delivering at Good Sam in Suffern? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 34 Old 01-24-2009, 05:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
hiya. I'm going to be trying a VBAC after an attempted home birth 9 months ago. I am using a great hospital-based midwife this time but I'm really nervous about delivering at Good Sam because I haven't heard great things about the birth center there. I am worried that I'm going into this with the deck stacked against me and I'll just end up with another c-sec. is there anything anyone can tell me about the hospital, nurses and whatever that can help me? Unfortunately there's not much choice up by where I am in Orange County and I'll be traveling 1/2 hour to Good Sam as it is. Any info would help. Thanks!

*Meghan* - Mom to Sam (5/14/08) and Joseph Scott born 9/10/09! and wife to amazing hubby Mike : ! WE LOVE OUR : FAMILY!
#2 of 34 Old 01-24-2009, 05:42 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Do you have a doula? If not, that may help you since they know different things you can do to help labor along & help you deal.

The other rec I see often here is wait as long as you can to go to the hospital. You didn't say why you had a sec the first time, but staying home is one way to avoid the cascade of interventions.

Good luck!
Sus

Baby the babies while they're babies so they don't need babying for a lifetime.
#3 of 34 Old 01-30-2009, 10:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama24-7 View Post
Do you have a doula? If not, that may help you since they know different things you can do to help labor along & help you deal.

The other rec I see often here is wait as long as you can to go to the hospital. You didn't say why you had a sec the first time, but staying home is one way to avoid the cascade of interventions.

Good luck!
Sus
thanks, but I am more looking for people's experiences at this particular hospital. I am definitely going to do everything I can on my part to be successful. Also, I have heard you can't be guaranteed a private room???

*Meghan* - Mom to Sam (5/14/08) and Joseph Scott born 9/10/09! and wife to amazing hubby Mike : ! WE LOVE OUR : FAMILY!
#4 of 34 Old 01-31-2009, 11:55 PM

Has your midwife delivered there? What does she have to say about it? It might also be a good idea to schedule a tour. You could ask about the rooms, and get a general feeling for the nurses (often a nurse will give the tour).
#5 of 34 Old 02-22-2009, 01:09 AM - Thread Starter

*bump!*
hoping for a reply...anyone with experience at Good Sam???? Please!

#6 of 34 Old 02-23-2009, 11:34 AM

I have't delivered at Good Sam. I had my first at Nyack and my second at home. From what I hear, people prefer Nyack of Good Sam, and Good Sam just isn't great... I had specific examples relayed to me, but can't for the life of me remember them.

As for the private room thing, at Nyack you go into a room first, with one other person, where they assess your situation and decide if they are admitting you or not. When the do admit you, you get your own delivery room. I think this is pretty standard, I have never heard of two laboring/delivering women being in the same room. Then after that, no, you aren't guaranteed a private room. You could be roomed with one other woman and child, which to me just seems so weird. Two new moms, two new babies, two completely different schedules, two families trying to adapt, two new dads - more than likely sleeping in the room as well... over crowded if you ask me.

Sorry to be "debbie downer", like I said, I don't know if GS is like that, I only know Nyack. This reason, on top of a million others, were reasons I went with a homebirth.

Good luck to you and your vbac, I know you can do it!!
#7 of 34 Old 02-23-2009, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kates779 View Post
two new dads - more than likely sleeping in the room as well... over crowded if you ask me.
Most hospitals will not allow dads to sleep in a semi-private room. If you end up in one, dad will almost certainly have to go home overnight. That's part of the reason so many hospitals are trying to phase out semi-privates on Maternity.
#8 of 34 Old 02-23-2009, 06:57 PM

Hi there. I can't speak first-hand, but a friend of mine had a great experience at Good Sam this fall.

She had a planned ceserean (first birth) due to a wacky breech position and other medical complications. They waited for her to go into labor, though, and she had a great experience overall. The doc--who came in on her day off for the birth--talked to my friend about VBAC right away. She loved her midwife. I know she felt great about the whole experience and looks forward to a VBAC there someday.

