Where to live in Metro-DC area - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 02-10-2014, 07:19 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Hello,  my family (DH, DS-almost 5 mo, and me) will be relocating to the Metro D.C. area in May.  We have no idea where to start looking in terms of housing.  DH says he'd prefer a house to an apartment.  We are on a fairly tight budget, though.  We need to be either in D.C. or a relatively short commute from Columbia Heights.  Any tips on good areas for young families - affordable, safe, nice things to do with a little kid nearby.  We are a multi-racial family and would prefer to live in a more diverse area.

Excited, anxious and proud to be pregnant for the first time! My partner and I can't wait to meet the little boy sometime around Sept 20th.

#2 of 5 Old 02-12-2014, 11:36 AM
Administrator

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)

That's quite a move! Good luck finding something affordable and in a great family-friendly neighborhood. 

Anyone have any suggestions to offer?

#3 of 5 Old 02-13-2014, 05:07 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What does a tight budget mean for you? DC is pretty expensive, and houses are generally more than apartments, so it really depends on how much you can pay. Columbia Heights itself might be a good choice for you--relatively affordable, fairly diverse, with a lot going on.

whistling.gifMe, love.gif my wife, blowkiss.gifour son (2.5), and luxlove.gif our daughter (5 months)
#4 of 5 Old 02-17-2014, 05:36 AM

I highly recommend the Southwest neighborhood, that's where we live! It's one of the more affordable (which means row homes around 6-700's condos around 300's, but row homes only stay on the market about 2 weeks) it's a great investment because the area is getting totally revamped. We rent, but we love the neighborhood, feels very cozy and it's a straight shot down the green line to Columbia Heights. The NE is would be a good spot too, maybe look at Fort Totten. I don't think those neighborhoods are quite as nice as SW but may be a little more affordable. As for diversity, it's a city so you'll get it pretty much everywhere except maybe a couple of areas that aren't even remotely affordable.
#5 of 5 Old 02-21-2014, 10:01 AM

Having a "fairly tight budget" is tough in this area, because good luck if you find a modest 1br for ~1k. Then again, and I'm .pretty sure that renting costs more per month than owning.

My fiance, roommate and I rent 3br house in Alexandria near Huntington metro for $1975. Zip code 22306. $1975 is awesome inexpensive for a house because rents are sky-high. We trade the affordable rent + lots of room for a longer commute. It takes me about 1h to get to work, and 1.5 max to get back on public transportation, but totally worth it. I got used to the commute quickly. If you plan to ride metro, the yellow line from Huntington area goes directly to Columbia Heights. They're on opposite ends of the line, so it's half an hour on the train without transfers. Huntington is the end of the line, so you're pretty much guaranteed a seat on the way to DC.

This part of Alexandria has things to do with a babe. My babe isn't born yet, so there are many cool spots I don't know yet. But the two where I plan to spend lots of time are:

Huntley Meadows Park, a nature preserve/bird migration preserve. The best part about this place is the boardwalk through the marsh. There are tons of birds, turtles, tadpoles to watch. Ten miles down the road is Mason Neck Park, a small VA state park. You can stroll the loop trails that lead up to the scenic Pohick Bay, and rent boats or even camp the night. These are special places in our heavily-developed region.

We rent through Davies Realty in Falls Church.

Silver Spring, MD is another area much closer to Columbia Heights than Alexandria where you may find a nice place to live at a reasonable rate. If you like nature, Rock Creek Park also runs out to Silver Spring and I found an inexpensive (rent controlled apartment) there two years ago. I only lived in MD for a year, and don't know which parts of it to recommend. Also, I don't drive and have always lived in areas with good public transport. So that's all I know to suggest to you. (traffic in this area is crazy, by the way so you may be served very well by having metro nearby)

The Del Ray neighborhood in Alexandria is full of children. I have never seen as many young kids/young families strolling a main street  as  there on Sunday morning. I don't know how much housing costs there, but it's a diverse area and you're sure to find playmates. The part of Del Ray I'm referring to is close to the address 2016 Mt. Vernon Ave., Alexandria, Va. 22301.

Good luck. Just keep looking and you'll find an affordable place in a neighborhood you like. My parents and our family have.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page