Looking For a VBAC friendly Doc in or around Philadelphia - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 22 Old 12-30-2008, 01:03 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have had two un-ness C/S and I am on a quest to find a friendly VBAC doc to allow me a shot at natural birth.. Any advice... I would have a home birth but my family DH MIL and the rest are very unsupportive of the thought that they even said they will not be there while I kill myself and my baby.. I want to feel supported in this.. I want a fair chance I was scared into the last c/s the doc said I would ruputre and what not. but I have done alot of research and know that is not true now.. so if anyone has any advise please foward it to me...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 22 Old 12-30-2008, 02:49 AM

Where at in phila area? I recently had a csection in April, performed by the back up doc of my midwives. They have assured me that if I go on to have another baby he would assist in a vbac for me. I'd have to look it up who he was though, lol, but I delivered at delaware county memorial hospital. That all said, I had three previous vaginal births with no complications, not sure how much thatcounts in 'allowing' a vbac.
#3 of 22 Old 12-30-2008, 01:56 PM - Thread Starter

I live in NE phila but is willing to travel almost any where to have a chance.. As long as my insurance will allow me to go there.. I have not had any past vaginal births.. I am albe to get to 10 centi and push but it seems like I alwasy reach that magic hour and they say I will not be able to do this I have had a MRI and exrays showing that my pelvis can handle a 8 lbs baby but I think the doctors don't want to waste thier time.. so it is easier on them to schedule a c/s
#4 of 22 Old 12-30-2008, 05:35 PM

The "vbac-friendliness" of a provider seems to change all the time, unfortunately. I can give you a few suggestions that you can try but I don't know for sure with any of them!

I've heard that the midwives at Pennsy Hospital have been supportive of vba2c. Dr Bader (at UPenn, I think) supported a vba2c on one of those birth shows. The Lehigh Valley midwives up in Allentown have supported vba2c. The back up doctor for my midwives, Dr Burbella, has supported vba2c at Capital Health in Trenton (though he said that he might not be as supportive if you've pushed for hours 2 time and haven't been able to get a 9 lb baby out but I believe every birth is different and positioning makes a big difference with how easily a baby can come out or not; the advantage of fully dilating already is that a doctor has reason to believe he won't be waiting around forever for you to dilate; he just needs to give you a chance to push again and if your babies have been smaller that could be an advantage). Dr Bailey at Lankenau (do a search for him on this board) is known to be vbac friendly but I don't know about vba2c. This practice www.jdsinger.com told a local doula they would support her in a vba2c.

Good luck!!!

Proud mommy 9/2004 ribboncesarean.gif , 11/2007 vbac.gif, 2/2011 ribboncesarean.gif
ICAN of New Jersey --> find 2010 NJ hospital birth stats here!

#5 of 22 Old 12-30-2008, 09:56 PM

I just had a VBA2C with Valley Midwives. They catch at Lehigh Valley Hospital. They were fabulous, the back-up doc, not-so-much.

Valley Birth Place in Huntigdon Valley may do them. She was with Chestnut Hill Hospital and they wouldn't allow me to VBA2C, but she is with Montgomery Hospital now and I don't know what they allow.

There are homebirth midwives who I have heard good things about, too, so look into them if that is what you want.

Vincie, married to Andy and mama to Tyler (2/04), Noah (6/06) and Sean (7/08)
#6 of 22 Old 12-31-2008, 12:18 AM - Thread Starter

I called valley midwives they would let me no problem but my insurance company said no that i would have to find someone closer to home.. thats the problem I have found two different docs and both times the insurance said to far. I don't know what to do
#7 of 22 Old 12-31-2008, 01:26 AM

Ok, Here's a Dr who is really great - I am not sure about his VBAC protocol, his name is Joel Kramer, his practice delivers at Holy Redeemer. His number is 215-543-0600. He is a great Dr!

I go to Jefferson Hospital, but I am high risk. The Dr I see, I really like but he is a Perinatologist. I also see a MW. I could ask them next week if they do VBACs as well!

You could try Kathy Hindle, but I do not know where she is delivering these days. She was at Chestnut Hill.

Take care!
Jen

Jen, mama to  (M-13, N- 10, C- 8 rainbow1284.gif J- 3.5, and rainbow1284.gifJ -2, angel3.gifA (10/4/07) and 3 early losses)
We are expecting baby #7 in November 2013

#8 of 22 Old 12-31-2008, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopeful VBA2C View Post
I called valley midwives they would let me no problem but my insurance company said no that i would have to find someone closer to home.. thats the problem I have found two different docs and both times the insurance said to far. I don't know what to do
I didn't know that insurance could so no because of distance? Lehigh Valley Hospital for me is about 30 miles away and 50 minutes and I never even thought to check with insurance. I just made sure they were in my network.

Quote:
Originally Posted by momoftworedheads View Post
Ok, Here's a Dr who is really great - I am not sure about his VBAC protocol, his name is Joel Kramer, his practice delivers at Holy Redeemer. His number is 215-543-0600. He is a great Dr!

I go to Jefferson Hospital, but I am high risk. The Dr I see, I really like but he is a Perinatologist. I also see a MW. I could ask them next week if they do VBACs as well!

You could try Kathy Hindle, but I do not know where she is delivering these days. She was at Chestnut Hill.

Take care!
Jen
Holy Redeemer does not do VBAC's. Kathy Hindle is at Montgomery Hospital, but she doesn't take VBAC's unless you had your c/s with her.

#9 of 22 Old 01-09-2009, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. B View Post
I just had a VBA2C with Valley Midwives. They catch at Lehigh Valley Hospital. They were fabulous, the back-up doc, not-so-much.

