delivering at Good Sam in Suffern? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-05-2010, 04:10 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Joanne, the other midwife in the practice delivered my baby 1.5 years ago at Hudson Valley. I also live in Orange, and yes it was a treck, but the hospital is AMAZING! I labored in a hot tub the whole time. Joanne was great, great, great. I love her and Sue so much. I still go their practice and plan to have more babies with their practice at Hudson Valley. THe nurses at the hospital are also amazing and they are who you'll spend lots of time with anyway. Best of luck!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2010, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphysaangel View Post
UPDATE!

So I had my consult with Sue Cavanaugh of Hudson Valley OB/GYN and I was THRILLED with her and the practice. She and the rest of the staff (2 OB's and 1 other midwife) are very pro-VBAC and treat them like any other birth. She recommended I tour the hospital which I wasn't able to do today, but she guaranteed that the nurses and entire staff are also VBAC friendly and very natural-birth oriented. She said I could labor and even birth in the tub if I want. She also told me that I'd have a great chance at a VBAC since I got up to 8 cm (the other place just said it was "so-so" because of the FTP diagnosis I'd gotten at the hospital - though they never read my records!) which collaborates with what my HB mnidwife had originally said. Anyway, I really liked her and just kinda "gelled" if ya know what I mean! The ONLY thing I wasn't super thrilled with is that her practice will not allow anyone to go over 41 weeks. The other practice it was 42, then they automatically section you. With Sue and HVOBGYN, they induce at 41 weeks, but she said Pitocin would be the LAST resort and we'd try all natural methods 1st, then stripping membranes, then AROM, then pitocin. It does concern me because I was 41 weeks + 4 days with my son and it'll be likely I go past my edd with this one too. She did take a look at her handy pregnancy calendar-thingy and said we could stretch my EDD from 9/1 to 9/3 to give me a few extra days. And who knows, maybe my next u/s will give me a few more. She seemed really willing to do whatever possible to avoid induction, but it isn't something she can control, yk? I'll be visiting the hospital within the next few weeks but I'm pretty sure this is the place for me!
That is great!
Im so glad they are going to let you have a vbac at Good Sam.
DO you know how that practice deals with vba2c?
I couldnt find anyone and am stuck going over an hour away which freaks me out to be that far from my kids.
I was happy at Good Sam, besides the fact that I had 2 c/s. but that was the dr. fault not the hosp. staff.
Old 03-05-2010, 09:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by miriamh912 View Post
Joanne, the other midwife in the practice delivered my baby 1.5 years ago at Hudson Valley. I also live in Orange, and yes it was a treck, but the hospital is AMAZING! I labored in a hot tub the whole time. Joanne was great, great, great. I love her and Sue so much. I still go their practice and plan to have more babies with their practice at Hudson Valley. THe nurses at the hospital are also amazing and they are who you'll spend lots of time with anyway. Best of luck!!!
K I'll update here since I went ahead and delivered at HVH and I ended up with another section
BUT...my experience was decent. DURING labor I felt that the mw could have been more involved. One of the OB's was on call (Mahon, who I really thought had a horrible attitude toward my VBAC in general and did NOT want to attend my labor) so I requested Sue...she said she would attend, but then didn't show up for 9 HOURS later, and then only popped in a few times and only checked me once. I hired a doula (who's a hb midwife - Jessica Lawlor in NJ) so she was with me the whole time and was awesome. My c-section was inevitable - lil' Joey did NOT want to descend and after 24 hours of 2-min contrax he hadn't dropped at all. So I think we (if not THEY) did everything to avoid it, and although it didn't happen I was impressed that the majority of the time I was laboring they really left me alone to do what I wished - almost to a fault. I had to be hooked up to a monitor most of the time too, and they let me walk around and stuff, no problem. I was excited to try the tub but never got to - we didn't want to risk slowing things down.

Post-partum, the hospital is FANTASTIC!!!! I can't express that enough. They truly want your baby to be with you after he/she is born. They truly want you to sucessflly bf - but they also give you ample time to bond with your baby. I felt that EVERY nurse was kind and gentle and supportive of my "ap" style mommying. No one ever tried to take the baby away besides for the hearing test, and they did that in the middle of the night. I could have come with him but by that time I was intuitively comfortable with the staff. They even OFFERED to bathe him (not demanded) - after a day or so, and also said there was "no need to give him a bath right away because he came out so clean"!

If you're in the vicinity I highly recommend HVH. But, I would check out Hudson RIVER ob/gyn first, instead of hudson valley obgyn. They seemed awesome, and they stay with you 100% of the time of your labor. I wish they'd been in my insurance or I would have gone with them.

hope that helps

Meghan

*Meghan* - Mom to Sam (5/14/08) and Joseph Scott born 9/10/09! and wife to amazing hubby Mike : ! WE LOVE OUR : FAMILY!
Old 01-02-2013, 02:09 PM

It is late but congratulations on your little boy and thank you for the update. It is very helpful!

User Tag List