If I were to accept a job located in the Bronx, where should I live? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 32 Old 12-27-2008, 12:38 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm in the internship match process right now and I may get matched to a site in the Bronx. If I do, what are some good areas to live? I don't mind a commute, I'd just like the area to be safe, clean, and not too expensive. Are there any suburbs that I could live in that are reasonable commute to the Bronx? Even in New Jersey?
#2 of 32 Old 12-27-2008, 01:45 PM

That depends on where you're going to be working in the Bronx. It's a big place, and traffic is bad. So, NJ, Queens, Westchester county are all possibilities. Let us know where exactly your internship would be.

Stacey teaching teens to read & write... Daddy plays ska, DD1 (7/05) loves trees & princesses, & DD2 (3/10) loves mommy-milk! Please get your kids tested for lead.
#3 of 32 Old 12-27-2008, 03:39 PM - Thread Starter

The site is the Astor Home for Children, 750 Tilden Street, which is off of Gun Hill Rd and White Plains Rd. I don't know which neighborhood of the Bronx it is considered to be in...I don't know anything about the Bronx! Are there neighborhoods in the Bronx that are nice? I've heard Riverdale is ok.
#4 of 32 Old 12-27-2008, 03:48 PM

Riverdale is beautiful, but I think it's probably expensive. But you're right--there are nice areas in the Bronx.

It looks like you're about equidistant to the Whitestone bridge into Queens and Route 9 into Jersey. I can't really comment on North Jersey 'burbs, since I'm a South Jersey girl. But, we lived in Queens when we were in NYC and loved it. There is a lot of variation there in terms of the types of neighborhoods you can find.

What do you want--suburbs, urban? Do you have kids (ie, are schools a concern)?

I'm hoping someone else jumps in here, because I think I've just about exhausted my usefulness in this thread!

Stacey teaching teens to read & write... Daddy plays ska, DD1 (7/05) loves trees & princesses, & DD2 (3/10) loves mommy-milk! Please get your kids tested for lead.
#5 of 32 Old 12-27-2008, 04:58 PM - Thread Starter

I don't have any kids, so schools are not an issue at all. I don't mind urban or suburban, it just has to be safe, since I may be moving there alone. My boyfriend has not decided if he is able to move with me(job is here in Chicago). I'd also prefer a newer building, because I'm weird about cleanliness. I would never feel comforable in an old apartment with grimey bath tubs and sinks. I'd only need a 1 bedroom so hopefully that helps with the price. I'll also have a car so easy parking would be nice. I've been looking on craigslist, but I have no idea which neighborhoods are good or which search terms to use. Thanks for your help!!
#6 of 32 Old 12-28-2008, 12:46 AM

If you want a more urban setting, you could try Inwood. It's the uppermost tip of Manhattan, and there's subway access, but it's not as expensive as a lot of areas in Manhattan. And there's a beautiful park there (Fort Tryon) and an outpost of the Metropolitan Museum (Cloisters). Looks like the commute would be ok to that location in the Bronx, by car. Most apartments will probably be older, though.

It's a bit difficult to manage having a car in NYC (any of the 5 boroughs) because of parking regulations. Each street has 2 or 3 mornings when you cannot park there, so you have to move your car around a lot to avoid tickets. Maybe this wouldn't be a problem if you were driving to work every day, although the no-parking zones often start at 7am.

If you're looking in New Jersey, you probably want to look at the communities around the George Washington Bridge, but I don't know much about the individual character of each town. I think Leonia is supposed to be fairly multicultural and nice. Good luck!

lady.gif mama to H. 4/05 and A. 9/08 and baby C. 10/11

#7 of 32 Old 12-28-2008, 11:14 AM

One thing to keep in mind about older apartments: a lot of older buildings have renovated apartments. We always lived in pre-war apartments, but they were always renovated. The reason for this, as far as I'm aware, is some loophole in the rent stabilization code where landlords can charge more when an apartment is renovated and changes hands than when it just changes hands.

#8 of 32 Old 12-28-2008, 01:23 PM

You are very close to Westchester and I have some friends who live in lovely, inexpensive apartments in the Mount Vernon area and Mount kisco, both of which would be a very easy commute. I worked in the Bronx for years when i lived in Astoria, Queens. It was literally a 20 minute commute. HOwver, parking is atrocious and with alternate side of the street parking, we were always getting tickets so if you don't mind the suburbs, i'd go suburbs. You'll get more for your money in the suburbs (even in expensive westchester) and won't have to worry about your car since you'll probably have easy parking. Astor Home for Children is in the northern bronx so Westchester County may be the way to go. Westchester can be pricey to buy a house but you can definaety find affordable rental apartments. Check out Yonkers, Mount Kisco, Mount Vernon or just do a search for westchester on Craigslist.