So it's not all gloom and doom!
#9 of 34 Old 02-24-2009, 12:48 AM - Thread Starter

yeah, I keep thinking about the semi-private room thing, and I'm so not looking forward to that. Especially trying to bf new baby (when you totally shouldn't be concerned with modesty) and the woman next to me has sketchy Uncle Johnny there visiting, peeking through the curtains...? Nice. Not to mention (I'm not sure if this is true with vaginal birth but it certainly was with my c-sec) all the "TMI" stuff that happens, say, when you start walking around and your pad is leaking?

Well I did get to unload a bunch of questions on my midwife today, and she said that I might get a semi-private for "recovery" before they transfer us into the post-partum room, but that you DO eventually end up in a private room. Probably. They've just been super over-full lately. They just build the damn place a few years ago, you'd think they would have added on a few (dozen) extra rooms to accomodate. Oh well.

And thanks, Chamsia for adding a few positive notes!

#10 of 34 Old 02-24-2009, 09:51 AM

Good luck, murphysangel. And you know, provided you're feeling well enough, you can always check out early!
#11 of 34 Old 02-24-2009, 10:27 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
I can't speak as to Good Sam. I have not heard too much about it. I can vouce for a decent (although not great!) experience at Nyack, though. The first time I delivered at Nyack, they were very respectful of my birth plan, etc. I used a team of mid-wives and there was always one of the mid-wives on call at Nyack so I was more or less guaranteed the mid-wife delivery. The second time there were intense, life-threatening complications after the delivery but in general I still felt fairly well supported in my choices (bf, etc.). Maybe Nyack Hospital would be a better option for you based on some of the responses you are getting? It really isn't much further along the Thruway than Suffern.
#12 of 34 Old 02-25-2009, 01:31 AM - Thread Starter

Unfortunately I had a bad experience at Nyack Hospital (totally unrelated) once so I'm not super confident there. I'm trying to deal with having to go to Good Sam but I am also considering Phelps in White Plains and Hudson Valley Hospital. Much farther, unfortunately, but it might be necessary. I've met 2x with the midwives who deliver at Good Sam and I'm not super impressed. I know I've been spoiled with an amazing hb midwife but I really didn't think that I'd be THIS disappointed in a hospital-based midwifery practice. I'll have to seek a few others before I make any type of decisions. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, as far as good experiences with other midwives in the area (Orange/Rockland/Westchester/NWNJ).

#13 of 34 Old 02-26-2009, 09:18 AM

i have heard some good things about hudson valley hospital

labor & postpartum doula, mom to sky & ben
#14 of 34 Old 02-26-2009, 10:56 AM

Several friends of mine have birthed at HVH, including vaginal, cesarean, and a VBAC, and I've heard no bad reports. My friend who did VBAC there had a wonderful experience. She even got special permission and was able to eat some of her placenta to avoid PPD.
#15 of 34 Old 02-26-2009, 11:37 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
hey there I called Good Sam yesterday and spoke to a maternity consultant. She told me that the hospital was very vbac friendly. She said that it had to be cleared as "ok" by an OB. She said even if you're vbac, it is not necessarily continuous fetal monitoring. That it depends on your doctor's orders. But, that if you do have to have it, that you are still able to use the squatting bar, and ball. She said all the post partum rooms are private and dads/partners can room in. I'm going to schedule a tour and see. Good luck!!!
#16 of 34 Old 02-26-2009, 03:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rclaz View Post
hey there I called Good Sam yesterday and spoke to a maternity consultant. She told me that the hospital was very vbac friendly. She said that it had to be cleared as "ok" by an OB. She said even if you're vbac, it is not necessarily continuous fetal monitoring. That it depends on your doctor's orders. But, that if you do have to have it, that you are still able to use the squatting bar, and ball. She said all the post partum rooms are private and dads/partners can room in. I'm going to schedule a tour and see. Good luck!!!
Yes, let me know what you found out. My friend did a tour last month and they were told that you aren't "guaranteed" a private room because it can get busy. My current midwives told me that you might be placed in a semi-private recovery room, but after that you *should* be getting a private room. She also said that they would do intermittent fetal monitoring, you don't have to get continual. I was actually a bit reassured, but like I said I am having a not-so-great experience with the midwifery practice. I just called to request my medical records and because I said I was looking at other practices they were kind of giving me a hard time. I have a feeling I'll have to push back my appoinment with HVOB/GYN because they're not exactly going to rush getting all 2 pages of my records to me.

