Baltimore Doula Recommendations? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-23-2008, 04:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi, we are planning a HBAC with Evelyn Muhlhan and Casey Noss....baby is due soon (end of oct/beginning nov) so I know I'm a little late but I'm looking for recommendations for doula who would attend a birth in Baltimore City (we are in the north west of the city).

Please feel free to PM me if you would rather go that route. I would really appreciate any feedback or info

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2008, 07:31 PM

I dont have any info, but I'll be watching this thread. We're birthing at Bay Area, but we live in North East Baltimore, and I'd love to find a doula to come meet us here before we head to the birth center.

Wife to a wonderful DH, Mom to 3 amazing girls and one special boy, IBCLC, supporter of moms. 
Old 09-23-2008, 09:56 PM

I just had my homevisit with Evelyn and Casey today! Im due Oct. 3rd so it could be anyday now really.
My doulas name is Alana Rose and she is SO wonderful, she was also my hypnobirthing instructor and did a private class for me in my home! I believe she services MD. D.C. and N. Va. areas....I am in Silver Spring, Md. and she was more than willing to work with me (she lives in Arlington I think)
Anyways....here is her website if you would like to get more info and ask her yourself!
www.mindbodybirths.com

Good luck
Liz
Old 09-23-2008, 11:41 PM

I am also looking for a doula, to help me birth at Bethesda Naval Hospital in May. I hope there are more suggestions to come!

We create our own reality.
Old 09-24-2008, 01:17 AM

FYI the Baltimore chapter of ICAN is selling a Baltimore area doula directory as a fundraiser. The directories cost $10 if purchased at an ICAN meeting (second Saturday of every month from Sept. thru May) or $15 by mail. The directories include area doulas (many of whom offer other services as well such as childbirth education),area midwives, birthing centers, and other resources.

Also, its not 100% set in stone but I'm pretty sure that at our Nov. meeting we will have a repeat of last year's "Meet the Doulas" which drew moms and doulas from both Baltimore and DC. We may several successful doula matches that day - it was great way for women to meet many doulas at once.

-Barbara Stratton
ICAN of Baltimore chapter leader
ICANofBaltimore @ Comcast.net
Old 09-24-2008, 09:42 AM

If I were not doing an HBAC I would be delivering at Bethesda and Alana said she would be more than happy to work with moms there! You should contact her, she really is wonderful and her rates is much more affordable than some of the other doulas I looked into when I was searching...here is her website once more!
www.mindbodybirths.com

Liz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolansmum View Post
I am also looking for a doula, to help me birth at Bethesda Naval Hospital in May. I hope there are more suggestions to come!
Old 09-24-2008, 11:50 AM

I'm PM'ing you
Old 09-24-2008, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlizgar View Post
If I were not doing an HBAC I would be delivering at Bethesda and Alana said she would be more than happy to work with moms there! You should contact her, she really is wonderful and her rates is much more affordable than some of the other doulas I looked into when I was searching...here is her website once more!
www.mindbodybirths.com

Liz
I did HypnoBirthing last time and I don't think it was the right method for me. I think this time I want to try Bradley. Would it be better to find someone more suited to that?

Good luck with your birth!

Old 09-27-2008, 06:29 PM

Quote:
I did HypnoBirthing last time and I don't think it was the right method for me. I think this time I want to try Bradley. Would it be better to find someone more suited to that?

I teach Bradley and can help you with doula referrals if you need. PM me.

Lorrie
Old 09-27-2008, 07:11 PM

Im sorry the hypnobirthing didnt work out better for you, ill know soon how well it works for me!
Alana has had other clients that used bradley and other methods besides hypnobirthing, she just specializes in that method.
Good luck with your search and with your birth!

Quote:

Old 09-29-2008, 11:07 PM

Hello!

I'm working on my doula certification through DONA International. I hope to be certified by Jan. and am taking clients for that time. In addition to doula training, I have a BA in Psychology and 3+ years of work experience in mental health. I've also had childbirth educator training.

Feel free to contact me!

:

Jenni
Old 10-02-2008, 06:23 PM

I recommend my Doula - Jessica Groves - http://www.trustingourbodies.com/
Old 10-03-2008, 05:40 PM

Thanks, Meg!

I PM'd you about doula services! I have a 100% VBAC rate for my doula clients and love HBACing with Evelyn. She's great!!!!!
Old 10-04-2008, 07:01 PM

I am so glad to have a lot of responses! I will have many doulas to choose from! I'm only 11 weeks, when is a good time to start looking for a doula?

Old 10-05-2008, 04:15 PM

Oh, OK. You have time.

It's always good to interview the various doulas you believe are a match for you.

Also, if you take a good childbirth class out of hospital like Bradley, many CBEs also offer doula services to their couples for an extra fee or at a minimum have a list of recommended doulas to assist you if they cannot. Your childbirth educator may be your best community resource for all your needs!

Hope this helps!

In birth,

User Tag List