Good luck!

Diana

Another thing: personally, i would avoid New Jersey since you are working in the Bronx. A commute from nJ to the bronx is technically quite easy but there is always HORRIFIC traffic, making your commute very lengthy
#9 of 32 Old 12-28-2008, 01:53 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you guys so much! I am going to focus my search on Westchester for now and see what I come up with. Also go to keep an eye out for lower cost apts in Riverdale. You guys are the best!
#10 of 32 Old 12-28-2008, 02:35 PM

re riverdale - be aware that many of the building with a parking garage a) charge additional fees per month for the spot and b) sometimes have a multiple year waiting list. depending on where you are in riverdale, parking can be a PITA!
#11 of 32 Old 12-28-2008, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freud View Post
The site is the Astor Home for Children, 750 Tilden Street, which is off of Gun Hill Rd and White Plains Rd. I don't know which neighborhood of the Bronx it is considered to be in...I don't know anything about the Bronx! Are there neighborhoods in the Bronx that are nice? I've heard Riverdale is ok.
Wow! I didn't know people still think this way about the Bronx.
The richest population in NYC lives in Riverdale (not Park Avenue). The Bronx is the greenest borough and has lots of diversity. You should really do some research before you choose Westchester. I'm not familiar with the area you might be working in, but there are lots of very nice neighborhoods even outside of Riverdale. Good luck.
#12 of 32 Old 12-28-2008, 10:44 PM

I used to live in Woodlawn - love it! It's a heavily Irish area, with two nice shopping streets with restaurants, delis, dry cleaners, pharmacy, etc. Street parking is fairly easy & some apts come w/parking. Reasonable mass transit options - it is close to the 4 & I think the 2 train. There are lots of 2/3 family homes w/apts.

Riverdale is also nice - not everything is super expensive. There's some VERY swank neighborhoods but also some more reasonable apts. I don't know a whole lot about other Bronx nabes.

I live in Westchester now. Yonkers borders Riverdale. Yonkers is a pretty big city & has a huge range of neighborhoods - very fancy, quite rundown, convenient, "remote (relatively speaking)," etc. Mt Vernon is also close to the Bronx. The Fleetwood neighborhood is nice and convenient to Metro North.

Finding brand spanking new buildings may be tough around here. You may find some new construction, but honestly, most of these areas we're talking about were densely settled many moons ago and most apt buildings are prewar (great moldings and tall ceilings!) or from the 50s/60s. However, old does not equal dirty.

Good luck!
#13 of 32 Old 12-29-2008, 06:08 PM

we just moved from chicago about 18 months ago. get ready for a transition...

if you go to jersey keep in mind that the GW traffic IS a nightmare and it costs $8 to cross into the city now. yep, you heard me right. $8.

we live in upper manhattan and it's lovely. if you do move here, try, if possible, to go west of broadway. the noise is less. inwood is gorgeous too.

PLEASE use this website to check out apartments. you don't want to end up with crappy management, roaches or bedbugs. or type in HPD nyc into google if you lose the link. http://www.nyc.gov/html/hpd/html/pr/violation.shtml

if they have alternate side parking, leave the car. we brought ours. 3 months later mom and dad got a new car as long as they came to pick it up. we seriously gave it away, it's that big of a nightmare.

the bronx has some great deals in it, but i know how you feel coming from a different city. you just don't have that inside knowledge of where the line is about safety in some locations. go with your gut. and in case nobody warned you, have your paperwork in line before you come. http://home2.nyc.gov/portal/site/nyc...fa24601c789a0/

good luck! the real estate market is pure bloodsport here!!

Liz, wife to John, mom to Dylan and my giant slug zocha :
#14 of 32 Old 12-30-2008, 05:07 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you for the great advice! It would be super stressful to move to NYC for me, since I know virtually nothing about it. I didn't know anything about any paperwork and I went to the link you posted, but don't think I found what you were talking about. Can you explain?
#15 of 32 Old 12-30-2008, 11:59 PM

As a native Bronx inhabitant, I have to say- avoid NJ. The commute will be horrible.

If you are thinking of Westchester then consider Yonkers, Mount Vernon or New Rochelle (any further up and the commute will start getting a little long.) Some nice areas in the Bronx to consider are Woodlawn (mentioned above), Parkchester and Pelham Parkway (which has some of the most beautiful houses you will see.)

Good Luck! And try to visit the Bronx and check out the areas to get a sense of them yourself.

Marie
#16 of 32 Old 12-31-2008, 12:23 AM

Something to keep in mind
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commuter_tax

AND, they keeping raising the prices at the bridges.

