Home birth midwives in Maryland - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 06-25-2014, 12:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Home birth midwives in Maryland

Hi. I am newly pregnant and was hoping for a home birth. I knew the climate for midwives was getting harsh, but are they all gone now? I followed some leads and have gotten nowhere. I made an appointment with a midwife group at a hospital but I do hope that's not my only choice. They also didn't seem all that welcoming.

So does anyone know of currently practicing home birth midwives? Or, perhaps, really hands off obs? I am in Towson.
#2 of 8 Old 06-26-2014, 04:30 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDgal View Post
Hi. I am newly pregnant and was hoping for a home birth. I knew the climate for midwives was getting harsh, but are they all gone now? I followed some leads and have gotten nowhere. I made an appointment with a midwife group at a hospital but I do hope that's not my only choice. They also didn't seem all that welcoming.

So does anyone know of currently practicing home birth midwives? Or, perhaps, really hands off obs? I am in Towson.
I don't know the area up north, but your best bet is probably birth options alliance yahoo group.
#3 of 8 Old 06-26-2014, 04:39 AM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
You might try being in touch with my midwife, Susan Dodge. She practices pretty far south of you, in the Crofton area, but she's very active and knowledgeable and might be able to point you in some helpful directions. Her email address, along with contact info for several others who might be able to assist, can be found here: http://marylandhomebirth.webs.com/localmidwives.htm

Good luck!
#4 of 8 Old 06-26-2014, 06:29 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you both. I do have an inquiry out for Susan Dodge. The rest are much, much further away and don't travel this far.

How crazy would it be to move just to have a baby? I have heard of people renting hotel rooms but I am sure I won't do that. Is there something about Baltimore that is keeping midwives away?

This is kinda making me mad now.

Again, thanks. Wish me luck!
#5 of 8 Old 06-28-2014, 11:31 AM

You likely won't find any info on a public forum like this. You may want to check out Maryland Friends of Midwives or Maryland Families For Safe Birth and join the fight to legalize CPMs and allow moms greater access to the care they want.

There are other homebirth options, but they are practicing outside of the law, so you won't find their info publically. Meeting other moms, attending the local Birth Circles, La Leche League Meetings, etc will be your best bet to finding the care you are looking for.

Good Luck!

Wife to a wonderful DH, Mom to 3 amazing girls and one special boy, IBCLC, supporter of moms. 
#6 of 8 Old 07-06-2014, 05:53 PM

You also could consider a birth center birth. It definitely isn't the same as home birth but it is better than a hospital and you don't have the same legal difficulties as with a home birth. I have friends who go to this one and really like it:
http://www.specialbeginnings.com/
#7 of 8 Old 07-11-2014, 06:40 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Mom3 View Post
You also could consider a birth center birth. It definitely isn't the same as home birth but it is better than a hospital and you don't have the same legal difficulties as with a home birth. I have friends who go to this one and really like it:
http://www.specialbeginnings.com/
Thanks. Yes. I have looked into that birth center. For me, though, I'd have to rent a car to get there. And, never minding the feasibility and expense of that, I don't know which is worse, traveling while in labor or buckling in an hours old newborn (BTDT).

But, what are the legal difficulties with home birth? I've had two at home so far and can't imagine a problem unless I had a midwife there. But since I am considering that option now, home or otherwise, that point would be moot. Are there legal issues specific to home birth or just the use of a doctor/midwife?

I'm thinking I am low risk and so going to a hospital or birth center would actually increase the chance of an unfortunate event. I just wish I had more choices. I wish I could hire a midwife to talk to, order labs, if we decided they were needed, and just be in touch if something came up. So far, it seems that everyone I've talked to is interested in managing my pregnancy and birth according to policies set up in their various institutions. And so far, too many of those policies are not evidence based.

In the interest of safety, sounds like I might have to forgo assistance again. It's just so much work doing this on my own! Well, raising kids isn't supposed to be without its challenges.

Still looking...but not hopeful.
#8 of 8 Old 07-11-2014, 09:07 PM

CPMs are not licensed in MD and CNMs need an OB back-up which is very hard to come by for homebirths. There is a Baltimore Birth Circle meeting on the 16th, you will likely find lots of like minded women there to talk with about their experiences. http://www.marylandbirthnetwork.com/Events.html

Wife to a wonderful DH, Mom to 3 amazing girls and one special boy, IBCLC, supporter of moms. 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page