New York Mandatory Vaccination for School? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 01-05-2009, 10:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Ok, I'm hoping some of you mamas can help me with this. DD is starting at a montessori school (today). They want her vaccination records, of course... apparently they have to follow state health department regs?

DD is currently up-to-date on all her vaccinations up to a year, except for the MMR/cp. She'll be 3 in a week, and we'll have her 3 year well child visit (I go mostly to check her weight ). I'm not at ALL interested in her having the chicken pox vaccine, I'd be ok with MMR as long as they're done separately.... Man, it's difficult being a selective/delayed vaxer. Oh, another twist - DS has only been vaxed for HIB, we were hoping to wait til he was 2 to start vaxing him for other stuff... slowly. Would that preclude the "religious exemption"?

Anyway... now I'm not sure what to do. We had been intending to home school and just sort of do things when/if we felt like it. I think this montessori school will be good for DD but I don't want to load her down with chemicals if I don't have to...

So, I guess here's my question - what vaccines are REALLY required and which are just offered but not required (the flu vax?). How long can I get away with putting it off? Is it possible to put my foot down and say "I'm ok with XYand Z vaccine, but we're absolutely not doing A, B, or C"? If you were a selective vaxer, what would you do?

Thanks, in advance!

Jenna ~ mommy to Sophia Elise idea.gif  (1/06), Oliver Matthew  blahblah.gif (7/07) and Avery Michael fly-by-nursing1.gif(3/10)

dizzy.gif Wading slowly and nervously into this homeschooling thing.

#2 of 16 Old 01-05-2009, 01:21 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Here are the school requirements for NYS

Note that CP is required for pre-kindergarten. If you're going to claim a religious exemption, it's all or nothing. You must be opposed to the practice of vaccination, period.

Quote:
How long can I get away with putting it off? Is it possible to put my foot down and say "I'm ok with XYand Z vaccine, but we're absolutely not doing A, B, or C"?
That is considered philosophical exemption and therefore it is disallowed in NYS.

Every baptized Christian is, or should be, someone with an actual (disturbing) experience, ... a close encounter, with God; someone who, as a result, becomes a disturbing presence to others. - Fr. Anthony J. Gittins, A Presence That Disturbs
#3 of 16 Old 01-05-2009, 01:26 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
If you want to avoid the chickenpox vaccine, then your best bet is to get a religious exemption for all vaccines and not give them any vaccine records. If you are planning to give her the MMR and varicella, it's good enough if she doesnt' have them now but you have the dates she's scheduled to get them.

Unless it's a religious school, they're required by law to accept religious exemptions.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18, and Jack, 12
#4 of 16 Old 01-05-2009, 01:46 PM - Thread Starter

*sigh* but isn't she automatically on the vaccine registry? I.e. wouln't just not telling them not work?

Jenna ~ mommy to Sophia Elise idea.gif  (1/06), Oliver Matthew  blahblah.gif (7/07) and Avery Michael fly-by-nursing1.gif(3/10)

#5 of 16 Old 01-05-2009, 06:21 PM

Yes, she's in the registry but if you are willing to stop vaccinating now, you can claim a "change" in your religious beliefs.

Every baptized Christian is, or should be, someone with an actual (disturbing) experience, ... a close encounter, with God; someone who, as a result, becomes a disturbing presence to others. - Fr. Anthony J. Gittins, A Presence That Disturbs
#6 of 16 Old 01-05-2009, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthla View Post
If you are planning to give her the MMR and varicella, it's good enough if she doesnt' have them now
Actually, both are required for pre-K/daycare/nursery/Head Start/etc.

#7 of 16 Old 01-05-2009, 06:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by spero View Post
Yes, she's in the registry but if you are willing to stop vaccinating now, you can claim a "change" in your religious beliefs.
Yeah, there's the hitch. I still want my son to get a few of them. I feel like I'm putting ds SOL because I think that some vaccinations are good. But if I choose to vaccinate him, then I'm putting DD SOL because I'll be giving her vaccines that I don't think are appropriate/acceptable/whatever. Either way, I'm doing a disservice to one of my kids : We had planned to homeschool before, so it wasn't really an issue, so we were just waiting to vax him partially after he turned 2 (this summer)

DH thinks we should just do the religious exemption and not tell them if we get more. But that feels a little too illegal for my comfort zone... or something?

#8 of 16 Old 01-05-2009, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juvysen View Post
DH thinks we should just do the religious exemption and not tell them if we get more. But that feels a little too illegal for my comfort zone... or something?
That'll work as long as they aren't cross-checking the vaccine registry.