He who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe is as good as dead; his eyes are closed.  ~Albert Einstein
#17 of 32 Old 12-31-2008, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freud View Post
Thank you for the great advice! It would be super stressful to move to NYC for me, since I know virtually nothing about it. I didn't know anything about any paperwork and I went to the link you posted, but don't think I found what you were talking about. Can you explain?
this is a good resource
http://www.housingnyc.com/html/guide/basics.html

this explains the paperwork requirements, but I am NOT advocating using them as a resource. we did and cross-referenced addresses against HPD site. most locations had bedbug complaints. UGH!
http://www.rent-direct.com/main.html

or
http://manhattan.about.com/od/findan...alcostsnyc.htm

feel free to PM me

#18 of 32 Old 12-31-2008, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doularina View Post
Wow! I didn't know people still think this way about the Bronx.
The richest population in NYC lives in Riverdale (not Park Avenue). The Bronx is the greenest borough and has lots of diversity.
I thought Staten Island had more park/ nature preserve/ greenbelt areas than the other boroughs.
#19 of 32 Old 01-02-2009, 11:38 AM

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/20/re...0COV.html?_r=1

you might find this handy info.

#20 of 32 Old 01-02-2009, 03:47 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Lower Westchester would be wonderful. You could try Pelham- beautiful, but somewhat expensive (and we could be possibly end up neighbors- I believe there are openings in my apartment building) or Eastchester or New Rochelle are okay. Some parts of Mount Vernon are good, but you wouldn't want your kids in the High School.

I pray for the day Family Court recognizes that CHILDREN have rights, parents only have PRIVILEGES.  Only then, will I know my child is safe.
#21 of 32 Old 01-02-2009, 04:53 PM - Thread Starter

Woah woah woah! You HAVE to meet those salary requirements? I'm going to be an intern! I'm not gonna make enough to support myself. I'll be living off of student loans. Is that going to hurt my chances of getting an apartment? I could have my parents sign for it, though. Is that even an option?
#22 of 32 Old 01-02-2009, 07:47 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
You have 2 options:

- find a private landlord (not a building) who will be flexible (buildings and management companies are tough on the 40x rule). This has perils. it can be great, or it can be shady. That goes triple in the 'burbs where illegal subdivides are a problem. (less in Westchester than by me, I think; LI is notorious for illegal apartments). If you rent an apartment in a house, ask to see the permit. In NYC this shouldn't be an issue unless it's a basement, I think. But you mentioned in another thread that you have an interview in Dix Hills, so you need to be aware of this. If you do get matched out on LI, LMK, I'll send you some info because a lot of newcomers get a nasty surprise when they find out their apartment is illegal and they have no rights.

- use your parents as a guarantor. They need to make 80x the rent. (so, to rent a place costing 1K a month, you need to make 40K/yr, or your parents need to make 80K).

Riverdale is really nice, though it's cut off from the rest of the Bronx. It's expensive by Bronx standards, but not by NYC in general--when I was looking, Riverdale was the same or cheaper as the nicer parts of Northeast Queens.

Lower Westchester means owning a car, and insurance isn't cheap here.

Another vote for avoiding NJ - the GWB is a nightmare.

DD 01/2007, DS 09/2011

#23 of 32 Old 01-02-2009, 11:22 PM - Thread Starter

Oh my gosh. Thank you so much for all that info. I would have had no clue. Thankfully, I have my parents to sign, otherwise, I'd be out of luck. Now, I'm kind of rethinking the internship site in NYC.
#24 of 32 Old 01-02-2009, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexisT View Post
You have 2 options:

- find a private landlord (not a building) who will be flexible (buildings and management companies are tough on the 40x rule). This has perils. it can be great, or it can be shady. That goes triple in the 'burbs where illegal subdivides are a problem. (less in Westchester than by me, I think; LI is notorious for illegal apartments). If you rent an apartment in a house, ask to see the permit. In NYC this shouldn't be an issue unless it's a basement, I think. But you mentioned in another thread that you have an interview in Dix Hills, so you need to be aware of this. If you do get matched out on LI, LMK, I'll send you some info because a lot of newcomers get a nasty surprise when they find out their apartment is illegal and they have no rights.
I was a landlord in Woodlawn - the Bronx - and wouldn't have known what someone meant if they asked for a permit. Do you mean the certificate of occupancy? My house (a legal two-family) was built before COs were routinely issued so it didn't have one, IIRC. Just an FYI.

In any event, Woodlawn has a lot of two & three family homes w/rental units and smaller landlords who might be flexible. A good source for rental listings there is the Irish Echo newspaper. Not sure if this is still the case, but as of a couple of years ago, the online classifieds were rather paltry compared w/what ran in the print edition.

