Homebirth in MD - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 28 Old 10-13-2008, 06:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello,

We just move to the DC metro area and I'm 8 weeks pregnant. I'm looking for midwifes that will attend homebirth in Rockville area.

Any information will be appreciated.

Marta
#2 of 28 Old 10-13-2008, 09:37 PM

Birthcare and Woman's Health in Alexandria, VA. I went with them for my second pregnancy and they are wonderful.

#3 of 28 Old 10-14-2008, 05:24 AM

Evelyn Muhlhan, CNM of Alternative Birth Choices
www.altbirthchoices.com
#4 of 28 Old 10-14-2008, 09:20 PM
bax

I can second both of these. I birthed with BirthCare with my first when we lived in the District and am now planning my second home birth with Evelyn Muhlhan now that we've moved to Brunswick. (Would have happily stayed w/ BirthCare, but they don't come out this far; but am so happy to have found Evelyn!)

SAHM to Ada 8/15/2006, Calla 11/22/2008, and Wright 6/16/2011

#5 of 28 Old 10-16-2008, 12:18 AM

I did not have a good experience using Evelyn with my last baby and will PM you with more.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#6 of 28 Old 10-16-2008, 09:32 AM

I'm also using Evelyn Muhlhan (Alternative Birth Choices) and really like her!!
#7 of 28 Old 10-16-2008, 06:26 PM

two good experiences with Evelyn here!
#8 of 28 Old 10-17-2008, 07:06 PM

I think several of the NoVA midwives also will do births in MD:

http://www.novahomebirth.org/providers/
#9 of 28 Old 10-19-2008, 06:21 PM

If you want to use Birth Care, contact them ASAP as they book up fast!!

Also, Joey Pasceralla is in So MD. Check out the link of NoVA midwives.

And there's another CPM in MD that would come to you for sure. I'll PM you with contact info.

So many choices for you!
#10 of 28 Old 10-24-2008, 12:24 AM

Does anyone have info on home birth in harford county? looking into it as an option.

Thanks!

Mama to Jocelyn 3/04-5/04, Lucy 3/05, Nate 1/07, Tessa 5/09 , due 12/2011!!!

#11 of 28 Old 10-29-2008, 11:45 PM

Evelyn is amazing, she attended both of my births and is a wonderful source of support to me still. She attends births in all surrounding counties!

homebirthing organic mama to three crazy boys very blessed!!
#12 of 28 Old 11-14-2008, 01:42 PM

Yes, KC and Evelyn both cover Harford as well as KW. I'll PM you their info.
#13 of 28 Old 11-14-2008, 05:42 PM

New here...so no recommendations.

I just wanted to post a congratulations and best wishes for your pregnancy.

My last baby (2 next month) was my only homebirth and I would do it again in a heartbeat (pun intended!) without any hesitation.

I get all soft and squishy just thinking about it. My 2 hospital births (c/s and VBAC) gave me my very much loved sons...but the birth itself for my daughter was awesome because it was in my home and where and with whom I wanted to be...

Maryhippie.gif

#14 of 28 Old 03-30-2009, 10:42 PM

I'm doing a home birth as well and am in the process of interviewing CNMs in southern Maryland. I'd love recommendations as well! Pretty please.. feel free to email me at shannon_disney@yahoo.com

I interviewed MamasMidwives with Mairi Rothham and Erin (both CNMs) and really liked them. We are all set to go with them, but hubbie wants to cover our bases and interview a couple more people. If anyone has had any experiences with them I'd love to hear about it.

And here's their website if you are interested:
http://www.mamasmidwives.com/M.A.M.A.S._Inc./Home.html
#15 of 28 Old 03-31-2009, 05:00 PM

I don't have personal experience with the MamaMWs but Mairi came very highly recommended from another MW that I love and trust completely. But I say trust your gut! If you really like them go for it. And if at anytime you don't feel 100% confident in them then switch, seriously!
#16 of 28 Old 04-06-2009, 01:17 PM

we should talk more if/when we meet, but ... we just hired susan dodge (she can be found on this list: http://www.birthoptionsalliance.org/...2009-03-19.pdf). she used to work with BirthCare and now has her own practice. I have my first prenatal appointment with her tomorrow, so we're just getting started, but we loved her at the interview, and the reference she provided us gave us an absolutely glowing review (as you would expect with a reference, but still, it was glowing!). we interviewed mairi and erin as well as one other midwife, and liked them too, but susan just seemed more our style. i think if you have the time, it's useful to interview more than one just to see what the differences are, and to confirm your choice.
#17 of 28 Old 04-06-2009, 02:26 PM

I think Evelyn is wonderful. Mairi, Erin and Susan all have very good reputations. I know them only from an advocacy perspective so can't personally speak to their skills at birth. Evelyn I have been with at births.

