Breastfeeding Help needed in Silver Spring NOW - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 09-27-2008, 12:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My best friend is living in Silver Spring. She had a C-section this past Tuesday and is now having MAJOR breastfeeding problems. Baby is dehydrated and refusing breast. She's had to supplement.

She's very very upset and needs help today and doesn't know who is available on a saturday. Please post any resources... good lactation consultants or LLL leaders in the area.

She's been apprehensive to talk to LLL because she has the perception that they are militant and I think she's afraid of being judged.

PLEASE HELP!
#2 of 9 Old 09-27-2008, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandasz View Post
She's been apprehensive to talk to LLL because she has the perception that they are militant and I think she's afraid of being judged.
Oh, dear! I was going to suggest LLL since there is always someone available, and I know there are active groups in that area. If she'd rather call an IBCLC (may be best if baby is in medical distress, anyway) I can recommend Margaret Wills, who lives in SS and who is completely warm and welcoming:

Margaret Wills IBCLC,RLC
15340 Beaufort Pl.
Silver Spring MD 20905
Phone: (301)384-8649
Email: mswills2@comcast.net

Another IBCLC near your friend I can strongly recommend is:
Lynnette Hafken MA, LLLL, IBCLC
20701 Spinning Wheel Place
Germantown MD 20874
Phone: (240)888-2123
Email: lhafken@verizon.net

Hope that helps -- encourage her to call TODAY! Hope she and baby get some r&r and time to enjoy each other --

Monique

IBCLC, LLLL, Mom to 3, obsessive baker, where's my coffee
#3 of 9 Old 09-27-2008, 05:26 PM

I was scared off LLL by a cousin and a month after birth turned to them in desparation. And would have failed to nurse my twins if not for two wonderful leaders. Tell her they are NOT militant and only want to help her succeed. Call one now. Or PM me and have her call me. I am not certified, but have been doing childbirth ed for 9 years and have helped MANY mamas with initiating breastfeeding, even doing counseling for a cousin in New Jersey who had cesarean related issues over the phone regularly for a couple weeks until she was finally successful and able to stop supplementing.
#4 of 9 Old 09-28-2008, 10:35 AM

Hi there, she can call me, I am near SS. Haven't yet met a LLL leader who was militant- we're all just moms like anyone else who want to support other moms in caring for their babies.

I also recommend the wonderful women listed above.

I'll PM you.
#5 of 9 Old 10-02-2008, 09:31 AM

I was having a lot of problems at first, too. I recommend contacting the Breastfeeding Center for Greater Washington.

They sent a wonderful lactation consultant to my apartment the next day, and she was so helpful and supportive. She consulted on the phone with me the night before her visit and she called me twice over the next couple days to follow up. It cost $150, but it was worth every penny, since things immediately improved and I could actually enjoy nursing my baby!
#6 of 9 Old 10-02-2008, 11:08 AM

I would also definitely recommend talking to Pat Shelly at the Breast Feeding Center. I had a lot of advice from the lactation consultant at the hospital, a LLL leader and my midwives, but none of them gave advice that was "real," in my opinion. Pat was wonderful and non-judgmental and really helped my process. I went to the Tuesday morning groups and eventually a weaning class. I also can say my NP at my pediatricians was the other positive force. I really feel for her. I was the same way. First thrown for a loop by cesarean then unable to nurse. Very frustrating. I would never have nursed for 2+ years without Pat.
#7 of 9 Old 10-07-2008, 01:06 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for your help! My friend has been in touch with Margaret Wills and is on a plan to get her milk supply up. She's supplementing with the hopes of easing that down once the supply is built up. Baby is gaining and my friend is sounding much calmer and more positive.

You guys have all been fantastic. Thanks!!
#8 of 9 Old 10-07-2008, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandasz View Post
Thanks everyone for your help! My friend has been in touch with Margaret Wills and is on a plan to get her milk supply up.
Great news! Thanks for the update.

IBCLC, LLLL, Mom to 3, obsessive baker, where's my coffee
#9 of 9 Old 10-08-2008, 11:08 AM

That is wonderful. It is always great to hear an update, and that mom and baby are doing well and able to continue with nursing!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page