#9 of 16 Old 01-05-2009, 11:59 PM

Another option is to just give the records along with your doctor's note that you are vaccinating your child on a schedule that he/she has approved. For a montessori pre-school, this will likely do the trick.

Megan Davidson, Labor & Postpartum Doula, Breastfeeding Counselor, Anthropologist, Mom to August (9) and Clay (4), Partner to Shawn.

#10 of 16 Old 01-06-2009, 01:02 PM

I've heard that if you want to pick and choose which vaccines to give your child, you need to go to a clinic to get the ones you want. That way, your name (and your child's) won't be on any list. And you can declare religious reasons for not vaccinating.
One of my doula friends suggested this to me.

SAHM of one Little Bub 12-10-2007 and Partner to one Big Bub

#11 of 16 Old 01-06-2009, 04:03 PM

I think the clinic would have to be out of state for this to work, if at all. They have to record all the vaccines given in NYS and they go into a state registry so no matter where the vax was given, there is a clear record of it in NYS.

Megan Davidson, Labor & Postpartum Doula, Breastfeeding Counselor, Anthropologist, Mom to August (9) and Clay (4), Partner to Shawn.

#12 of 16 Old 01-06-2009, 04:06 PM - Thread Starter

I was thinking we'd have to go out-of-state, too, but then with all the talk of creating a nation-wide medical records system, I'm not sure even that would work. :-/

#13 of 16 Old 04-09-2009, 04:03 PM

I just found out that the public school that we are zoned to is amazing and on top of that, it is Pre-K through 8th grade!

The only problem is that we are a delayed and selective vaccine family and I'm so confused about what to do. We still have time sine DD is only 15 months old but the decisions we make now could have consequences later if we decide to try the religious exemption route...

Hoping there are others in similar situations with somewhat positive outcomes.
#14 of 16 Old 04-09-2009, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorkone View Post
I just found out that the public school that we are zoned to is amazing and on top of that, it is Pre-K through 8th grade!

The only problem is that we are a delayed and selective vaccine family and I'm so confused about what to do. We still have time sine DD is only 15 months old but the decisions we make now could have consequences later if we decide to try the religious exemption route...

Hoping there are others in similar situations with somewhat positive outcomes.
Unfortunately, NY is a tough state in which to be a selective/delayed vaxer, unless you plan to homeschool.

#15 of 16 Old 04-10-2009, 12:01 AM

So, I've done this selective and delayed with both kids. One is in public Pre-K and homeschooling next year. She attended preschool last year. One starts preschool next year.

So... you need an exemption. There's only one, and it's to all vaccinations. You cannot claim an exemption to some but not all vaxes. Private preschools aren't required to accept exemptions, FYI, but many will. Public schools (Pre-K and up) are required to accept them.

Preschool--we've been to two, and one had us submit religious exemption. They've been concerned about their paperwork being up to date for the Dept. of Health, who comes and checks their records. They don't really care if we've done some but not all, they don't care what the reasoning is, they just care that the paperwork is in correctly to CYA. This means--fully filled out and complete vaxes OR religious exemption. They aren't going to go cross checking the vax registry. I don't image the DOH is going to go cross checking either. They're checking for paperwork compliance. The other we were up to date enough by then to file it regularly.

Public School--This is where they may check the vax registry if you submit a religious exemption. Pre-K requires HiB. Kindergarten does not. Requirements are Hep B, Polio, DTaP, MMR, second dose of Measles-containing OR titer check showing immunity, Chicken Pox OR titer check showing immunity. You do NOT need flu, rotavirus, HiB, Prevnar. Some schools are very used to religious exemptions though, and I suspect those won't check the registry or "go after you" over it.

So, with 2 kids, I don't worry about the preschool level. I do the exemption and go on happily. I'll do the same for DS as I did for DDs. When we get to the public school stage, I made sure we were up to date enough for entrance. It's something to think about early though. I started plotting it out when she was a baby for which vaxes when, gave priority to things needed for school versus things not needed for school, made sure DD caught chickenpox, etc. Even though we'll be homeschooling next year and hopefully beyond, I'd rather have them up to date enough throughout because places like summer camp want the same info, and I don't know what they would do with an exemption. I bet they don't have to accept them, and like some preschools, probably don't.

Happy with my DH, 2 kids, dog, fish, and frogs
#16 of 16 Old 04-10-2009, 03:31 PM

Spin off question: We live in NY and select/delay vax, but our ped is located in NJ. Does that mean that DS's vax records can't be accessed in NY?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page