Need help -- where to live in metro DC area???? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 09-30-2008, 11:34 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello,

My family and I live in the Chicago area, but my husband may be getting transferred to Washington very soon. He will be working in the district so we really need help on where to live.

Is there any place in the greater area that
1) is not that far from the district for commuting to work,
2) that is super duper safe (we have kids),
3) and not terribly expensive (where you can get a home under 500K)?

Please tell me there is such a place or places! Many moons ago I lived in Arlington VA for a summer intership and I loved it, but I didn't see any houses there we could afford now.... Please advise! Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 10-03-2008, 05:41 PM

I love Alexandria and Arlington, but anywhere in Northern Virginia that's in a reasonable commuting distance is very expensive. And their traffic is insane. Maryland can be cheaper though not much. Check out Bowie (Prince George's County), Crofton (Anne Arundel County) or Columbia (Howard County). The prices will be going up in these areas quickly though as we get closer to 2010 because of the base realignment.

{Partner to DH  and Former WOHM, now SAHM  to DD, DD , and DS } *** ***
#3 of 6 Old 10-03-2008, 05:50 PM

Are schools an issue?

If you homeschool, I'd definately research laws relating to hsing in each state/district. In MD (where we live) we signed up with an umbrella group and they take care of the rest.

DC lawmakers just created a law almost identical to MD's, but it will be awhile (one would assume anyway) before the umbrella school list is populated...so you might have to endure school-system oversight.

I haven't looked at VA's laws.

We are currently in No. Bethesda, having moved here about 3 months ago almost sight-unseen (dh had, I hadn't). Now that we know where dh's office will be (was up in the air) we will stay in MD for the foreseeable future. But we are looking to move up near Rockville or Gaithersburg. The Shady Grove station is the end of the redline of the metro...and that would be our target area, since dh can metro to his office near the grosvernor-strathmore station.

Home prices, and especially property taxes, are extraordinary everywhere in the metro area, though.

Montgomery Co. MD seems to have a most excellent network of parks. We have been devoted to exploring as many of them as possible before winter. And we love being pretty close to the district...just a quick metro ride on the weekends and we are 'resident tourists' with glee.

Welcome to the area!!

Maryhippie.gif

#4 of 6 Old 10-03-2008, 06:08 PM

Can you give us an idea of where your husband's workplace is in DC? It might make a difference in what we recommend to you--especially if ease of commute is a factor!
#5 of 6 Old 10-05-2008, 10:33 AM

I just moved to Sterling in the Countryside neighborhood and it is super duper kid/family friendly. There are also lots of trails and sidewalks and playgrounds. There is also no traffic out here. If you are commuting into the city it will most likely be a taxing commute, but to us it's worth it. Right now, there are houses in my neighborhood that are selling for 175K. I was shocked too. They are usually 3 bedroom townhomes, but we have a 3 bedroom townhome and it's plenty of room for our family of 4 + 2 pets.
#6 of 6 Old 10-05-2008, 01:35 PM

Hyattsville, Laurel, Maryland City, Odenton, Jessup are all within commuting distance (thought getting farther out) and have cheaper homes...elementary schools in Laurel are good, but high schools are not...

Prince George's County (PG) has good parks, but not as nice as Montgomery County or Howard County!

What type of community amenities are you looking for?

I am astoundingly lucky! Mother to my beloved child since 01/06/07. Fighting cancer since 09/06/07.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page