Looking for Chicken pox in PA -- will drive to you - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-02-2009, 09:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I really want to expose my 3 year old to chicken pox. I will drive to upstate NY, anywhere in PA, NJ, Delaware, MD and Virgina ... even OH... to get them. I'd appreciate someone clue-ing me in on any pox parties in your area.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2009, 09:26 PM - Thread Starter

subscribing
Old 01-03-2009, 10:59 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Let's carpool!

Homeschoolin' Mama chicken3.gifto Dd1 2/3/00, Dd2 1/13/03, Ds1 3/11/06 & Ds2 11/18/10!!
Old 01-04-2009, 12:23 AM - Thread Starter

You bet, but we've gotta find 'em!!!

Anybody, anybody...Buehler?
Old 01-04-2009, 12:33 AM

I think we'd be interested too. Daycare is going to require it but we've not been approached yet...
Old 01-05-2009, 11:46 PM

Subbing

Homeschoolin' Mama chicken3.gifto Dd1 2/3/00, Dd2 1/13/03, Ds1 3/11/06 & Ds2 11/18/10!!
Old 01-14-2009, 01:53 AM

Trying not to lose this thread...we're getting into pox season!

Old 01-15-2009, 01:59 AM - Thread Starter

Bump
Old 01-15-2009, 11:46 PM

Also interested in the pox!
Old 01-19-2009, 01:18 AM

We would also be interested for our almost 5 yr old and almost 3 yr old. Too bad people can't mail us each a c.pox lollipop from somewhere....or can they?
Anyway, we are in central NJ and would travel pretty far too.
-Jennifer
Old 01-20-2009, 11:41 AM

I'm not sure if my 11 yo had the pox twine he had something suspicious I knew where the first four had them if was unmistakable. and now I have a 1 yo so I'd travel. but I thought Pox season was in early summer late spring. What have you heard?
Valerie Monterrey CPM
Old 01-22-2009, 05:27 PM

Also interested!
Old 02-17-2009, 03:00 AM

This is amazing, is no one is getting chicken pox anymore or what?

Circ doesn't work! Stop the violence of circumcison. Had another UP/UC/HB in August!
Old 02-17-2009, 03:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tammyswanson View Post
This is amazing, is no one is getting chicken pox anymore or what?
Haven't you heard - there's a vaccine for that now!

Sara caffix.gif, Keith 2whistle.gif, Toby 6/08superhero.gif, Nomi 4/10blahblah.gif, Mona 1/12 hammer.gif

Mama of three, lover, student rabbi, spoonie, friend, musician, narcoleptic, space muffin, pretty much a dragon. Crunchy like matzoh.

Old 02-17-2009, 12:00 PM

There has been a TON of pox here - kinda funny that I was looking so far & it's now everywhere here. It started out at the Kimberton Waldorf School & has spread from there.

We swapped lollis 2.5 wks ago & again yesterday. I can't speak for others, but if/when my kids get them, I'll post. I'm in SE PA, 1/2 hr west of Philly.

Old 02-17-2009, 02:54 PM

I am losing my job due to ds being repeatedly sick So he may as well get the chicken pox over with while i am out of work. We are in Reading.....will getting it at 14 months provide immunity?

Very blessed mama to one bouncin' boy bouncy.gif (12/07) one angel3.gif who didn't get to stay (6/09), one potty learning, mess making divaenergy.gif(4/10), and one cheerful milk monster. aabfwoman.gif (12/11) Happy partner to the love of my lifedp_malesling.GIF.  

Old 02-17-2009, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waiting2bemommy View Post
I am losing my job due to ds being repeatedly sick So he may as well get the chicken pox over with while i am out of work. We are in Reading.....will getting it at 14 months provide immunity?
How awful! Any work prospects?

AFAIK, getting it at any age provides immunity.

Sara caffix.gif, Keith 2whistle.gif, Toby 6/08superhero.gif, Nomi 4/10blahblah.gif, Mona 1/12 hammer.gif

Mama of three, lover, student rabbi, spoonie, friend, musician, narcoleptic, space muffin, pretty much a dragon. Crunchy like matzoh.

Old 02-17-2009, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smeisnotapirate View Post
How awful! Any work prospects?

AFAIK, getting it at any age provides immunity.
I'm opening a home based preschool program, which has always been my dream. I figured I may as well "make lemonade" out of the situation. I'm advertising aggressively because we really can't afford even one week without a paycheck.

Very blessed mama to one bouncin' boy bouncy.gif (12/07) one angel3.gif who didn't get to stay (6/09), one potty learning, mess making divaenergy.gif(4/10), and one cheerful milk monster. aabfwoman.gif (12/11) Happy partner to the love of my lifedp_malesling.GIF.  

