Jury Duty while breastfeeding - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 09-29-2008, 12:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello to all

I was wondering if anyone has had experience with being called for jury duty while breastfeeding?
I just received a summons for jury duty and I am exclusively nursing my 2 month old, has anybody been able to be exempted for breastfeeding ?
#2 of 7 Old 09-29-2008, 02:28 AM

you can be exempted by proving you are the sole "daycare" provider for your child. should be on the back of the form they sent you.

transtichel.gifMom of three - (2.5 yrs, 7yrs, and 11yrs). Birthing Doula, editor, and wife to my soulmate. I've had a c/s, hospital VBAC, UC and not yet decided what I'll do about this next little one

#3 of 7 Old 09-29-2008, 08:18 AM

I live in PG county. I wrote a letter explaining that I was still breastfeeding my son. I believe he was almost 1yr old at the time, but i referred to him as an infant. I listed a bunch of reasons why it would be stressful on him and myself to be apart for several hours, including the need to pump and the distress he would experience beause he did not use bottles.
I don't know if that was necessary or not, but they did call me and let me know that I would be excused if I could get a letter from a health care provider stating that I was nursing my child and how long I planned on nursing the baby so that they would know when to put my name in the pool again.
I believe I told them 2 yrs. and my son's bday is coming up, so I guess I will be back in the pool soon!
hth. erika
#4 of 7 Old 09-29-2008, 08:59 AM

I was called for DC court and I was able to get a six months deferment and I was nursing a toddler. I had to haggle with the woman on the phone a little. Another mom friend of mine was able to get a deferment for 2 years when she had a newborn.
#5 of 7 Old 09-29-2008, 02:46 PM

In maryland I was able to prove I was sole careprovider for my son ( SAHM) they asked if any grandparents or friends were available and none were I also tossed in that I would need to pump every 2 hrs or I'd leak They excused me LOL.

Jeana Christian momma to 4 sons Logan 18, Connor 15, Nathan 6, and bonus baby Jack 1
#6 of 7 Old 10-01-2008, 01:03 PM

I think this depends on what county you are in. I imagine you won't have a problem, but the sole caregiver excuse doesn't apply everywhere (it doesn't in Baltimore City). I was excused from jury duty for breastfeeding in Baltimore City though, I just made a phone call and then sent in the form. It was no big deal.
#7 of 7 Old 10-01-2008, 02:46 PM

I love the idea of excusing a mama because she might leak! Gotta remember to use that one.

I wonder what I'd do if called? As the sole careprovider for 3 homeschooled children...with no family in the area...nursing the youngest (until she decides to wean)...

I guess I'd just have to cheerfully accept it as a learning experience for my children...all 3 of them...to come along and try to sit and observe.

Yeah, I know that they'd never go for that. Guess I could be the resident lunatic who sits in the waiting room chanting: fry them all!

I honestly don't know what I'd do.

Maryhippie.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page