If you are interested in going with a OB/GYN, not a midwife, my hb midwife from my last pregnancy told me that Laurie Solomon is VBAC friendly and she delivers out of Good Sam.

tc
Meghan

#17 of 34 Old 02-26-2009, 10:42 PM

Hi Meghan,
I found a midwife, Olive Crone, who delivers at Good Sam. My doula told me about her. She is partnered with an OB, Dr. Tennenbaum. There is no guarantee that you'll get one or the other. But, I think that if the OB and midwife are partnered, it's highly likely they share the same philosophy on birth. I'm not sure, of course, so I have an appt there too. I think I'd like to make one at HVH too. Do you know if there is a specific midwifery practice that births there? I have my tour of Good Sam next friday. I will let you know what I find out!!
R
#18 of 34 Old 02-27-2009, 01:45 AM - Thread Starter

Hi Rebecca

Yes, the midwifery practice is HV OB/GYN which has 2 midwives and 2 OB's, with the same sort of "you get who you get" philosophy. I think any hospital birth would be with some sort of dual ob-midwife practice. I have MY appointment with them on Tuesday, so I will let YOU know how THAT goes ;-)
I hope to tour the hospital there too but it will have to be a different day. I forgot to ask where you had your c-section with #1?
I have heard good things about Olive Crone, not sure where, possibly on this forum. Hopefully we'll find what we're each looking for! TC
Meghan

#19 of 34 Old 02-27-2009, 07:25 PM

Hi,
I had my c/s at Hackensack. As far as c/s goes, it went fine. I had a complete placenta previa with my daughter, so there really weren't options. I tried visualization, etc. The placenta moved some, but not enough. Anyhow, I ended up with a high risk OB, due to the PP. The surgery went beautifully, and they really did make efforts to make it special for us. They called my husband over as soon as she was born, wrapped her and he brought her over to me. My arms were down, but not tied down. I was able to move the one to touch her. As soon as I was sewn up, she was on me and we went to recovery and a nurse was right there helping me breast feed. When they wheeled me to the Post Partum room, DH went with DD to nursery for the weight, measurement, etc. They were back in the room with me in no time and we weren't separated again. The nurses were very supportive, friendly, etc. I healed beautifully, with no issues at all. Plus, as far as hospitals go, it's really done nice. It was practically like staying in a nice hotel. DH roomed in. I don't, however, think they are VBAC friendly. I'm pretty sure no midwives either. I'm not 100%, but I recall my OB telling me to come back to him when I had #2, unless I wanted VBAC.

Yes, good vibes to us both in finding what we're looking for!!
#20 of 34 Old 03-03-2009, 07:27 PM - Thread Starter

UPDATE!

So I had my consult with Sue Cavanaugh of Hudson Valley OB/GYN and I was THRILLED with her and the practice. She and the rest of the staff (2 OB's and 1 other midwife) are very pro-VBAC and treat them like any other birth. She recommended I tour the hospital which I wasn't able to do today, but she guaranteed that the nurses and entire staff are also VBAC friendly and very natural-birth oriented. She said I could labor and even birth in the tub if I want. She also told me that I'd have a great chance at a VBAC since I got up to 8 cm (the other place just said it was "so-so" because of the FTP diagnosis I'd gotten at the hospital - though they never read my records!) which collaborates with what my HB mnidwife had originally said. Anyway, I really liked her and just kinda "gelled" if ya know what I mean! The ONLY thing I wasn't super thrilled with is that her practice will not allow anyone to go over 41 weeks. The other practice it was 42, then they automatically section you. With Sue and HVOBGYN, they induce at 41 weeks, but she said Pitocin would be the LAST resort and we'd try all natural methods 1st, then stripping membranes, then AROM, then pitocin. It does concern me because I was 41 weeks + 4 days with my son and it'll be likely I go past my edd with this one too. She did take a look at her handy pregnancy calendar-thingy and said we could stretch my EDD from 9/1 to 9/3 to give me a few extra days. And who knows, maybe my next u/s will give me a few more. She seemed really willing to do whatever possible to avoid induction, but it isn't something she can control, yk? I'll be visiting the hospital within the next few weeks but I'm pretty sure this is the place for me!

