Choosing a hospital to have baby in Montgomery County - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 01-07-2014, 05:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We live in the Kentlands and are considering both hospitals for having our little one (due in a couple of months). Which hospital would you prefer? We took a tour of both & cannot quite decide which to go for. 

• While Shady Grove is closer to our place, the docs prefer Montgomery General. 
  • We have had a complication free pregnancy so far & dont expect the Level III NICU to play a dominant role in our decision. 
  • Both hospital seems to have experienced nurses & similar amenities in the L&D room & post-partum. 

Any down-sides of driving 30 minutes to Montgomery General in Olney versus 5 minutes to Shady Grove? Any upsides of Shady Grove given that 4 times more number of babies are born there every year than Montgomery General? 

Any input appreciated. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 01-11-2014, 07:42 AM
Administrator

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)

Welcome bingroyee! Congratulations on your pregnancy and upcoming birth! I just wanted toi bump your post up for attention. But I also want to suggest you join our Due Date Club for your due date month. We have lots of moms due the same time and you can take part in the support and experiences sharing posting as well as our upcoming baby shower giveaway. Check out the Due Date Clubs and join yours! 

#3 of 4 Old 02-08-2014, 12:17 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi, maybe you have made your decision by now, but one factor you might consider is that Shady Grove has midwives who work there, while I don't think Mont. Gen. does (not positive on that...but never heard that they do).  So even if you aren't a midwifery client, you might find that some of the nurses there might be more used to supporting normal birth and how to facilitate that- such as being able to move around in labor, eat/drink, be with your baby immediately after birth, encouraging breastfeeding immediately, rooming in, etc.  I have heard that Shady Grove is going for Baby Friendly status which would indicate that they're in the process of getting trained in that stuff and integrating into their everyday practice so you may not need to "fight" for it.  

Again,not sure about MG's policies on those things but it might be something you'd want to look into as you make your decision.  

Good luck!

#4 of 4 Old 02-09-2014, 05:01 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I gave birth at Shady Grove with Midwifery Care Associates.  So I can speak to my experience there.

For a hospital birth, I feel that Shady Grove was really good.  The nurses and staff that I dealt with were super supportive of our "natural" requests.  Everything is done in-room with the baby and no one questioned our request for no eye goop, vitamin K, and hep B shot.  As far as hospitals go I found Shady Grove to be pretty progressive.  I was frustrated after birth by conflicting information I received from the nurses (you must feed baby every 2 hours, lots of pressure there) and the lactation consultant (he'll eat when he's hungry, you're doing a great job and he won't starve).

Should I get pregnant again I'm going to pursue a homebirth more aggressively, but if I needed to do a hospital birth I would return to Shady Grove.  Just for reference, we are much closer to FMH but felt the atmosphere there is not at all natural friendly.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page