AAMC C-section - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 09-21-2008, 01:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone have any suggestions for a planned c-section at AAMC? I'm currently a client of Special Beginnings and I will need to have a c-section at AAMC in less than two weeks. We'll be meeting with Annapolis OB-GYN this week for a consultation and I wanted to see if anyone has any suggestions, recommendations or experiences they can share? I don't know who the doctor performing the c-section will be so any experiences or info you can share will be greatly appreciated! I'd also like to hear postive experiences about AAMC, I'm not thrilled about having a c-section so hearing positive stories will definitely help my mental state right now.
Thanks!

Wife to DH, Mommy to Amber 10/01/08 and Kyle 01/09/11
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 09-21-2008, 08:00 PM

I'm sorry to hear you are facing an unwanted cesarean. Please let me know if the cause is anything I might be able to help you find more information about.

If you email me over at ICANofBaltimore @ Comcast.net I can email you a sample cesarean birth plan. Its not meant to be used in its entirety but rather as a launching board to help you determine what will be important to you and your partner.

Once you have the surgery, the best recovery tip is to lift as little as possible for as long as possible. No carrying loads of laundry, no bags of groceries, and no carrying the baby in his/her carseat. Get a postpartum doula if you can.

-Barbara Stratton
Baltimore chapter leader
International Cesarean Awareness Network
www.ican-online.org
#3 of 5 Old 09-21-2008, 11:34 PM

I had to switch from a midwife birthing center birth to a scheduled (well by 48 hours or so) c/s at AAMC due to transverse breech.

Here are a few things that helped me...
(1) still have a doula with you. My doula (Brenda Lane) was SO instrumental in smoothing out the hospital process/ relaxing me and my anxieties/ making sure I got what I wanted every step of the way/ making sure my baby stayed with DH and I and helping him latch on while I was still in recovery (not yet in my room).

(2) Ask if you can have a mirror placed to see the baby come out. If the first person you ask says no, keep asking. (this is where the doula comes in handy too). We had a fantastic anesthesieologist (I have no idea now to spell that, sorry!) who set up the mirror in a way that he could tilt it for me to see. That way when they were doing something a little graphic, like cutting me open, he angled it away so I wouldn't freak out. But when they were pulling the baby out, he tilted it so I could see him come out. Then tilted it away again so I wouldn't see my guts getting sewn up!

(3) If your baby is healthy, there is no reason why he can't be with you or your partner the whole time. No need for warming trays or any separation. Skin to skin contact. You don't have to say yes to them taking baby away for anything else you don't want either like bath, etc. And yes, they will naysay you having baby sleep with you in the hospital bed, but you can do it anyhow. It's YOUR BABY!

(4) I'm not going to lie to you, recovery sucks. It varies from person to person of course. But know that you have choices. I chose NOT TO take anything stronger than high dose ibuproferin for my pain management. I was not comfortable with taking the stronger meds they offer and hand out, especially breastfeeding. Just know that you have a choice and should listen to your body.

(5) Don't beat yourself about not having the birth you envisioned. A healthy baby is all that matters and how you nurture him once he is born is what truly counts.

If you want you can read our "birth story" here
Just scroll to the bottom, very last one.

Best of luck to you!

Mama to Zach 6-18-04 & Naia 10-13-10 Partner to the sweetest DH. Loving our life afloat. TV Free!
#4 of 5 Old 09-22-2008, 03:23 PM

I just wanted to say I had my children via c-section at AAMC and was very pleased. I attempted a VBAC almost 2 years ago but was unsuccessful, because of my own insecurities. All in all I had a wonderful experience and hope to try for a VBA2C some time in the future. I'm also a client of Annapolis OBGYN so if you have any questions don't hesitate to ask.

S
#5 of 5 Old 09-23-2008, 03:18 PM

I think AAMC is the hospital to go to if you have to have medical intervention. I assume you have checked out all other avenues and decided this one is best. but if not, I really recommend talking to Barbara (womancaredoula) b/c she is so full of help and isnt about to push any agenda on you. just give good advise and ideas.

anyhow that said I think AAMC i pretty good about listening to moms as a whole. of course there are individuals who may not be, but that is true with any hospital. I would hire a doula (and not just b/c I am a doula. but b/c I've had a c/s and i realize how much I culd have used one!!) recovery is hard. for some more than others, make sure you have people lined up to take care of you. make sure your expectations are realistic - don't plan going out and about and expect to not be a little (or a lot sore). take it easy b/c it is major surgery. if you can find a doula that does post patrum work too, this can be so very helpful!! I can't stress the doula part enough!

in the end, I think it *does* matter how you baby got here, and if you know it was nessecary to have a c/s then it will all unfold well. it's the forced c/s or the ones you know you didn't really need that leave deep emotional scars. you can still bond very easily with your baby, still breastfeed, still have a great relationship with your baby, I promise! you'll just need a litte extra help and TLC.

transtichel.gifMom of three - (2.5 yrs, 7yrs, and 11yrs). Birthing Doula, editor, and wife to my soulmate. I've had a c/s, hospital VBAC, UC and not yet decided what I'll do about this next little one

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page