Need some info about traveling through DC - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-23-2008, 12:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi,

We are going to be travelling through Baltimore and DC on our way to Williamsburg VA next Sunday. I have a 16 month old and I am worried about finding places to take a break and getting stuck in traffic. I basically would like a stress free trip if that is at all possible
Anyway, what is traffic like on the weekends around DC, specifically Sundays? Is there any weekend construction? Are there some nice areas to stop right off the highway for a break? Just south of DC would be preferable. I am nervous because the last time I went through DC I was stuck in traffic for a LONG time. I can't imagine sitting there with the baby
Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2008, 11:14 PM

What route are you taking, specifically? In general traffic isn't bad on weekends, but there's always the possibility of an accident . . .
Old 09-24-2008, 06:56 PM

IME the interstates are pretty easy-going on the weekends, but some surface streets can be slower-going. By late afternoon/early evening Sunday the traffic flowing back into the city and surrounding areas starts to thicken.

Like PP said, what route are you taking?

There are parks all over the place. We live just north of Bethesda, so Montgomery Co, and there are parks in every direction -- small, medium and large.

The regional parks are really awesome -- there's one in Wheaton that all my children love. There's another one probably too far northwest of what you're talking, Cabin John, that is my favorite.

But there are neighborhood parks everywhere and that could be a good opportunity for your child to get out the 'wiggles.' My youngest is 21 months...so I definately understand that need.

Maryhippie.gif

Old 09-26-2008, 12:51 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks! The route we are taking is 95 to 495 around the beltway back onto 95. That's what all the map sites say at least
Old 09-26-2008, 01:34 PM

Okay. I'd suggest that you take the outer loop of the beltway (495 going roughly west, counter-clockwise around the city) rather than following 95/495 inner loop which goes roughly east and clockwise. It might be a few more driving miles, but you'd avoid the Woodrow Wilson Bridge (which is a potential bottleneck) and it would take you closer to the parks that Mary3mama talked about -- esp. Cabin John, I think.

Maybe some VA moms will chime in with specific suggestions as to where to stop south of DC; I don't know much about what's right off of 95 south of the city. My impression is not much, but I'm sure that's just because I've never lived out there.

The only other potential bottleneck I can think of is at the junction between 95, 395 and 495 (affectionately called "the mixing bowl") that's south of the city. There really isn't any way for you to avoid that, though. I took a quick look at traffic advisories, didn't look like any construction was planned for this weekend, but you'd want to take a closer look:
http://www.virginiadot.org/travel/tr...ia/default.asp

Have a great trip!
Old 09-27-2008, 01:39 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks Barbamama, that is a great site! I looked through it and I don't see any construction for when we are traveling.

User Tag List