Eastern Shore Mamas...Join us HERE!!! - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-31-2008, 07:15 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi, mamas! Just bumping us up. :

Rebecca, hope you are cuddling your newest little one right now!

Just thought I'd let you know so you can keep an eye out for it--there will be a short babywearing article in the November issue of Delmarva Youth magazine.

We'll be doing the Halloween thing today....DD is beyond excited. I'm dreading all the junk, but trying not to be too uptight about it. Gonna stop by the hfs to get a few 'healthy' treats to trade her for all the Smarties and Dum-Dums. We'll see if that works. She's like her Mama and would rather have chocolate anyway, so....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2008, 12:05 PM

*Bump*

I haven't been on here in a while. How's everyone doing?

Rachel, I saw your article in Delmarva Youth - Great job!!
Old 11-19-2008, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama2claire View Post
Rachel, I saw your article in Delmarva Youth - Great job!!
Thanks! They left off the entire first paragraph and didn't include the list of resources I sent, though Super cute picture of lolo'smom & baby Molly! And I'm glad it ran before the Motrin ad fiasco : so hopefully some parents were influenced postively instead. BTW, babywearing meeting tomorrow, 10am, Go Green Baby...

Braving the :. Ugh. Trying to come up with more indoor toddler friendly activities in the area....any ideas? You can only go to the library so many times a week, yk?
Old 11-20-2008, 10:35 AM

I am trying to reverse the VBAC ban at Easton but am needing to find a woman who was affected in the past, present, or will be affected in the future to take a simple step to help. Please PM me if you can help.

Barbara Stratton
Author of "50 Ways to Protest a VBAC Denial"
Old 11-22-2008, 03:04 PM

Hi, i really need to find a non vax friendly dr for my kids .We got thrown out of Chesapeake Pediatric for not vaxing and co sleeping ( do not go to Dr. Taylor if you do these things,he was horribly unprofessional with us when we would not agree with him)so if any of you know of a good dr. we are willing to travel.
Thanks,
Raya( homeschool mom to three 12,5,and 3 months)
:::::ho mebirth
Old 11-22-2008, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by praisebetohim View Post
Hi, i really need to find a non vax friendly dr for my kids .We got thrown out of Chesapeake Pediatric for not vaxing and co sleeping ( do not go to Dr. Taylor if you do these things,he was horribly unprofessional with us when we would not agree with him)so if any of you know of a good dr. we are willing to travel.
Thanks,
Hi! I will PM you with my experiences....
Old 11-29-2008, 10:03 PM

WOW! Isn't that illegal? We use CHildrens Medical Group (Dr Clendennen, Panni & Yamakawa), but I don't know that I would recommend them, particularly Dr Y.....I've had several "issues" with them as far as vax go. Good luck, I hope you are able to find another pedi in the area who is more understanding of your needs for raising your child(ren).
Old 11-30-2008, 11:12 AM

What?! That's just crazy isn't it? Can they do that? Personally, both my kids see Dr. Kovacs, we vaxed Gracie by the standards but when Zach came along, I had done some research. So we selectively vax him, Dr. Kovacs didn't really have a problem with it. I made my wishes known and he had to abide by them. Of course, we never mention the co-sleeping ...there are just some things I feel that he doesn't need to know even to provide my kids with good care. Just like he didn't/doesn't know we breastfed Gracie until 17months and Zach is still going strong!!! Good Luck finding a doctor that will respect your beliefs.

Charity - BW, BF, Co-Sleeping WOHM to Gracie (1/06) & Zachary (11/07)-WOW! I'm crunchier than I thought!! :
Old 12-04-2008, 03:18 PM

Sorta OT, but this issue has me :: Please, local mamas, read this link....the proposed legislation will affect all WAHMs and small businesses--cloth diapers, baby carriers, Waldorf toys, Etsy sellers, knitters and seamstresses who sell at local craft fairs, etc. http://www.handmadetoyalliance.org.
Old 12-09-2008, 03:13 PM

hey, thanks beachbaby for the recomendation we have an appointment with her today. In response the the other replies i wish it was illegal but its not and i liked Dr Kovacs too until this (he was involved and signed the letter stating they would no longer serve our family)And I had no idea cosleeping was such an issue when he asked where she slept i was honest ,oh well.
thanks for the help and sympathy guys.
Raya:::
Old 01-05-2009, 05:48 PM

Just checking in with my local mamas! Hope everyone is well!

