Moms/playdates in South Jersey - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 77 Old 01-01-2009, 05:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi,

I would like to connect with like-minded moms in South Jersey within a reasonable distance (I am in Cinnaminson), as well as find playdates for my 2-year-old son. I am aware of the Holistic moms network and plan to attend when the new one starts in February in Collingswood...I am just wondering about additional ways to connect in this area?
If anyone has some ideas about meetups or even if you'd like to do some informal playdates/etc, please let me know.

Thanks!

Miriam
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 77 Old 01-03-2009, 09:57 PM - Thread Starter

Ok...so no one is interested in meet-ups for moms? No one has any ideas? I am willing to travel 20-30 minutes if need be....further for myself (but it gets difficult for playdates). I feel disconnected from this area and haven't met many moms around here that practice attachment parenting, delayed vaxes (or no vaxes), extended breastfeeding, etc, etc,...and would like to feel more connected to women in this general area. Then again, I am also close to the Philly border, so am open to suggestions across the bridge(s)!
#3 of 77 Old 01-03-2009, 10:32 PM

I'd def be interested. we just moved to s. jersey from the west burbs of philly and I don't know anyone in this area. We're down in Mullica Hill. I'm not sure how things will be right now with the move, a newborn and two toddlers but I'm def up for something in the spring, esp anything at the park.
#4 of 77 Old 01-04-2009, 08:02 PM

My son is a bit older, but I'd be up for meeting other like-minded mommies. I'm in Philly, but DS does pre-school in Cinnaminson so I know that area well.

modern-mama to DS (5.16.05) and DD (9.11.08) and one more (GIRL!) coming in December
#5 of 77 Old 01-07-2009, 02:24 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your responses.
Biochick, you sound like you have a lot going on! Maybe in the spring things will be less hectic (or not!) and can plan for something then. Not sure how far Mullica Hill is from Cinnaminson, we'd have to figure that out.
Moderngal, do you work near Cinnaminson? (just wondering since you mentioned your son goes to preschool here). In any event, maybe we can work something out for a meetup.
Anyone else interested?

Miriam
#6 of 77 Old 01-07-2009, 08:41 PM

Possibly in the spring or over spring break, although my daughter is a bit older (3.5). But, I'm in Merchantville, Miriam, which is about 15 minutes down Route 130 from Cinnaminson.

Stacey teaching teens to read & write... Daddy plays ska, DD1 (7/05) loves trees & princesses, & DD2 (3/10) loves mommy-milk! Please get your kids tested for lead.
#7 of 77 Old 01-07-2009, 11:47 PM

Hi! I'm just now seeing this. I live practically next door in Riverside, and would love to meet up for play dates and such. I have an almost 5yo DD, an almost 3yo DS, and one on the way. Whew!
#8 of 77 Old 01-09-2009, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Moderngal, do you work near Cinnaminson? (just wondering since you mentioned your son goes to preschool here). In any event, maybe we can work something out for a meetup.
Yup- I used to work in Moorestown, now I'm in Camden. But I kept DS (and now DD) at the same place in Cinnaminson since we love the place so much. I'd love to get together. I'm also planning to join the Holistic Moms in Collingswood.

modern-mama to DS (5.16.05) and DD (9.11.08) and one more (GIRL!) coming in December
#9 of 77 Old 01-09-2009, 04:49 PM - Thread Starter

Ok, since there is some interest, do you have any ideas about what we should do? Set up a playdate, or a mom-only meetup somewhere? I would be up for either, as soon as my cold clears up (and my husband gets over the flu....we are no fun over here right now!).
Jefnsean, we are neighbors. When are you due? My EDD is July 1...
Moderngal, I'm curious as to what the preschool is that you love here, as I didn't find anything that great. My son is at Kindercare which has been ok for the most part.
I'm open to ideas.
#10 of 77 Old 01-09-2009, 08:07 PM

There's a Montessori in Delran that my neighbor ("cycle" on MDC) really likes for her son. Also, once your kids are at a pre-K level, there's Westfield Friends. My half sister goes there, and my dad and step-mom are really happy with it.

http://www.manj.org/

http://www.westfieldfriends.org/

I can't help you out because, although I really like my daycare, it's near work, not home.