There are also a number of very good CPMs in the area. I use CPMs personally because even the best CNMs are beholden to the stupid obstetrical model and very restrictive protocols of their backup doctors and facilities. Given that my two homebirths were after 4 and 5 days with rupture of membranes--ANY CNM would have risked me out to the hospital for an induction I did not want. With my CPM we had the flexibility to decide what precautions to take and what risks I was comfortable with. For me the lack of autonomy of CNMs in this area is just not something I am willing to accept.
#18 of 28 Old 04-09-2009, 04:02 PM

I just moved to York PA (About 45 minutes from Baltimore MD) and would love any suggestions on midwifes in the Baltimore, Timonium area. I am willing to drive for a midwife I trust.

Thank you for any information you have.
#19 of 28 Old 04-09-2009, 05:24 PM

i don't have any personal recc's but I hear evelyn is great. Congrats!
#20 of 28 Old 04-09-2009, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homewithtwinsmama View Post

There are also a number of very good CPMs in the area. I use CPMs personally because even the best CNMs are beholden to the stupid obstetrical model and very restrictive protocols of their backup doctors and facilities. Given that my two homebirths were after 4 and 5 days with rupture of membranes--ANY CNM would have risked me out to the hospital for an induction I did not want. With my CPM we had the flexibility to decide what precautions to take and what risks I was comfortable with. For me the lack of autonomy of CNMs in this area is just not something I am willing to accept.
: That is why I liked the CPM I use for birth. My two homebirths was after my water had broken also, 46 hours for my son before labor started and 60 hours for my daughter before labor started. Any other person would have sent me to be induced but the CPM I had was cool w/ it (of course my water was always clear, ect..)

Congrats though. Hope you find someone you can feel a connection too.
#21 of 28 Old 04-13-2009, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homewithtwinsmama View Post
\Given that my two homebirths were after 4 and 5 days with rupture of membranes--ANY CNM would have risked me out to the hospital for an induction I did not want. With my CPM we had the flexibility to decide what precautions to take and what risks I was comfortable with. For me the lack of autonomy of CNMs in this area is just not something I am willing to accept.
As a CNM working on again/ off again at Special Beginnings, I have attended many births of women who were ruptured for days, I think 7 days was the longest it took for labor to start on its own. So that is not true for all CNMs. And it is ALWAYS the client who decides the course of action, never the provider, regardless of the letters that follow his/ her name.

Melissa

Midwife and mama to Arden Phoenix (12/31/06) and Fian Rune (12/5/09)
#22 of 28 Old 04-13-2009, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunaliss View Post
As a CNM working on again/ off again at Special Beginnings, I have attended many births of women who were ruptured for days, I think 7 days was the longest it took for labor to start on its own. So that is not true for all CNMs. And it is ALWAYS the client who decides the course of action, never the provider, regardless of the letters that follow his/ her name.

Melissa
My apologies Melissa, I was responding quickly and didn't detail that SB is the only CNM groups that also has great flexibility on the issue of early rupture of membranes. I know that and teach that in my classes as one of the reasons I really like and refer to SB often. Although I also didn't want antibiotics and used the chlorohexidine wash protocol instead for two births that had early rupture of membranes lasting five and four days prospectively. I don't know that I could have gotten away with that at a birth center.

But I disagree that it is the client who always decides the course of action. I think its fair to say that SB has other backup practice issues with restrictions that women should be aware of. If you get on the backup doctors' radar you could end up like a recent student of mine whose "big baby" ultrasound on a biophysical profile where the couple felt completely coerced (dead and disabled babies were mentioned by the doctor- I hate that!) into an elective cesarean for a baby that turned about to be 1 1/2-2 lbs lighter than the backup doctors insisted it had to be. Of a size I know for a fact has arrived at the birth center on more than one occasion quite successfully. Did the mother feel robbed? Of course. Did she feel she was given a choice? She went in with every intention of saying no and she wanted to stick to her plans, but first she got risked out of the birth center birth she wanted, then had the dead baby card presented over and over. After all the threats had been made and her feeling that the midwives had to back off on their support of her at risk of making the backups angry she felt she was backed into a corner. So its easy to say that we make the calls, but it doesn't happen in a vacuum. I think its unfair to have mamas (especially primips) go into it thinking otherwise.