Old 02-17-2009, 06:14 PM

Metasequoia--are there still active cases down there? I'm 3 hours away but my parents live nearby, so I could make a visit of it. We could drive down tomorrow...thanks!
Old 02-17-2009, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waiting2bemommy View Post
I'm opening a home based preschool program, which has always been my dream. I figured I may as well "make lemonade" out of the situation. I'm advertising aggressively because we really can't afford even one week without a paycheck.
That sounds like a wonderful idea! I'm glad things have enabled you to pursue your dream, however bad the situation leading up may be.

Old 03-01-2009, 01:31 PM

I am desparte to have my 3 year old contract the chicken pox. I live in Philadelphia.
I am willing to drive anywhere, and i mean anywhere. I would head up to Maine if necessary.
Old 03-01-2009, 08:54 PM

subscribing to this as well. I'm in NEPA and my older three were vaxed against this but the third one got it anyway :. But my younger two (age 6 and almost three) have not been exposed and I don't vax anymore so I want them to get chicken pox.

Homebirth Midwifing mama to five blessings in Northeastern PA.
Old 03-01-2009, 11:00 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FORCED ANARCHY View Post
I am in upstate NY and looking for a pox exposure, I have had one recent indirect exposure but so far nothing. I did not have them as a child, have no immunity because I have had titers drawn and I am looking to get them so that I don't end up with them when I am like 60, and because I am doing an anti vaccine documentary which this fits in with perfectly---I plan to show the so called childhood things in all age groups. Anyone reading this, if you get pox, I can compensate you for your troubles, also if you are traveling to upstate NY for an exposure, or from upstate to PA, NYC or some place like that for an exposure I am willing to help on travel cost if I can tag along.
sorry slightly OT, but aren't you a little worried about exposing yourself as an adult of any age? Its a dilemma, to me. I am in the same boat, never had them, and want to eventually expose my children when my new baby is at least a toddler...but this is the exception I was trying to become comfortable with as far as vaccination. For myself. I soooo wish I had CP as a kid. I really don't want to get it as an adult, and as a mother trying to care for her children, yk? But I also hate the other option of getting the vaccine. Ugh. I know I could get a version of it from that, or still contract it when the kids get it, too. I know all that, and I still think that is what I'd do. I can't imagine exposing myself to it knowing it is so dangerous as an adult. I know two adults who have gotten it - one a teenager, and one in her early twenties...and from what they both said, it was absolutely awful, excrutiating, and one thought she barely escaped death...And for the record, I am not a FEAR person, normally...but after hearing that she had pox in her throat, her eyes and vagina...so badly she could barely swallow down broth for days and couldn't see, and lived in a bathtub for almost a week while (luckily) her mother was around to completely care for her - I really got worried about contracting it and decided this would be the one vaccine I will get, and my children will get before puberty, if they don't naturally contract it by then.
But, I'd love to hear what your own thoughts are if you don't mind sharing...

Already!?!?! cold.gif  ~ Lori, doula, childbirth educator, wife to Jermaine 6/04, and mom to two happy and energetic boys - Tatum 6/06 and Keegan 3/09

Old 03-01-2009, 11:18 PM

We are in NJ looking to expose 5 yo dd. Come out, CP, come out
Old 03-01-2009, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2tatum View Post
sorry slightly OT, but aren't you a little worried about exposing yourself as an adult of any age?
I am not worried, I know the risk, but I know those are offset by me taking such good care of myself. I welcome CP and any of the childhood diseases not only for my documentary, but also because having them will boost the natural immune function of the human body.
Old 03-01-2009, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenmidwife2b View Post
subscribing to this as well. I'm in NEPA and my older three were vaxed against this but the third one got it anyway :. But my younger two (age 6 and almost three) have not been exposed and I don't vax anymore so I want them to get chicken pox.
I would expose the older ones who have not had it as well because the pox vaccine is an absolute failure at giving life long protection. Re exposing the one who has had it should boost their immunity as well.
Old 03-02-2009, 12:51 AM

subbing. I'm in Philadelphia and would drive up to an hour.

We could have a chicken pox chain, all the way from Ohio to Atlantic City...
Old 03-02-2009, 01:09 AM

I am interested...is 8 months too young to expose them? I think the 3 year old would be fine...

Amy, mommy to Ava, 6, Gavin, 4, Lila, 2, and Baby #4 due in early November! joy.gif
Old 03-03-2009, 02:32 PM

Subbing & jumping up & down, waving my arms - we'd love to get some CP here, too! I'm in central PA and could/would drive anywhere in PA up to maybe 3-4 hours to get 'em

Wife to one amazing man, unschooly mama to 2 boys daily (8/99 and 6/06), mom to 4 boys (6/94 and 2/00) and countless exchange students, praying to someday homebirth a daughter...
Old 03-05-2009, 10:27 AM

Anyone found the pox yet?

User Tag List