Stacey teaching teens to read & write... Daddy plays ska, DD1 (7/05) loves trees & princesses, & DD2 (3/10) loves mommy-milk! Please get your kids tested for lead.
#11 of 77 Old 01-10-2009, 12:20 PM

mom2Jordan, I believe I'm about 8 weeks along in my pregnancy (there's some confusion to the dates, as I'm weaning my DS and my AF is wonky) so that makes me due towards the end of August.

I'm interested in a playdate type meet-up. My kids are home with me during the day, and I homeschool my DD.
#12 of 77 Old 01-13-2009, 04:09 PM

Hey, hi!
I'm always delighted to meet new crunchy mamas!! My son Griffin is 2.5, and we usually prefer to hang out with one family at a time, but I will always try to come to a group gathering, since that's often the best/easiest way to get to know folks...

I'm the one who is starting the Holistic Moms Chapter in Collingswood - we're going to have our Open House March 3, 6-8pm at the Collingswood Library - so save the date!
#13 of 77 Old 01-13-2009, 04:23 PM - Thread Starter

Ok...my cold appears to be lifting. Now if the pregnancy fatigue could go away too, that would be great!
So it sounds like we could get a small group together, maybe start off with a playdate, and go from there. I am off on Tuesdays and Fridays, and we also don't have too many set plans right now on the weekend so I could be flexible. We need to think of a place and time/day...if someone is brave enough to volunteer their home that would be great or we could meet somewhere public? (I can volunteer if noone else will....it just means I need to clean, etc.!) Mornings are best for us as Jordan takes a nap after lunch.
Virginia, it looks like it would only be a few of us if you're interested. I was looking forward to coming to the Holistic Moms...guess it's been moved back another month?
#14 of 77 Old 01-13-2009, 04:48 PM

Our schedule is very flexible - we'd love to come.

And yes -- the Holistic Moms chapter taking a little longer than I planned, due to the holidays and the training process. I just posted about it
on this thread.

My post read:

The West Jersey/Philadelphia Chapter of Holistic Moms Network will be launching with an Open House on:

Tuesday, March 3, 2009
6-8pm
Collingswood Library
771 Haddon Avenue, Collingswood, NJ 08108

We will continue meeting monthly on the First Tuesday of each month at this location and time.

If you are interested in helping to build this community, send me an email!
hmnwestjersey at gmail dot com

If you join as a HMN member in January, you save $5.
Here's the info.

So happy that there is some interest and excitement!
#15 of 77 Old 01-13-2009, 11:55 PM

Hi, Moms. We live in Tabernacle..do you know where that is??

I have been trying for quite some time to connect with some crunchy moms, so this is exciting!! I am a teacher, now at home, with my 2.5 DD Lydia, and 14 year old DD, Aubrey, (in school). I would love to get together and will make the drive (probably 30-40 minutes for me). You are also welcome to come here and play. In the near future, I would like bring together moms who might be looking to homeschool somewhat Waldorf style. Anyone interested?

Be well! Eileen
#16 of 77 Old 01-14-2009, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamainthepines View Post
Hi, Moms. We live in Tabernacle..do you know where that is??

I have been trying for quite some time to connect with some crunchy moms, so this is exciting!! I am a teacher, now at home, with my 2.5 DD Lydia, and 14 year old DD, Aubrey, (in school). I would love to get together and will make the drive (probably 30-40 minutes for me). You are also welcome to come here and play. In the near future, I would like bring together moms who might be looking to homeschool somewhat Waldorf style. Anyone interested?

Be well! Eileen
Hi Eileen - I had to look that up on the map I hope you'll come to Holistic Moms - it looks like you'll be closer to the West Jersey chapter than to the Tri-County chapter in Pitman.