And, I second (third? fourth?) no NJ. I commuted to NJ from Westchester for a few years. It was an easy drive. Because my work day started @ 5 am and ended about 1 pm. If you're doing rush hour driving - ugh. Big time. My mom also did the reverse commute (went to Jersey from NY) for years and years, and it was very tough.
#25 of 32 Old 01-02-2009, 11:52 PM

DH and I used to live in Parkchester. It is a great neighborhood, and there are many people who rent out apartments privately (they are condos.) The Bx39 (bus) will take you right there.

Though NJ is an OK commute to some parts of the Bronx (like Riverdale is a quick drive from NJ, or areas along the D train,) the area you are looking at is a horrible trip from NJ.

Timmy's Mommy WARNINGyslexic typing with help of preschooler, beware of typos
#26 of 32 Old 01-03-2009, 04:54 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToastyToes View Post
I was a landlord in Woodlawn - the Bronx - and wouldn't have known what someone meant if they asked for a permit. Do you mean the certificate of occupancy? My house (a legal two-family) was built before COs were routinely issued so it didn't have one, IIRC. Just an FYI.
On LI, houses built before COs were routine have letters-in-lieu or a certificate of compliance (the term varies by town). Here, the term is an "accessory apartment permit" and it's legally required to rent out part of your home, regardless of when it was built or the original CO. It's a big problem out here and it's something anyone coming to LI needs to know. I've seen a lot of people burned by it.

DD 01/2007, DS 09/2011

#27 of 32 Old 01-03-2009, 05:11 PM

I have friends that live in the Pelham area (that harleyhalfmoon suggested) 2 stops from the place of business on the 2 train, and it's an affordable and fantastic area. I really like it. Lots of families, inexpensive fruit markets, accessible stores. The home is just a few blocks from the train so commuting anywhere on the red line would make sense. I would stick near your workplace if possible, especially since its in an already affordable area. You can also find affordable apartments in Queens and Brooklyn--both are great boroughs with a lot of options, but it will greatly increase the time you spend commuting.

I found all of my apartments in NYC on Craigslist with great success. Normal apartment renting caveats apply.

Teach your children about the global water crisis
Visit Dream Village to learn more | Check out Saved by the Well on Amazon! | SBTW Trailer!
#28 of 32 Old 01-03-2009, 09:49 PM

I can't help you with figuring out housing in the Bronx...I read this thread with curiosity because I, too, did an internship. By any chance are you looking for an APA (psych) internship? I remember that process and it was so stressful. Good luck with it. I didn't apply to Astoria but did apply to several in the NY area (Manhattan and Brooklyn), but ended up getting matched at Jersey Shore Medical Center which was a blessing in disguise. I was moving back East after being in grad school on the West Coast and I think moving to Brooklyn would have been too much of a shock to my system at the time. I know this is totally tangential to your actual thread but I couldn't resist chiming in! If I could be of any help as a veteran of this process, let me know.

Miriam
#29 of 32 Old 01-04-2009, 06:32 PM

Another option would be to sublet with someone. That way you would not be the only one with the lease under your name and you could split the costs.

I am a New York Teaching Fellow and I know many young professionals who have moved to NYC and are looking for roommates, especially in the Bronx. If this interests you, let me know and I can always post on the Teaching Fellows forum.

The following is an example of listings from the forum:

$650—Subletting 1 Bdrm in 2bdrm apartment

Working teaching professional looking to sublet 1bdrm in 2bdrm apartment. Brand new house with new appliances and lots of storage space. Large bedroom with walk-in closet. Large windows, bright and sunny room.

Great location—close to subway (3, 4, 5, A & C trains), buses (B15, B35), supermarket, post office, laundry, and park.

All utilities included (gas, light, water and heat), plus digital cable, phone and wireless internet.

Contact me at 917-684-1326 or by email at oingram@gmail.com
#30 of 32 Old 01-04-2009, 08:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2Jordan View Post
I can't help you with figuring out housing in the Bronx...I read this thread with curiosity because I, too, did an internship. By any chance are you looking for an APA (psych) internship? I remember that process and it was so stressful. Good luck with it. I didn't apply to Astoria but did apply to several in the NY area (Manhattan and Brooklyn), but ended up getting matched at Jersey Shore Medical Center which was a blessing in disguise. I was moving back East after being in grad school on the West Coast and I think moving to Brooklyn would have been too much of a shock to my system at the time. I know this is totally tangential to your actual thread but I couldn't resist chiming in! If I could be of any help as a veteran of this process, let me know.

Miriam
Yup. Clinical Psych here! I'm hoping for an APA accredited one, although I did apply and have interviews at some sites without APA accred. Right now I am siting in my hotel room in Poughkeepsie, NY. I have my first and most important internship interview tomorrow morning. The madness has officially begun. If you have any last minute words of wisdom, please, please send them my!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page