#21 of 34 Old 03-04-2009, 10:31 PM

how wonderful!! Congratulations!!! Sounds like it is a good fit for you
#22 of 34 Old 03-06-2009, 03:22 PM

hey there,
I just visited Good Sam today. If you still want my thoughts on it, I'd be happy to post. But, it sounds like you've got yourself all set up?
Rebecca
#23 of 34 Old 03-06-2009, 06:21 PM - Thread Starter

well i think I'm set, but I'd love to hear your thoughts anyway ...;-)

#24 of 34 Old 03-06-2009, 06:56 PM

well, I liked it. It did feel like a hospital. Although they made a lot of efforts to make it look cozy and friendly. Hardwood floors in the birthing rooms, and such. Decorated nicely. Babies never leave your side, unless you want them too. All testing done bedside. Lots of lacatation support. All private post partum rooms with an exception. There are a few of them that "can" be doubled up if they have lots of moms. As long as they remain private, dads can room in. infant security system in place. It seemed like they were open to a lot, while maintaining being a hospital. If that makes sense. If I already had an OB who births there, and I went to go visit, I wouldn't change. Does that make sense?
#25 of 34 Old 03-06-2009, 09:44 PM - Thread Starter

Yes, it makes perfect sense! I am taking a tour of HVH next week so I'll let you know my thoughts with them, but I liked what I've read there and got from the midwife I saw whol delivers there already. They've got the same hands-off, pro-natural birthing philosophy but they have birthing tubs (and they apparently don't treat VBAC's any different so I'd be able to deliver in it if I choose), no IV or constant monitoring, comfy private rooms, a VBAC class in-house, dads and sibs welcome to room in. I think my LO is too little to be a "candidate" for staying but I really wouldn't want him to anyway. They also apparently provide snacks for dads in the evening and a continental breakfast too. It sounds like I'd want to stay extra long!

If I'd had a better experience at Tallman OB/GYN I'd have stuck with Good Sam but I am happy with my choice now that I have explored other options. I also have the added stress of possibly giving birth on or around Labor Day weekend, so I'm nervous about city vacation traffic! That's when the Thruway turns into a parking lot, and all the side streets aren't much better. So going over Bear Mtn. bridge to HVH will be MUCH easier, even if it's a little farther, because it's not going to have even remotely as much city traffic. I couldn't think of anything worse than being stuck on the side of the highway about to give birth on the hood of someone's chevy!

I'm glad though that you were happy w/ Good Sam. Did you meet with Olive yet?

#26 of 34 Old 02-06-2010, 12:02 PM

I know the original poster's question was answered long ago, but I'm posting in case anyone searches for info on Good Sam, Tallman, etc.
I gave birth at Good Samaritan in Suffern in October 2009, with midwives Lynnea Carstens and Sandra Heller from Tallman OB/GYN. My experience was mixed.
If anyone wants info on my experience with the midwives, please PM me, I'd be happy to share more information privately.

As for Good Sam, the staff was friendly, the hospital rooms themselves were very nice. However, they have practices which made my son's birth and the start of breastfeeding very upsetting. I had pregnancy induced hypertension, which got worse during labor, so I had to be on continuous fetal monitoring, absolutely still in the bed. I was required to get an epidural I didn't want. Eventually after about 24 hours, he had turned posterior and asynclitic (after having been anterior for weeks and weeks!) and I stopped progressing, his heartbeat started decellerating, and my bp went through the roof. I had a c-section.
My temperature went one tenth of a degree above their "line" during labor, which meant they determined I was at risk for infection. So, he was taken from me. I saw him in recovery for 5 minutes, but was not allowed to touch him. I next saw him 6 hours later when (at last!) they wheeled me into the NICU. I pulled off my top and his, and we snuggled skin-to-skin and he latched right on. Oh Bliss!!! After a day of horrible stuff, this was so good. The next morning I was not permitted to see him until noon, nearly 12 hours after the last time I saw him. I kept asking when I would be allowed to get up, but the nurses were too busy to help me up and in to see him. A NICU nurse came to tell me that she had given him 20cc of formula, against my express verbal and written wishes. I was devastated. Note that he had to go to the NICU ONLY because my temp had been elevated -- he was 100% perfectly healthy! No one asked me before this feeding, or informed me that it was necessary, they simply told me after the damage was done.
I had asked for a breastpump while still in recovery at 5PM, and did not receive one until noon the next day. I asked repeatedly for the pump and assistance from the lactation consultant, but did not receive it for hours, and not until they had filled my precious boy's belly with formula.
I asked after this that they STOP giving him any formula whatsoever, but they continued to feed him formula, sometimes right before I was set to shuffle back to the NICU to feed him myself. This really impacted my milk coming in, because he was full and sleepy by the time I got to him.