Valley Birth Place in Huntigdon Valley may do them. She was with Chestnut Hill Hospital and they wouldn't allow me to VBA2C, but she is with Montgomery Hospital now and I don't know what they allow.

There are homebirth midwives who I have heard good things about, too, so look into them if that is what you want.
That is where I am hoping to have my VBAC! I have my first prenatal appointment with them on Monday

That is crazy about the insurance. I am in Upper Bucks and am about 40 minutes from Valley Midwives and am just assuming that since they are in my network it will be fine. I mean Grandview is right around the corner but they are not VBAC friendly at all.
#10 of 22 Old 01-09-2009, 01:39 PM - Thread Starter

Valley birth center said that they take my insurence but there back up doctors don't so I the case of a c/s they don't want to take me/
#11 of 22 Old 01-10-2009, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camelfam View Post
That is where I am hoping to have my VBAC! I have my first prenatal appointment with them on Monday

That is crazy about the insurance. I am in Upper Bucks and am about 40 minutes from Valley Midwives and am just assuming that since they are in my network it will be fine. I mean Grandview is right around the corner but they are not VBAC friendly at all.
Yea! Laurice is wonderful! She brought so much energy to my birth. Just watch for the bait-and-switch with their ob. He was all go-go ay our initial meeting and then at 38? weeks, I think, he was all about a c/s. Same during labor.

#12 of 22 Old 01-10-2009, 08:50 PM - Thread Starter

if you don't mind me asking what insurence do you ladys have b/c I have keystone mercy which they accept but the back up doesn't so I didn't think I could go there. I would reall love to go there
#13 of 22 Old 01-11-2009, 12:16 PM

Quote:
if you don't mind me asking what insurence do you ladys have b/c I have keystone mercy which they accept but the back up doesn't so I didn't think I could go there. I would reall love to go there
I have United Healthcare. Maybe they could recommend another doc for you that does take your insurance? Not sure if they do that.

And I just really read your siggy...I have a Tyler and I sometimes call him T.J.!

#14 of 22 Old 01-11-2009, 10:00 PM

I just had a successful VBAC for my second birth. My Midwife was Patricia Madden and her back up doc is Leisa O'Flynn. They are great! Their practice is Women’s Health Care of Mullica Hill. http://www.womenshealthcaremh.com/ I gave birth at regional hospital in Vineland but Kennedy Hospital on Hurffville Cross Key Rd in Blackwood, NJ was my other option for location.

Good luck mama!!
#15 of 22 Old 05-12-2009, 03:53 PM

I just found an office that delivers to Phoenixville Hospital and is VBAC friendly. I'm scheduled for a consultation so let's hope everything goes well. My friend has used them to deliver two children naturally and speaks highly of the practice and the hospital.

Valley Forge OB
799 Gay St.
Phoenixville, PA 19460
610-933-2440

They also have an office in Limerick, PA.
#16 of 22 Old 05-13-2009, 03:23 AM - Thread Starter

I just wanted everyone to know that I just had a successfull VBA2C @ Thomas Jefferson Hospital in Philadlephia the doctors there are awsome. They never tried to talk me out of it. they told me the risks and benifits and allowed me to make my mind up and than supported me in my chioce to attempt it..
#17 of 22 Old 05-13-2009, 10:25 AM

AWESOME!!!

Congratulations! I'd love to hear your birth story!
#18 of 22 Old 05-19-2009, 10:12 AM

Congrats! Enjoy your baby moon

Jen, mama to  (M-13, N- 10, C- 8 rainbow1284.gif J- 3.5, and rainbow1284.gifJ -2, angel3.gifA (10/4/07) and 3 early losses)
We are expecting baby #7 in November 2013

#19 of 22 Old 05-19-2009, 06:25 PM - Thread Starter

I found out I was pregnant shortly after I got married in august. I was hoping to find a VBAC friendly doctor before hand but it did work out that way. So I used me ob while still searching for someone else and finally I founf Joga Clinic at Jefferson, They are great my first appt I went in ready to fight for what I wanted but realized they were more for it than I was. they simply give me facts and let me decided. So the day finally came and I was having irregular cont. so I thought I was doing to much that I should go lay down well I was wrong. I made it two steps to my room and than they got bad.. so I said let me go and get my DH and lets go to the hospital on the ride don to the hospital they became very regular and painful. they checked me when I got there I was 7-8 cm and 100% effac. So needless to say I wasn't going home.. The docs came back in and ask if I was sure I want to try a vbac and again I said of course. thats was at 2:30 am and by 5:53am I delverid a happy and healthy baby boy weighing in at 5lbs 13 oz and 18 1/2 in and to everyones surprise I was orginally pregnant with twins and the dead one started attach to the plancenta. I devleried that as well.. all naturally and when everything was said and done I was so proud of myself that I could have done it all over again I feel normal ... I succesfully had my dream come true a vaginal delvery and a happy healthy baby.. so many doctors turned my away stating there is two much risk. blah blah blah.. I am proof that it can be done don't give up lady's ...
#20 of 22 Old 05-19-2009, 11:29 PM

This is good to know! I haven't had such great luck finding a VBAC friendly provider. I am waiting for a call back from Barbara D'Amato from Valley Birthplace.
#21 of 22 Old 05-20-2009, 01:44 AM

Quote:
I founf Joga Clinic at Jefferson, They are great my first appt I went in ready to fight for what I wanted but realized they were more for it than I was. they simply give me facts and let me decided.
Can you elaborate a little more on this Practice? I tried to look it up online without success. Who did you see? Where are they located? How supportive of your VBA2C where they? How far along were you when you change into their care?

thanks!
Monica in West Chester
#22 of 22 Old 05-26-2009, 10:47 PM

Joga Clinic???

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page