I'm also interested in Waldorf a little bit, though in my recent research unschooling is taking over my interest!! I recently met a mom on this board who does Waldorf-inspired homeschooling, which sounds very cool. I know another mom who does Waldorf homeschooling - I hear she might come to the West Jersey Holistic Moms, too. I can put you in touch with either if you like... but just wanted to chime in and say that sounds interesting to me!
#17 of 77 Old 01-14-2009, 03:52 PM

HI. Yes. I am going to try to make to the HMN and would love the connections. Way to go starting a new chapter! This may sound like a silly question, but do moms bring their little ones to these meetings?
#18 of 77 Old 01-14-2009, 03:57 PM

Hurray! I'm always excited to find a mom who's interested - I think this could be a really lovely community...

Anyway, YES - children are ALWAYS welcome. People tend to to whatever works for them, so at the meetings (for Tri-County, anyway) there are usually nurslings and independently-playing older kids; some toddler moms like me opt to leave the toddler home with papa for the evening or whatever (my son would never make it through a whole meeting), but children are ALWAYS welcome.
#19 of 77 Old 01-14-2009, 08:36 PM

Hi everyone,
I'm so excited to find this thread! I came to this area hoping to find moms in the area to connect with. I just had my second dc October 25 and we have been having some serious cabin fever here. I would love to have playdates for dd who is 2.5, and I could really use some mom time. I am also so happy about the new branch of Holistic Moms starting soon. Pitman was just too far of a drive for us. I would also be happy to host playtime at our house here in Mount Holly.

Wife to Joe and Mama to Rosie, 6/28/06, Jack, 10/25/08 and JoJo 3/18/10.
#20 of 77 Old 01-14-2009, 09:31 PM

I'm so excited I can attend in Pitman! Collingswood is a little to far from me and being new to the area, I didn't know what would be available to us. We were fortunate to live in a somewhat crunchy area before we moved here, I'm still feeling this area out.
#21 of 77 Old 01-15-2009, 10:12 AM

[
#22 of 77 Old 01-15-2009, 10:25 AM

Ok..I don't know what I did ( I am still new at this) but I think I accidently started a new thread. Sorry for the confusion...mommy brain!?!?!?

Let's all try to get together! Mt. Holly might be a great middle point to meet. Lyida would love to play with other children her age, and I am looking forward to meeting some moms! Is there still interest?
#23 of 77 Old 01-15-2009, 12:40 PM

I would love to host the first get together. Could everyone do a Friday?

#24 of 77 Old 01-15-2009, 03:48 PM

Fridays work for us! We'll bring a healthy snack to share. Thanks for offering your home!
#25 of 77 Old 01-15-2009, 04:11 PM

That's 30+ minutes for us, but we could try it - I'm getting a car tomorrow so it will actual be physically possible for us. Fridays are fine for me. My son naps sometime around 12 or 1, so... before or after nap
#26 of 77 Old 01-15-2009, 05:04 PM - Thread Starter

Wow! This thread exploded! How cool. A Friday could definitely work...and we have a volunteer host for the first playdate! Sounds like there are a bunch of 2.5-3 year olds around....
How about next Friday? That would be January 23rd. We could come in the morning or in the later afternoon after the nap (probably around 4-ish?). I am looking forward to meeting some crunchy moms and Jordan will be happy about the playdate.

Miriam
#27 of 77 Old 01-15-2009, 09:50 PM

Friday the 23rd works for us. The mornings are best, maybe around 10:00ish? I'll pm you all our address when the littleone goes to sleep!

#28 of 77 Old 01-16-2009, 12:24 AM

Sounds great. Mornings are better for us. Looking forward to meeting everyone!
#29 of 77 Old 01-16-2009, 09:35 AM

Wow, this is exciting! Mt Holly isn't too far from us, we'd love to come.
#30 of 77 Old 01-16-2009, 03:27 PM

Well, nifty! We will definitely try to come!

(You all know, no promises with toddlers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page