Searching for a few last minute homebirth supplies - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
#1 of 21 Old 09-24-2008, 08:49 AM - Thread Starter
 
jlizgar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 96
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi ladies!
I am hoping some of you here may have a few of these items that I could borrow for my upcoming homebirth, im due on Oct. 3rd but baby could come any time really so the sooner I get ahold of these things the better!

1. A tarp to lay under my birth pool
2. a pump that will drain out the water from the birth pool after the birth
3. Some old recieving blankets that you no longer need or want, all of mine are nicer and I need some older ones for cleaning up baby and such.

If anyone can help me out with these things it would be OH SO appreciated. I had no idea how expensive my homebirth would get with all the supplies I needed and we are on an extreemly tight budget!

Liz
jlizgar is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#2 of 21 Old 09-24-2008, 03:37 PM - Thread Starter
 
jlizgar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 96
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just wanted to mention im located in Silver Spring so hopefully someone in my general area will have some of these things and help me out!
jlizgar is offline  
#3 of 21 Old 09-24-2008, 03:45 PM
 
imnottelling's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 641
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If yo ucan't find receiving blankets, sometimes you can get at the dollar store.
I got a package of 4 for a dollar from Lot Stores in Baltimore.
imnottelling is offline  
#4 of 21 Old 09-24-2008, 05:37 PM
 
phathui5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Oregon
Posts: 17,013
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Have you tried freecycle?

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
14yo ds   11yo dd  9yo ds and 7yo ds and 2yo ds  
phathui5 is offline  
#5 of 21 Old 09-24-2008, 06:34 PM - Thread Starter
 
jlizgar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 96
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I posted on freecycle earlier today, no responses yet but maybe soon!




Quote:
Originally Posted by phathui5 View Post
Have you tried freecycle?
jlizgar is offline  
#6 of 21 Old 09-24-2008, 06:48 PM
 
UltimateSerj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Hagerstown, MD
Posts: 1,515
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i have the python hose and pump thingy that was only used to fill and drain a clean pool since my last baby came to fast to have it filled! its the longest one they have, i paid a lot for it, so i need to sell it not give it away... maybe half the price? pm me if your intrested.

Susan, Mom to 4- Elizabeth 12, Hailey 9, Sammy 7, Caroline 3
UltimateSerj is offline  
#7 of 21 Old 09-26-2008, 08:49 PM - Thread Starter
 
jlizgar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 96
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thank you so much for your offer UltimateSerj, but I am just simply too broke at the time to purchase any more supplies for this birth I really had no idea at the time when I decided to do this home water birth that it would get quite so expensive, just little things here and there are adding up and now im afraid that I wont be able to have the water birth that ive been wanting because I cant afford to get the dang pump to drain the pool.
Is there another way to empty it????

Again, I would be forever grateful to anyone who can help me out, but its gotta be soon or baby Joe will have already arrived

Liz






Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateSerj View Post
i have the python hose and pump thingy that was only used to fill and drain a clean pool since my last baby came to fast to have it filled! its the longest one they have, i paid a lot for it, so i need to sell it not give it away... maybe half the price? pm me if your intrested.
jlizgar is offline  
#8 of 21 Old 09-26-2008, 08:52 PM - Thread Starter
 
jlizgar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 96
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
OH.....and I am planning to return these items, im not asking anyone to give me a hugely expensive pump, that would be ridiculous of me! I would take excellent care of it and return it as soon as I am able to be up and about again!

Liz
jlizgar is offline  
#9 of 21 Old 09-27-2008, 09:59 AM - Thread Starter
 
jlizgar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 96
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks! My downstairs neighbor actually had some old ones she no longer wanted so I got them from her, bless her heart! I think im just going to go to home depot and get a big plastic drop cloth, I hear they are around 5 bucks so thats not too bad, its just the pump that seems to be the pricey item that im having trouble with.

I do have to say im super blessed because another member here lent me her La Bassine birth pool out of the kindness of her heart and I will FOREVER be grateful for that!!!!!!!!!! That was one less thing to worry about having to buy...and it will be well taken care of!

Liz




Quote:
Originally Posted by imnottelling View Post
If yo ucan't find receiving blankets, sometimes you can get at the dollar store.
I got a package of 4 for a dollar from Lot Stores in Baltimore.
jlizgar is offline  
#10 of 21 Old 09-27-2008, 03:34 PM
 
UltimateSerj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Hagerstown, MD
Posts: 1,515
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
look around on the homebirth section here, i swear i remember reading that you can get all the peices to make the pump at a hardware store for really cheap and just use a hose with it! good luck!! sorry i couldn't help.

Susan, Mom to 4- Elizabeth 12, Hailey 9, Sammy 7, Caroline 3
UltimateSerj is offline  
#11 of 21 Old 09-27-2008, 03:36 PM
 
UltimateSerj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Hagerstown, MD
Posts: 1,515
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
here http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=589333 second post, it should cost you about $7 plus you will need a hose

Susan, Mom to 4- Elizabeth 12, Hailey 9, Sammy 7, Caroline 3
UltimateSerj is offline  
#12 of 21 Old 09-27-2008, 04:12 PM - Thread Starter
 
jlizgar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 96
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
OMG, Thank you SOOOO much! You are a doll, I owe you for pointing me to this info!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!




Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateSerj View Post
here http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=589333 second post, it should cost you about $7 plus you will need a hose
jlizgar is offline  
#13 of 21 Old 09-28-2008, 10:52 AM
 
Awaken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 4,534
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Best wishes on your upcoming birth! I have several fleece blankets that I've been saving to give away, if you want them. However, maybe you'd prefer cotton ones.
Awaken is offline  
#14 of 21 Old 09-28-2008, 11:09 AM
 
Lisa85's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 982
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was going to suggest the aquarium pump as well. They're about $10 or so but the attached hose is extremely short. So what we did when we had fish tanks was go to the hardware store and buy tubing the same diameter (I think about 1/2", but they're small enough you can just bring it with you to check to make sure it'll work). The factory tube should pop right off when you pull on it, and then you can put the longer tube on it that will reach to your sink, backyard, whatever. I don't recall how much the tubing was at the hardware store, but it was super cheap - .30/foot or a yard?

