Might be moving to Alexandria area... need advice! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 09-03-2008, 03:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
As I type this dh is interviewing at a company in Alexandria that has flown him up there. If he gets this job we're going to have to find a house to rent up there quickly. I really don't know much about that area at all (we currently live in Orlando) The company is a block away from a metro stop and dh is hoping to commute that way. Our biggest priorities are...

A really safe area (biggest priority)
really good public schools (2nd biggest priority)
ease of commute

We don't mind paying more to have these things cause they are so important. Ive been searching craigslist like crazy and cross referencing with greatschools.net It seems like the public schools in Alexandria aren't very good, so we'd probably have to live somewhere else. Ive been looking at Vienna, which some nice, but Im not sure about the commute. DH doesn't mind a long train ride cause he can work on the train.

Can anyone help me?? Thanks!

Mother of 3, welcomed a new baby girl July 2011

#2 of 5 Old 09-06-2008, 11:05 AM

I lived in Fairfax for a bit when I was high school age and loved that area. My dad commuted to the Pentagon using the bus and then the commuter rail system in Burke (adjacent to Fairfax).

Fairfax, Burke, Springfield--all have great school systems and boast safe, suburban living. They are longer commutes for your DH for sure.

My stepsister lived in Shirlington/Fairlington area until recently and loved it there. It's spendy but literally minutes from the monuments and the DC Mall. Good community there, too, although I don't know anything about the schools.

Vienna does have great schools, too, and a metro is easily accessible.

Best of luck and let me know if you have other questions

Walking in the light with DH, DD (11/08), DS (4/10) , four dogs, and one insouciant cat.
#3 of 5 Old 09-16-2008, 04:51 PM

Hi - I understand the concern with moving to a new area - I moved to Alexandria 2 years ago. I had the luxury of having family already in the area who were able to help me out.

I currently rent a condo in Belle View - great quiet neighborhood off of the GW Parkway, walking distance to Old Town and a wonderful little shopping center up the street. I like this neighborhood for it's small town feel. Belle View Elementary is in the neighborhood as well. I have heard good things about it.

My son goes to Stratford Landing Elementary - this school was rated higher than the others in Alexandria and I have been very happy with it. My family lives not far from Stratford Landing behind INOVA hospital - River Farms - another great neighborhood - lots of children.

I would avoid anywhere located directly off of Route 1 - they are "revitalizing" but there are some sketchy areas. Try craigslist and a realtor for rental houses - this is how I found my condo. Generally, anywhere off of the GW Parkway is nice. Hope this helps.

Proud mother of my 11 yr old DS ROTFLMAO.gif, expecting DD in March 2012 belly.gifand engaged to bass player/land development extraordinaireguitar.gif

#4 of 5 Old 09-18-2008, 11:00 PM

How about Arlington or Falls Church? Arlington has great schools, so they say, and is also on the metro.
#5 of 5 Old 09-19-2008, 11:29 AM - Thread Starter

We decided to stay put for now.. thanksfor all t he advice!

Mother of 3, welcomed a new baby girl July 2011

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page