looking for water birth in hospital setting NJ - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 42 Old 01-27-2009, 07:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amandala View Post

All this talk of doing your research is starting to make me really nervous...we've done so little of that, we don't even know where to start.
If at all possible, get yourself a doula that's consistent with your beliefs (for example, I wanted absolutely no epidural because they scare the crap out of me and my doula was just fine with keeping me away from them.) I have to add that much to all of this, because when my midwife would recommend something, I would cross-check with my doula, more to see if that's what I said I was okay with before my brain went to laborland. After my experience, I would never give birth without a doula. She's there for you and your needs above all.
#32 of 42 Old 06-10-2009, 02:28 PM

Hi all,

I delivered my first baby on 12/8/08 at Hackettstown hospital. The whole experience with Hackettstown midwives was just amazing. I don't know how to thank all of them to this day!!! Even though I was planning for a water birth, I had to step out of the jacuzzi... b/c I couldn't dilate to 100% even after 30 hours of long labor. Roxy administered the right dosage of pitocin and she helped me out manually too. Water labor was much much better than just laboring outside of water. Water is a very powerful pain management techinique. The one thing that I regret about that I didn't hire my acupuncturist (many studies show that acupuncture during labor can speed up the progress and if a woman desires, she can also have acupuncture for pain relief). Hopefully, you wont' need to go through the same. Lisa was there during my early labor, but Roxy was with me almost all the time. I also had Teresa Fisher (who was our childbirth educator) to be my doula. Teresa was also wonderful!!! My boy was also bit - 8lbs 12ounces and I didn't tear besides not bringing an acupuncturist I wouldn't change a single thing about my labor/delivery Besides, girls, you can't really plan it, you can prepare as much as you can, but you don't really know in advance how it'll go. I will use Hackettstown midwives in the future even though it takes us 1 hour to get there (we live in Glen Rock, Bergen county).

All the best to everybody and congrats!!!
#33 of 42 Old 06-10-2009, 02:33 PM

I read all the magazines about pregnancy/birth that came my way... Also, I highly recommend Teresa Fischer's childbirth course: http://www.yourownbirth.com/

They recommend Ina May's Guide to Childbirth on the course, but I didn't really like it. I liked "The Baby Book" by dr Sears more
#34 of 42 Old 06-10-2009, 02:34 PM

I'm sorry, I meant "The Birth Book" by dr. Sears in my previous reply. I read their "The Baby Book" right now
#35 of 42 Old 06-10-2009, 03:18 PM

I don't know why, but for some reason I didn't click with Lisa's personality, but Roxy was my choice! She's not pushy at all, very friendly, I would say motherly I tried so many birthing positions during my pushing stage and she was very very patient. Teresa and Roxy helped me so much!!! My boy was born after 32 hours of labor and 3 hours of pushing with 10 on the Apgar score. He had no sigh of distress during labor/delivery. Both Teresa and Roxy admitted that if I gave birth at any other locations they would've diagnosed me with a FTP and section then.

I switched to the practice on my 26-28 week (don't remember exactly) and I also regretted that I didn't switch earlier!!! All three of them sat down with me for about an hour during each prenatal visit, answered all of my numerous questions and made my concerns disappear.

I was also "overdue" by 10 days when I went into labor, but you really need to count 40 weeks from the ovulation date (thus i think it's normal to go up to 42nd week). I tried different natural techniques to induce myself. On my last prenatal visit I had a normal non-stress test and Cindy recommended to have primrose oil taken orally and vaginally (I wasn't dilated or effaced by even 1%). So, on 12/5/08 I had my primrose oil taken, then on 12/06/08, I ate spicy foods (though I think spicy foods is BS, but at least I tried...), walked a lot (probably more than 2 hours), but I walked almost every day (for about 30-40 min) during my pregnancy and had another session of prenatal yoga. During childbirth courses/prenatal visits they also recommend to have sex especially after 37 weeks, since male sperm has a hormone that softens the cervix. I went into labor on 12/06 in the evening and my baby was born on 12/08/08.
#36 of 42 Old 12-05-2011, 05:09 PM

I gave birth at Mountainside hospital. They had a "laboring tub" however, my son arrived faster than anticipated and caused the hospital to rewrite policy...

#37 of 42 Old 11-21-2012, 01:24 PM

Hello everyone! I am a mom-to-be in Warren County, NJ. I am mearing the end of week 30 and I have decided I would like to have a water birth, possibly in my own home. Does anyone know midwives who would do a home water birth? or if not, could someone give me more details about the Hackettstown midwives and hospital? I would really appreciate it! Thanks! :)

#38 of 42 Old 01-08-2013, 01:43 PM

Hi Tigress!  Check out Jessica Lawlor.  She was totally on board with my home waterbirth!  http://www.newjerseyhomebirth.com/

Cindy + DH Paul = DS1 (4/26/06), DS2 (11/30/07), DD (12/20/10) & surprise 4th edition coming in April 2014.

Bradley Method Natural Childbirth Educator, Doula, and Breastfeeding Counselor

#39 of 42 Old 01-11-2013, 01:13 PM

Jessica is amazing, I love Dina Aurichio too. Hackettstown Midwives are out of Midwives are out of Morristown Hospital now and they do water birth there. dr. Judy Banks also does water birth at Morristown. Good luck!

Mom to Liam 9/06, spirit baby 3/09, and identical twins Mateo and Sebastian 10/11namaste.gif

#40 of 42 Old 01-15-2013, 06:56 AM

We just took an amazing childbirth class with Teresa Fischer (yourownbirth) and felt really prepared for our natural birth at home. We took the class with three other couples who were all having their baby with Judy Ann Hagan CNM (www.babycatcher.com) and everyone has had a great experience. I can't say enough good things about Teresa and our experience with Judy! Our birth was wonderful...
#41 of 42 Old 02-26-2013, 11:13 AM

I am very surprised at any negative comments made of the Hackettstown midwives.  Lisa attended the births of both my son and daughter and it went swimmingly both times!  (Waterbirths - pun intended!)  She was knitting during the first birth, but I knew if she was free to knit then all was going well.  I knew she had every sense tuned into what I was doing and as she said I'M not the one giving birth, YOU are.  I'm just here to help."  I credit the education I received here (and Teresa's class) for my short labors- 9 & 4.5 hrs.  No surprises.  And for the most part, she was with us the whole time.  I adore these women.  It wasn't just about our kid's births- they really changed our lives.  Because of what I have learned from them & since then, I am considering to be a Bradley instructor myself!

budwana birth likes this.
#42 of 42 Old 03-07-2013, 09:41 PM

I think different people have very different experiences with midwives. It depends who you get and how your birth goes. If everything goes well you are probably happy with whoever attended the birth. I think for me it came down to feeling like I wanted to know for sure who my midwives were going to be as well as feel like I wasn't just one of a bunch of people having the baby that month. I felt like my midwife really knew me and what I wanted and that by the time I gave birth I just really trusted her no matter what happened. I have heard a lot of complaints about Hackettstown midwives and not knowing who you are going to get for your birth and that the care is less individualized and more of a birth mill then I think people that choose home birth want.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page