In general, the staff at Good Sam was friendly, and tried to be helpful, but I did NOT have a good experience with them as far as breastfeeding is concerned. It took us weeks to get back on track.

I will not give birth at Good Sam again.

Spiralshell -- Mama to David Nathaniel, born October 2009. And so you see I have come to doubt all that I once held as true. I stand alone without belief, the only truth I know is you.
#27 of 34 Old 02-06-2010, 10:45 PM

I had both of my babies at Good Sam 5 and 7 yrs ago. I was using Tallman Obgyn at the time and will NEVER recommend them. As far as the hosp goes I have no complaints at all. The room, nurses, lactation staff were all excellent. the babies never left my side and I felt as comfortable as you can feel in a hosp environment.
I wanted to deliver there again with a new dr. or midwife but unfortunately I had 2 c/s because of Tallman and I couldnt find a dr or midwife in Orange, or ROckland that would let me do a vba2 so Im stuck going all the way to Hackensack.
#28 of 34 Old 02-08-2010, 06:41 PM

Mom2Happy, I am surprised to hear that Hackensack has an OB willing to try VBA2C. Would you mind sharing the name of the Dr. or practice?
Hackensack's official caesarean rate is at 50% (!) - and the four moms I know who went there all had 1st time c/s - so I always assumed they were not VBAC or mother-baby friendly. But I would love to be wrong, and to find out that there was an exception on staff, or that they were changing their ways. Its a local hospital to me and so many moms in my area want to go there to get the best NICU.
#29 of 34 Old 02-12-2010, 10:36 PM

I do not have any experience with Good Sam personally as I delivered both my boys at St. Anthony's in Warwick. However, I work in Rockland and out of the 9 colleagues that have had babies there, 8 had c/s...one medically necessary as she knew going it...mom had a spinal issue, one was a breech and the rest were told their labors were too long...my one friend was in labor 12 hours...I think they are quick to do c/s and I ruled them out when I looked into them and thank God b/c they never would have let me go to the 58 hours that it took to deliver my 1st son.

I have 3 friends that delivered at Valley hospital in Jersey. They rave about the hospital and the doctors/midwives associated with it. I wish I had known about them before my 1st as it is as far for me to drive to Warwick as it is to drive to Ridgewood (40 min) from Central Valley area. I have been to the hospital with my son for a pediatric sleep study and the place is really nice and I really liked the pediatric nurses. I'm not sure where in OC you are, but it may be worth checking out.

I will add that GS has great Lactation Consultants...my LC was a labor/delivery nurse there who has now started her own doula practice

Mama to Jack (12/7/06) & Liam (4/3/08) & Iris Hope (10/6/10)
#30 of 34 Old 02-14-2010, 12:34 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
My littlest sister (9) I (20) were born in Good Sam. My mother loved it there. She did it through the actual hospital with her OB/GYN though. Totally naturally--her ob was awesome about that. Mom didn't like Nyack with my other sister (17) but I've had 2 friends give birth that without a problem...then again, they were into the "drug me, get it over with" mindset. I can't offer too much help at all but I wanted to wish you good luck.

You guys really don't like Tallman? Lynnea was my midwife for a year or two but she transfered me downstairs to Dr. Passano becuase she couldn't help me anymore. I've only seen her once but my mother loves her and she was very nice to me.

Then again, I've only been in for routine things/help for my very painful period. They could be totally different in with L&D. *shrugs*

Kris: "auntie" to W (7yrs)  and Z (5yrs)

→Waiting to start my own little family←

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page