Raya, I hope the appt. went well and you can find a HCP you can trust.
Old 01-16-2009, 04:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachbaby View Post
Hi, mamas! Just bumping us up. :

Rebecca, hope you are cuddling your newest little one right now!

Just thought I'd let you know so you can keep an eye out for it--there will be a short babywearing article in the November issue of Delmarva Youth magazine.

We'll be doing the Halloween thing today....DD is beyond excited. I'm dreading all the junk, but trying not to be too uptight about it. Gonna stop by the hfs to get a few 'healthy' treats to trade her for all the Smarties and Dum-Dums. We'll see if that works. She's like her Mama and would rather have chocolate anyway, so....
Hey there! sorry its been a while., hope the holidays were great for everyone! Quick update- yes, Caden is finally here! He unfortunately had to arrive c-section, as he turned breech again in week 41, and we tried desperately to get him turned but he just wouldn't so I went in to be cut open on Halloween morning at exactly 42 weeks. He wasn't as big as we thought, only 9 lbs 6 oz and 22 inches, a bit smaller than his older brother. I hated the c-section, certainly a far cry from a homebirth, but it was bearable b/c we made the extra trek to go to Easton, and it was TONS better than PRMC. If I had to recommend a hopsital for a birth it would be there for sure. There was no physical reason found why he wouldn't turn, but when we took him to the chiropractor for a cranial sacral treatment, his sacrum and t4 joints were all out of whack so that may have been why he couldn't turn. Anyways, he is growing like a week, 16 lbs now at 10 weeks, and sleeping through the night already thankfully. I cannot get him to like our hotsling at all, no matter what position, so I am going to drag out my playtex hip hugger and see if that goes any better. researched the maya wrap but I just hate all that extra fabric. Anyways, the hubby is done with FMLA and back to work and I am pretty much back to normal, but it's just a bit crazy with 3 boys under 3 around here! And they have all been fighting bad colds this past 2 weeks so thats been fun, thank heavens for homeopathic, chiropractic, and breastmilk! Although the antibiotics for Jonah are a must so we can avoid pneumonia, "modern" medicine has its place occasionally when needed so he's doing much better thank goodness! Hope all is well with you ladies, hoping to catch a bw mtg or playgroup one of these days!

eternal wife to Jeremy and LDS SAHM to Jonah Ephraim 9/9/05, Julian Asher 2/21/07, Caden Levi 10/31/08. :ch air
Old 01-16-2009, 04:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by womancaredoula View Post
I am trying to reverse the VBAC ban at Easton but am needing to find a woman who was affected in the past, present, or will be affected in the future to take a simple step to help. Please PM me if you can help.

Barbara Stratton
Author of "50 Ways to Protest a VBAC Denial"
sure what do you need?

eternal wife to Jeremy and LDS SAHM to Jonah Ephraim 9/9/05, Julian Asher 2/21/07, Caden Levi 10/31/08. :ch air
Old 01-16-2009, 04:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by praisebetohim View Post
Thanks,
wow ok. so sorry about that :/ we have dr jeffrey scheirer at ocean pines family medicine and he is WONDERFUL, I cannot say enough great things about him. he is a DO and totally fine with all our "alternative" natural stuff, actually encourages it. he and his staff have bent over backwards for us, and it is worth the 45 min drive b/c of how great they are there- and they go above and beyond for my special needs son, which is a huge deal for us.

Old 01-16-2009, 07:39 PM

Rebecca,
I've been thinking about you...Congrats on your little one! I'm sorry you had to have a C-section. I had my daughter at Easton Memorial, too. It's a shame that such a mama/baby friendly hospital is the only one to ban VBACs in the state. :
Maybe we'll finally get to meet in-person. The next bw meeting will be on 2/19. Hopefully I'll see you there!

Hope everyone is surviving the :
Old 01-16-2009, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Rebecca,
I've been thinking about you...Congrats on your little one! I'm sorry you had to have a C-section. I had my daughter at Easton Memorial, too. It's a shame that such a mama/baby friendly hospital is the only one to ban VBACs in the state. :
Maybe we'll finally get to meet in-person. The next bw meeting will be on 2/19. Hopefully I'll see you there!

