't know whether they do VBA2Cs but it's worth asking. 

Married to my favorite man in '07. Our firstborn came along in April 2012 (HBC), and our second is on the way, due sometime in May 2014 (planning an HBAC).
Old 10-02-2013, 10:34 PM

I met a mom today who had a successful VBA2C at Sinai hospital. I don't think they have waterbirth at all, but if you end up going the hospital route, that may be an option. FWIW, she said several of the OBs in the practice (esp. the younger ones) seemed to think VBAC wasn't an option. But when she asked the OB who'd done her last section, he was on board to try a VBAC, and even reminded her that was her goal when she experienced moments of doubt during her labor. She said she also took the hypnobirthing class at Sinai, which helped her a lot. If you'd like, I can ask her who she saw.

It's probably not a bad idea to check out Special Beginnings as well. I believe they only do VBACs at Anne Arundel Medical Center (rather than at the birth center), but the midwives are awesome.

Old 10-08-2013, 07:45 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you! I would love to have the OB's Name! This is great news! :) It hard enough to find VBAC friendly Docs let alone VBA2C. 

Old 10-08-2013, 07:45 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieL View Post

I just went to an info session at MCA: http://midwiferycareassociates.com/ They practice at Shady Grove. Their EFM is ambulatory, and you can get in the water with it. I don't know whether they do VBA2Cs but it's worth asking. 

Thank you! I will check out Shady Grove!

Old 10-08-2013, 12:06 PM

Special Beginnings only does VBACs at AAMC.  They do require constant monitoring, but they do have telemetry units, so you can be mobile.  However, once you're in the hospital the midwives have to follow hospital protocol.  

Wife to a wonderful DH, Mom to 3 amazing girls and one special boy, IBCLC, supporter of moms. 
Old 10-09-2013, 09:46 PM

Saw the mom who delivered at Sinai today...she said Silverman was the one at the delivery, but that Chaudhry also seemed to be on board with supporting VBA2C. I have no idea whether moms get to deliver with their preferred OBs, or if its one of those luck of the draw things in terms of who's on call. Maybe the folks at ICAN would be able to give you more information about how supportive Sinai tends to be about VBAC in general? HTH!

Old 10-12-2013, 07:08 PM

If water birth is particularly important to you, I think Mercy is the only hospital in Baltimore that has birthing tubs. I don't know what their stance on VBACs is though. I imagine they are becoming more conservative. Kathleen Sloane just announced she'll be closing her practice early in 2014 (March, I think.) This is a great loss for Baltimore moms and babies. Support for evidence-based birthing is on the decline. You may want to begin doing research on the CPMs in the area and find out which would be willing to support you in a VBA2C. Many of them will supply birthing tubs for a home water birth.

User Tag List