2008-09 local Homeschoolers Roll Call - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-25-2009, 02:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We're not too close, but the beauty of hsing is the idea of field trips and new friends right? Where bouts in Fairfax are you....my dh is a firefighter in Loudoun, and I have a sis in Arlington....so somewhat familiar with Nova.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2009, 02:56 PM

I'm in Springfield so a bit south of that area.

I guess I love the idea of field trips and making new friends, but I don't know how to take the first step. Where are the groups? How do I begin? I just feel really lost. On top of it all, ds LOVES preschool and he gets in tears when I mention that some parents teach their kids. I want to find some groups to show ds what it's really like and I absolutely have to figure out if I can offer him the social interaction that he craves on a daily basis. Even when he was just months old he needed to be out and around lots of people or he was miserable. He was a great first baby, the only way to keep him happy was to go out to eat, out to shop, hang out with friends, lol.

Rachel, mom to Jake (5/04) and Alexia (7/07) a surprise UC thanks to hypnobabies!
Old 02-28-2009, 12:38 AM

Your name (or username of you prefer): Sarah
# of kids: 2; one in utero

Kids' ages : almost 6; 2.5.

How long have you been homeschooling: This is our first year
What type of homeschooler do you consider yourself: relaxed eclectic
Any curriculum you recommend: Sonlight (Secular); Singapore Math

Please share a local homeschooling tip here: The library

What area do you live in: Eastern Shore MD. near Salisbury
Can other homeschoolers in your area PM you to hang out: Please do! I'd love to hang out. My son would love to meet more homeschooled friends too!

Sarah-DS 4/03, DD7/06, DS 5/09
Old 03-05-2009, 12:09 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hey trailblazerbarbie and Shelsi,

In my experience, homeschooling kindergarten is pretty easy as far as academics go. Also, a lot of "preschool" aged activities still let five year olds participate. My dd takes a preschool gymnastics class on Tuesdays from 1-3 and we go to some preschool storytimes at the library.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
14yo ds   11yo dd  9yo ds and 7yo ds and 2yo ds  
Old 05-05-2009, 11:37 AM

Hello all,

If anyone is still here ... I am a Maryland Eastern Shore native living in Costa Rica, and getting ready to move back to the Eastern Shore now in June.

Your name (or username of you prefer): Judi
# of kids: 2
Kids' ages: 7 and almost 2
How long have you been homeschooling: 2 months!
What type of homeschooler do you consider yourself: SECULAR
Any curriculum you recommend: Modified workbox system
Please share a local homeschooling tip here:
What area do you live in: Probably Somerset County/Crisfield. Also we spend time in Ocean Pines, and Georgetown, Delaware.
Can other homeschoolers in your area PM you to hang out: Absolutely, please, please please!!

Judi
Old 05-05-2009, 08:38 PM

Judi please PM me when you get into town. I live a bout 30 minutes from Crisfield near Chincoteague and would love to get together! There are so few MDC homeschooler in the area I am beginning to think I'm the only one......My DS is 6 so maybe the boys will hit it off!

Sarah-DS 4/03, DD7/06, DS 5/09
Old 05-05-2009, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahf. View Post
Judi please PM me when you get into town. I live a bout 30 minutes from Crisfield near Chincoteague and would love to get together! There are so few MDC homeschooler in the area I am beginning to think I'm the only one......My DS is 6 so maybe the boys will hit it off!
Awesome, Sarah, thanks for the note! My older is a girl, and the baby is a boy. My girl is impulsive type ADD, so she's pretty physical and plays like a boy, just dressed as a princess She's a tree climber, with dirt pretty firmly embedded under her nails, so she can run with the boys, no problem!!
Old 05-08-2009, 11:16 PM

Hey Mamas

I know we are not suppose to sell things on local boards? Right? But I have Alpha Omega grades 1-5 and Bob Jones music curriculum Grades 1-5 I'm trying to sell super cheap. No use trying to sell them anywhere but locally as it would be more to ship them. If your interested email me [email protected] I will also be trying to sell them @ the NAP yard sale if you would rather just have a look before buying

Erin Mama to thing 1 and 2 WAH with CELIAC?! Living and Learning
Old 05-10-2009, 01:30 PM

Hi, wow 2008-2009 is almost over, I guess I just found this thread so I thought, better late than never! We live in Easton on the Shore and just started homeschooling this winter. We really only school our oldest child but dd tags along to the friday meetings at the co-op, too. I say school loosely since ds is only 3 and I'm really not stressed to school him yet at all, just something to do and get an idea of what homeshooling would be like at a later age.

# of kids: 2
ages: 1 and 3
how long: since feb 2009
type: none just learning as we go
cirriculum: none again! we go to co-op meetings on fridays, I feel like ds is really too little to be worried about a cirriculum yet, kinda thinking that would be the beauty of homeschooling - to not worry about the cirriculum!
local homeschooling tip: have fun!
area: eastern shore
pm's?: yes, please!

User Tag List