Hope everyone is surviving the :
I didnt know they were against vbacs... guess I better make sure the next one has no complications then or I won't be able to transfer... I'm surprised- Dr Bowman seemed pretty open minded to me.... I think he figured out pretty quick that my "doula" was really my mw and he didn't make a big deal of it or ban her from the hospital or anything like that. I was so surprised how great they were there- no one even gave me any crap about my not letting them do anything to the baby or keep him in the nursery- actually Dr B even told them ahead of time I didn't want anything done... They even let the kids stay a couple extra hours and let me eat early and go home early. That is so stupid to have a blanket no vbac rule.

I would love to go the next bw mtg, however hubby will be gone on a 3 day trip then so I'd have all 3 babies by myself and it's usually chaos, wouldn't want to scare anyone away with my 3 ring circus, lol!

Old 01-29-2009, 02:51 AM

Bump

Old 02-08-2009, 10:00 PM

Hey, mamas! Just a bump and hello. LOVING the spring-like weather here this weekend--we went to Assateague this morning and played in the sand. It was heavenly just to feel the sun on my face after the :. How is everyone?
Old 02-08-2009, 10:19 PM

I posted this one level up but was told it might be good to post it here to, if not sorry for the double post. Anyone in the DelMarVa area who is interesting in helping with the Medicaid Project please let me know.
Old 02-13-2009, 07:15 PM

Just wanted to let everyone know that the monthly babywearing meeting will be held next Thursday, the 19th at Go Green Baby in Salisbury. 10:00.
Old 02-16-2009, 03:24 AM

hi all! my email alert thing must be turned off because i've missed so many posts!! gotta get back on track here!

we, too, were enjoying the warm weather but that's over now... i recently re-arranged the living room furniture, can we say cabin fever???? just signed up for another year at provident CSA and i was almost believing that springtime was here, darn!

anyway, things are moving along over here, molly is almost 11mos, whew, and logan had his third b-day and first birthday party which he still talks about even though it was in january they're so cute! give em a party and it's like gold! rachel i have GOT to give you your wrap back, as soon as spring arrives lets all get together i still can't make the bw meetings since logan has his art class thing on thursdays... we're all about the ergo still and have been using the bh at times too now that she's big enough to sit in it with her arms out she's seeming to like that. she was under the weather recently and i wore her on my front for a change and it was so nice to snuggle up.

hope everyone is doing well we miss yoU!!!
Old 02-16-2009, 12:44 PM

Coastal Kids Consignment Sales
Spring 2009 event
Now accepting Consignors, Volunteers,New Moms and Advertising Sponsors!
www.coastal-kids.com

Coastal Kids Consignment Sales is a semi-annual consignment event held each year in the spring and fall providing a great opportunity for local families to clean out closets and attics and cash in on their kids high quality, gently used items. Less work than a yard sale and more money in your pocket than traditional consignment stores!

Children often outgrow their clothes, gear and toys faster than parents can afford to replace them. Make money by recycling outgrown items and earn up to 65% of the sales price. You decide the price; tag the item with an easy to use online computerized inventory system and it will be sold for you! You do not have to be present to sell. Volunteer to work the event and increase your profit percentage. Coastal Kids will mail you a check within two weeks of sale close.

Public Sale
Wicomico Youth & Civic Center
Friday April 3, 2009 from 9am – 4pm
(Shop Friday for best selection)
Saturday April 4, 2009 from 9am – 1pm
(Many items ½ price on Saturday)

Private Pre-sale
As a volunteer, advertising sponsor, new mom or consignor of 25 items or more, you will have the opportunity to shop before everyone else for best selection and pricing. Non-transferrable pre-sale pass required for entrance and will be mailed.

Event Pre-sale: Thursday April 2, 2009 from 4 – 7pm
½ price event Pre-sale: Friday April 3, 2009 from 5 – 7pm

Looking for a fresh idea for fundraising? Coastal Kids Consignment can help! Instead of asking friends and families to buy something, ask them to clean out their kids clutter and donate their high quality, gently used children’s items to your organization. Your organization then becomes a consignor at our event and earns 65% of your sales.

New for spring is a Maternity section featuring maternity clothing and accessories such as breast pumps, nursing items and more. A new Teen Boutique for young men and ladies will include clothing & accessories as well as Prom and dance attire! Local baby/children’s boutiques will also feature brand new past season and discontinued items at deep discounts.

This is a cash only event and all sales are final. Admission for adults is just $1 at the door. Children are free and welcome to accompany parents while they shop however due to space constraints strollers are no longer permitted to be brought in so please plan accordingly. Shopping baskets available or bring your own basket to hold items while you shop. To learn more about selling items, shopping the sale, registering as a new parent, fundraisers or becoming an advertising sponsor visit www.coastal-kids.com or call 410-603-3925.
Old 02-20-2009, 06:49 PM

Hi. I am a working mom of two wonderful children ages 10 and 8 months (today). Big boy and baby girl.

