NJ disability for maternity leave? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 12-22-2008, 06:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone familiar with the new law in NJ? I'm sure I know the answer to this question, but... if my sister works in Philadelphia, PA, but resides in NJ, does she get the coverage?

Stacey teaching teens to read & write... Daddy plays ska, DD1 (7/05) loves trees & princesses, & DD2 (3/10) loves mommy-milk! Please get your kids tested for lead.
#2 of 5 Old 12-23-2008, 10:23 PM

She needs to look at her paystub and see if they are taking out a tax for it.
I live in Philly and work in NJ and received the coverage with both kids, but I've also gotten the tax taken out.
More info here: http://lwd.dol.state.nj.us/labor/tdi...pregnancy.html
And surprisingly, the people that answer the phone there are quite pleasant and helpful- she should call and ask.

modern-mama to DS (5.16.05) and DD (9.11.08) and one more (GIRL!) coming in December
#3 of 5 Old 12-28-2008, 02:27 PM

It all depends on where her payroll and taxes are through. Most likely it is through PA unless it is a big company that does a NJ payroll....

My sister lives in NJ but works in Delaware and could only use Delaware benefits... her company has a NJ payroll but she didnt have time to switch to it before the baby to get NJ benefits.

Mama to two boys (1/07 and 3/09) and due with baby #3 in May.
#4 of 5 Old 12-29-2008, 12:51 AM

My friend who lived in PA got disability benefits through my NJ company but my company pays into a private short term disability benefit which was better than the one offered by the state so that is the one women at my company use. She also needs to check with HR to see what she pays into and how they work their maternity leave. It really varies with companies so it's best just to ask HR.

Proud mommy 9/2004 ribboncesarean.gif , 11/2007 vbac.gif, 2/2011 ribboncesarean.gif
ICAN of New Jersey --> find 2010 NJ hospital birth stats here!

#5 of 5 Old 04-07-2009, 08:11 PM

NJ state disability benefits are mandated for anyone who works in the state for a private employer.

If your sister lives in NJ, but works in Pa she is not covered by the NJ plan. Her best best is to buy an individual short term disability before she conceives.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page