Anyone seen Dr. Amina Watson (pediatrician) in Upper Marlboro, MD? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 08-26-2008, 12:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm looking for information on Dr. Watson, who has an office in Upper Marlboro, MD and possibly another office in Maryland. I've heard she's AP-friendly, but I'd like confirmation. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 08-26-2008, 02:21 PM

subscribing! i'm in bowie and would be interested to hear about her too.
#3 of 6 Old 08-26-2008, 04:25 PM

no info but I read info on her on
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/AP_Doctor_Referral/
Quote:
Dr. B is a family practice doc, very friendly toward extended BF'ing
mothers. He has recently added Dr. Watson, a pediatrician, to his
staff. Dr. Watson is very BF-friendly and is friendly toward families
planning homebirth. She's fine with delayed/selective vaccination and
not overly antibiotic-happy. She is working toward a degree in
naturopathy and considers alternative treatments for things like ear
infections. Very friendly with parents and kids, and she is big on
watching "her" patients grow. Patients see Dr. Watson for all well
visits; can see her or Dr. B for sick visits, or can see Dr. W in her
other office in Waldorf. Easy to get appointments with this group, and
staff is friendly.
HTH
#4 of 6 Old 08-27-2008, 12:43 AM - Thread Starter

That Yahoo group is where I got her name from, Jenjen, but I can't find anyone who has actually seen her! Hope someone responds to this post
#5 of 6 Old 09-27-2008, 01:32 AM

We've been with her for almost a year after we moved to Maryland. My son has seen her for 2 well exams (15 & 18 mos), and has seen her twice in the last couple of weeks for a cough that he has had for the last few weeks.

Here is what we've discussed in the 4 appointments that we've had with her:

Vax - open to all different schedules and even not vaxing (we don't vax at all and she is fine with that!)
Homebirth - supportive (I mentioned to her that I would love to do a hb with any future children - my son was born in a birth center, and she seemed quite supportive of either as long as mom was healthy)

She has a very calm demeanor. My concern is she does seem a bit antibiotic happy after she prescribed my son an antibiotic for bronchitis (which is a viral infection). She also prescribed an oral steroid, which I thought was a bit much considering his symptoms (and I confirmed this with his former pediatrician!). She doesn't seem to be well versed in natural type of remedies. Nevertheless, she is the only ped in the area (AA or PG counties) that is fine with not vaxing that I have come across thus far.

Though we have never discussed it, my opinion is that she would be fine with EBF. Also, I know another mom that takes her children to see her and they also cosleep, but were trying to transition their toddler to his own room, and Dr. Watson suggested CIO saying that the parents were the bosses not the children. We cosleep, but I just don't talk with her about it!
#6 of 6 Old 09-28-2008, 11:25 AM

Yes! She was our ped for about 18 months, until we moved. We loved her and were so sorry to leave her. She didn't bat an eye at DS being born at home, nor with my nursing DD during my pg with DS (not sure I ever discussed tandem nursing with her specifically). She was totally fine with BF'ing DS and wasn't concerned that he was still EBF (no solids) at 9 months, though she did say that we probably should introduce some solids around then just to start getting him used to them. Supportive of cosleeping, babywearing, cloth diapering, and homeschooling too. Oh, and she handles intact boys correctly -- as in, she leaves them alone! I think at a couple of visits, she checked for DS's testicles but left his penis completely alone, and on most visits, she just opened his diaper and did a quick look but no touching anything. Never got any hassles about how we ought to have him circ'ed either. She's very respectful and accepting of parents' desires. I always felt like I was definitely in charge and that she was just happy to assist me in any way she could, which is how it should be, IMO.

Vaxes -- we chose to do a few for DS and asked for her opinion on which were most important (Hib and Prevnar were my requests; she also though DTaP was important), but a couple of times I had to ask about the shots, as she would sometimes forget that we did any at all and would have been totally fine with non-vaxing completely. She also felt that BF'ed babies were fine to wait several months before doing any vaxes. Her nurse (Wanda, if she's still there) was really good at doing the shots quickly too and had a lovely demeanor. I know Dr. W has interests in naturopathy and I think was working toward more education in that; she wasn't too antibiotic-happy from the limited experience I could see; at one infant checkup, DS's ears looked a tiny bit red after a cold, like an infection might be coming on, but I requested to bring him back in a week to see, instead of doing abx right away -- she was cool with that, and sure enough, in a week, he was fine and didn't need the abx.

Dr. W is very sweet and gentle too. My DD has never cared for docs or anyone poking at her, and my DS was pretty shy, but both liked Dr. W a lot, and I found it easy to talk to her too. Her partner, Dr B, was my doc, and he's good and very nice, perfectly fine for adults, though not quite as warm and kid-friendly as Dr. W; we never took the kids to Dr B though. Not difficult to get an appointment with them, and their hours vary all over the place to accommodate more people. The things I didn't like were that the waiting room also holds adults, so I was always concerned about the kids getting more germs when coming in for well visits, and that we often waited for a long time. But when we did finally get to see the doctor, she never skimped on time with us.

ETA: Oh, and she remembered that our kids don't watch TV and made sure to give them stickers that had things like butterflies instead of Dora. I thought that was really awesome that she remembered and was so respectful!

Also ETA: She would give out these little packets of information, stuff like how to get your baby to sleep, or how to introduce solids, sheets copies from various childcare manuals. Mostly I thought that stuff was pretty lousy and not AP-friendly, and it didn't really jive with what she said during an appointment, so I threw it out. I just thought it was a little weird that she gave that stuff out, but at the same time, she sees a lot of kids of less-informed parents, so advice to wait until 4-6 months for solids, for instance, might actually be an improvement, if people were thinking that they needed to do cereal in bottles at 2 months. She wasn't pushy with the stuff, just handed it out in a folder at each well visit.

Mama to four: 10, 7, 3, and 1

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page