We live in Laurel. And, i am a working mom. Looking for potential play dates for my littlest one. She loves other babies!!
Old 02-23-2009, 03:08 PM

Has anyone sold items at that consignment sale? I read the instructions and it seems like a lot of effort. Maybe I'll check it out as a buyer the first time around.

Ryan! I can't believe Molly is almost 1! Yes, maybe we can plan a zoo get-together once the weather warms for good.

Welcome, Consuelo81! There are a few other DE mamas here. If you are interested in babywearing and want to come to Salisbury, we have monthly meetings at the Go Green Baby shop on College Ave. http://groups.yahoo.com/group/DELMARVA_babywearers/ You can get help using a sling, or just hang out and talk with other like-minded mamas. The store also has a similar group for cloth diapering mamas. It's the closest thing we have to a crunchy mom playgroup.
Old 04-15-2009, 02:37 PM

Bumping us up from page 6!

Just letting everyone know that there is a babywearing meeting tomorrow, Thursday 4/16 at Go Green Baby in Salisbury. All are welcome!
Old 05-05-2009, 03:03 AM

Hello all!

I'm a Maryland native, married to a Midwesterner, and living in Costa Rica. We are gearing up to move back to Maryland in the next month or two, and have our sights on Crisfield right now (cheap real estate, and hopes that the town is going get hipper once the recession starts to improve!!)

Who is anywhere in the vicinity?

It will be me, DH, DD (7) and DS (1.5). I work from home, and occasionally on temporary assignments. DH grows and processes coffee here, and will look toward brokering it in the US, and will also work from home.

I grew up in Ocean Pines, and went to high school down there, so it will be a sort of homecoming. I'm just hoping we'll be able to find some friends for ourselves and the children in Crisfield!!
Old 05-05-2009, 03:39 PM

Hi, twilight girl! I grew up in Worcester County, too. Maybe we went to high school together? Early 1990s?

My in-laws keep their boat in Crisfield. It seems like a lot of businesses have left recently. There used to be a cute coffee shop/paint-your-own pottery studio, but it's gone now. And a gourmet food shop closed (actually, I think they relocated to Princess Anne). Although, there was a story in the newspaper recently about a Washington, DC restauranteur who bought two Crisfield restaurants that were up for auction, with plans to redo them, so that's positive. It'd be nice to see the downtown thriving.

Welcome back to the area!
Old 05-05-2009, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Hi, twilight girl! I grew up in Worcester County, too. Maybe we went to high school together? Early 1990s?

My in-laws keep their boat in Crisfield. It seems like a lot of businesses have left recently. There used to be a cute coffee shop/paint-your-own pottery studio, but it's gone now. And a gourmet food shop closed (actually, I think they relocated to Princess Anne). Although, there was a story in the newspaper recently about a Washington, DC restauranteur who bought two Crisfield restaurants that were up for auction, with plans to redo them, so that's positive. It'd be nice to see the downtown thriving.

Welcome back to the area!
Well, I graduated in the late 80s, so I don't think we went to school together. I went to Stephen Decatur. You?

I remember the coffee shop in Crisfield. My parents have one of the new condos there. But, the coffee shop was NEVER open, no wonder she went out of business!! I'd like to get ahold of that building and do a real coffee shop!! We grow our own coffee, and DH would like to pick up the other end of the business up there, and roast and sell coffee locally.

I heard about the guy who was planning to open the restaurants, so there's hope there. We're hoping that the cheap real estate will start to attract some artsy types who might open shops and studios on main street. With the marina, Jane's Island, and the boat tours to Tangiers and Smith Island, hopefully that's enough to bring people in ... now its just needs something the keep them busy for the day looking around and shopping
Old 05-05-2009, 03:55 PM

Yep, Decatur. 1993.

Let us know when you are here and settled! We REALLY need to have a MDC meet-up sometime.
Old 05-06-2009, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Yep, Decatur. 1993.

Let us know when you are here and settled! We REALLY need to have a MDC meet-up sometime.
:

But can we have it on a saturday? **whine**

Charity - BW, BF, Co-Sleeping WOHM to Gracie (1/06) & Zachary (11/07)-WOW! I'm crunchier than I thought!! :

User Tag List