You also don't NEED the attachment to the sink. We just put duct tape around the siphon and then around the faucet so the siphon hung from the faucet and when the water was turned on it would pour right into the siphon. Or you could just hold it but that's a huge PITB.
Lisa85 is offline  
#15 of 21 Old 10-03-2008, 06:17 PM - Thread Starter
 
jlizgar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 96
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Grrrrr, im SO mad! I just went yesterday to 2 local pet stores trying to get the python drain and fill and some hose...the first store was completly sold out and had no idea when they would get anymore back in and the 2nd store, OMG, the guy there was SUCH a jerk to me!!!!! I knew all that I needed was the green and black piece for the sink and a long enough hose but he trys to sell me this almost 50 dollar python kit that had all these extra parts, he tried telling me that I could NOT just buy the green and black piece and the hose because the hose wouldnt stay on without some other piece....well, he got me all confused, then pissed and my 2 year old was running a mouck around the store so I just left....with nothing
SO, I still dont have a pump to drain my pool with and im due today, no labor action yet but im hoping soon....****sigh**** maybe ill go back to that first pet store this weekend and see if they have them in.
Wish me luck ladies, im getting down to the wire here!

Liz
jlizgar is offline  
#16 of 21 Old 10-03-2008, 06:20 PM - Thread Starter
 
jlizgar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 96
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
SO, just a standard el cheapo fish tank pump and then you got the longer tube at a hardware store???

and im trying to visualize what you mean by duct taping the syphon to the sink, did you use the python syhphon?





Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa85 View Post
I was going to suggest the aquarium pump as well. They're about $10 or so but the attached hose is extremely short. So what we did when we had fish tanks was go to the hardware store and buy tubing the same diameter (I think about 1/2", but they're small enough you can just bring it with you to check to make sure it'll work). The factory tube should pop right off when you pull on it, and then you can put the longer tube on it that will reach to your sink, backyard, whatever. I don't recall how much the tubing was at the hardware store, but it was super cheap - .30/foot or a yard?

You also don't NEED the attachment to the sink. We just put duct tape around the siphon and then around the faucet so the siphon hung from the faucet and when the water was turned on it would pour right into the siphon. Or you could just hold it but that's a huge PITB.
jlizgar is offline  
#17 of 21 Old 10-03-2008, 06:21 PM
 
texanatheart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: North Texas
Posts: 974
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlizgar View Post
Grrrrr, im SO mad! I just went yesterday to 2 local pet stores trying to get the python drain and fill and some hose...the first store was completly sold out and had no idea when they would get anymore back in and the 2nd store, OMG, the guy there was SUCH a jerk to me!!!!! I knew all that I needed was the green and black piece for the sink and a long enough hose but he trys to sell me this almost 50 dollar python kit that had all these extra parts, he tried telling me that I could NOT just buy the green and black piece and the hose because the hose wouldnt stay on without some other piece....well, he got me all confused, then pissed and my 2 year old was running a mouck around the store so I just left....with nothing
SO, I still dont have a pump to drain my pool with and im due today, no labor action yet but im hoping soon....****sigh**** maybe ill go back to that first pet store this weekend and see if they have them in.
Wish me luck ladies, im getting down to the wire here!

Liz
What a bummer! Good luck at store #1. I just wanted to say...though it's not the same, you've always got your bathtub!

Marilyn, wife to DH 09/02 and mama to my boys, DS1 11/06 and DS2 02/09, and a new one on the way in 06/12!

****5****10****bellycast.gif****20****25****30****35****40**

texanatheart is offline  
#18 of 21 Old 10-03-2008, 06:56 PM - Thread Starter
 
jlizgar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 96
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Man, I wish we were still in our old apartment cause I would TOTALLY have used our bathtub, it was huge but the one we have now is so tiny, I can hardly lay in it for a bath

Thanks for the luck, im hoping store #1 has them back in stock! I refuse to go back to the other store as rude as that guy was to me, I wish my husband was home to go tell him off!




Quote:
Originally Posted by texanatheart View Post
What a bummer! Good luck at store #1. I just wanted to say...though it's not the same, you've always got your bathtub!
jlizgar is offline  
#19 of 21 Old 10-04-2008, 06:02 PM
 
Awaken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 4,534
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
sorry for the annoying experience I know it's not what you need as you approach the birth! I hope everything works out just as it's meant to and your baby arrives safely and peacefully!
Awaken is offline  
#20 of 21 Old 10-04-2008, 07:08 PM - Thread Starter
 
jlizgar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 96
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thank you so much! Ive actually had TWO gracious ladies in another local forum im in offer to lend me there pumps! I just have to go pick one up! Thank GOD, I was getting worried, as a simple spyphon would not have worked for us as im in an apartment and cant drain the water outside anywhere.

Thanks again everyone, I think ive finally got it ALL situated!

Liz



Quote:
Originally Posted by Awaken View Post
sorry for the annoying experience I know it's not what you need as you approach the birth! I hope everything works out just as it's meant to and your baby arrives safely and peacefully!
jlizgar is offline  
#21 of 21 Old 10-05-2008, 09:10 AM
 
koofie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 2,409
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlizgar View Post
Thanks again everyone, I think ive finally got it ALL situated!

Liz
Yeahhhhh! I was hoping to hear you were able to get what you needed. :
koofie is offline  
Reply

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off