Another example I was personally involved with was a breech twin multipara who was with SB backup doctors after having her first at SB with the midwives in the birth center and being referred to the doctors by SB with the discovery of the twins. She was beaten down week after week with how she couldn't and shouldn't have a vaginal birth. Calling me in tears, ruined her pregnancy. I encouraged her to move on to Dr. Tchabo at VHC at 8 1/2 months pregnant and she had an awesome vaginal breech baby A and vertex-after-version-between-the-births baby B--with a CPM friend of mine who agreed to doula (I had a very new baby) and keep her home as long as possible and monitor babies and dilation getting her there at a good late labor time. A birth that could not have happened had she stuck with SB backups.

So flexibility of having a solo CPM and the ability to make decision the two of you are comfortable with rather than having an obstetrical model practitioner you don't agree with (as I strongly disagree with the obstetrical model of care) forcing your midwife to recommend things she herself may not agree with because the laws in MD give the OBs too much control over CNMs' rights to practice- for me the benefits of the independent CPM or direct entry midwife make it the right choice for me.

And on these boards I just want women to be aware of ALL their choices whether or not they want to explore them. I absolutely wish that we had legal direct entry midwifery and autonomy of practice for CNM and CPM, but we don't so women have to go in with eyes wide open and the ability to say no or move on if their needs are not being met with ANY type of caregiver.

That said, SB is number one on my list of recommended facilities for those mamas who want midwives, but not home births. In a highly imperfect and coercive system it offers the best OOH options in the area.
#23 of 28 Old 04-20-2009, 12:13 PM

Just wanted to add that I too had a HB with a CNM. My water broke early Friday morning. All day friday and saturday there was no sigh of labor, but there was a lot of support, suggestions (none of which included going in for an induction), and quality care. I was GBS + and was given the option of antibiotics, hibicleanse, other home remedies, or the choice to do nothing at all, which I went for. I did agree the next day to try accupuncture, but that too would have been fine to refuse. After acc on Sunday late afternoon/evening my labor began. It was beautiful and short and I was very happy to be able to call the shots. My CNM gave me information, risks verses benefits, and support, but never pushed me to do anything.

That being said I know this is not always the case, but I think it is important to ask ANY perspective midwife how this and other variations would be handled and not simply leave it up to words on a message board...mine or others.
#24 of 28 Old 04-20-2009, 10:06 PM

CPMs are trained in homebirth and birth center settings.  Their philosophy  is definitely more hands-off but some CNMs are very hands-off in the home setting too.  Obviously, licensure and legal status hold drawbacks for both but most importantly, interview midwives and choose the one that is right for you.

#25 of 28 Old 04-21-2009, 11:57 PM

Hi Jess. I get Lorrie's post and agree with it mostly. My only concern was the statement:
...after 4 and 5 days with rupture of membranes--ANY CNM would have risked me out to the hospital for an induction I did not want.

Just wanted to point out to those who may not know that this is not always the case and that directly asking the midwife you are interviewing/using is very important. In addition to my own experience (which was not a reflection of my education, but a reflection of the quality of care I was receiving) I am familiar with many cases of ROM before labor both at home and at SB in which things were handled in a similar manner as mine. Risk vs. benefit with no pressure. No, this is not always the case, but it is important to let folks know that it sometimes is and communication with your care provider is paramount.
#26 of 28 Old 05-11-2009, 05:38 PM

Since I may be moving to MD This is still up in the air and still waiting on the interview (which may be coming soon

Quote:
I don't like that they could be yelled at for not doing the GBS test or for taking on a VBAC
Are you saying that in MD, a CNM can not perform a VBAC at home without the OB signing off on it? Since I want an HBAC for the next pregnancy, how likely is that?

Thanks!

winner.jpg, cloth diapering, babywearing, AP mama to Aiden (10/04/07) and Rylan (12/20/10)  hbac.gif
#27 of 28 Old 05-11-2009, 07:32 PM

I am not on this site very often but I am happy that I visited today. I find some of the recent posts on this thread upsetting and untrue. I do not agree with some of the generalizations that are being made about CNMs. CNMs can attend HBACs, we can have women with ruptured membranes for days, and no one yells at me for not doing a GBS on all of my clients. Yes, some HB CNMs are more tied to an OB but not ALL of us.
Bottom line is do your research and if you are considering a homebirth interview both CNMs and CPMs to see what their practices are and decide what you are comfortable with.
#28 of 28 Old 05-13-2009, 04:40 PM

Joey, you are definitely right.

We have one CNM here in particular that has her hands tied and she is the CNM willing to travel to the Baltimore and surrounding counties - Harford, Carroll, etc... so that is what we speak of. She has been yelled at for not forcing clients to do a GBS test or for taking on VBACs in-hospital and at home it isn't something they like especially when transfer occurs.

Hopefully that will change one day. CNMs and CPMs deserve the freedom to practice and not have to alter their care because of politics or fear of losing their job or ability to practice.

CNMs can do HBACs and even do HBA2C,etc... Interview!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page