Rochester area moms?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 62 Old 02-06-2009, 04:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Helllllloooooo out there! I'm not giving up yet! Are there any other Rochester moms out there? Do you know of any playgroups or meetups or *ANYTHING* to do with a babe around the 5-6month age range? I feel like I'm the only one around here with a kid, and I am lonely! We don't have to end up being best friends or whatnot, but could somebody, anybody, get back to me and say hi...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 62 Old 02-06-2009, 09:19 PM

There is an AP yahoo group.

I'm out towards Canandaigua and Victor more than Rochester so I haven't really gotten involved with it.

S-d D which made them three. M grew lonely, and now there's baby D.
"Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?"
#3 of 62 Old 02-08-2009, 12:06 PM - Thread Starter

do you have a link for the ap yahoo group?

thanks!
#4 of 62 Old 02-10-2009, 08:53 PM

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/aprochester/

#5 of 62 Old 02-11-2009, 10:28 AM

Spencerport mama here. What did you have in mind? I work full time but am always looking for something to do with my boys on the weekends. Do you work?
#6 of 62 Old 02-11-2009, 02:47 PM - Thread Starter

Barbie64g- i am a SAHM, which i love except that it gets a little lonely sometimes(hence my post). what kinds of things do you get up to on the weekends in spencerport?
#7 of 62 Old 02-12-2009, 09:16 AM

HAHHA, lately, not much. lol. I am NOT a winter person. WE do have canal days here in the summer, plus the firemans carnaval. Every saturday night starting in the spring they have bands perform at the Firemans field on the canal. I havent had a chance to check it out yet, but plan to now that I am finally not pregnant anymore. My two boys are still pretty small, but i think they would enjoy something like that. Also in the summer, there is a park I like to go to called Pineway, they have water aparatuses that are fun for the kids. Its free, so thats nice. In the winter there is North Hampton Park for sledding, but my kids are to small for that still. We otherwise stay pretty busy in doors, or atleast try to. We havent had a bout of snowy, yet NOT frigidly cold weather where I can take my older one outside. Which is a bummer since he LOVES stomping in the snow. What area of Rochester are you in?
#8 of 62 Old 02-12-2009, 09:58 AM - Thread Starter

we're near the public market, so not the best neighborhood, not the worst. We enjoy getting out to the market on saturdays, and we go to the parks and walk(highland, ellison, etc). Strangely enough, my boy's favorite thing seems to be going to wegmans. I think he likes all the lights and colors and stuff, and since he's still little enough to ride in the sling(5mo), it's fun for me, too. How old are your boys?
#9 of 62 Old 02-12-2009, 10:58 AM

My boys are 16 1/2 months and 2 1/2 months. I am still trying to balance EBF the little one and making sure the older one gets all the attention he needs from ME. He already gets plenty from Dada. Its def time to start getting out and doing things. The grocery store is to hard right now because the weather is so nasty. its not easy getting them both out of the car without making them be in the cold or snow or rain to long. I hate living here in the winter. In my next life I will marry for money so that I can move my kids to where its warmer in the winter. hehe
#10 of 62 Old 02-12-2009, 01:04 PM

I know there's 2 very active Holistic Moms groups in Rochester.
#11 of 62 Old 02-12-2009, 03:13 PM

what if you aren't very holistic? I mean I am in certain aspects, but not all that crunchy.
#12 of 62 Old 02-13-2009, 10:48 AM - Thread Starter

xmysticprincessx--- do you know how to get in touch with the holistic mamas groups? website/phone #/email?? I don't know how holistic I am, but I'm pretty crunchy-granola these days, and I'd like to get in touch with them. TIA.
#13 of 62 Old 02-18-2009, 04:18 AM

I'm in the area too.

Someone posted this for the Holistic group. Looks like there are two, the sister group is listed on the blog too. I haven't lived here very long but I'll have to try a meeting some day.

*formerly apecaut*, Mom to A, Calliope (stillborn 40 weeks 6/22/07), A and O
#14 of 62 Old 02-19-2009, 10:15 AM

I thought we had lost this thread.

So I am not very holistic, but not mainstream either. ANyone else in the Rochester area fit that profile?
#15 of 62 Old 02-19-2009, 12:15 PM

Barbie, there's lots of people on AP Roch who aren't really "crunchy" - unfortunately they're usually the less vocal ones so you don't often get that vibe from the group. There's people like you out there though!!

I'm Jean and I'm in a little town east of Rochester. I don't get to events much because of all the kids, but we do do a lot in Webster (storytime, gym, etc).

Bean : Mama to DSs and (& :, 4 goats & 7 ) and two fraternal twin BOYS 9-19-09 (+ 1 daytime boy)
#16 of 62 Old 02-26-2009, 12:13 AM

I just wanted to stop in and say hi! I'm expecting my first next month, and live right in the city. I'm not active with the AP Rochester or Holistic Moms groups, but I do go to the home birth circle meetings (as I'm planning a home birth) and love meeting other moms! I'm a younger grad student and don't have any mommy friends in the area. It might be a few weeks before baby is here, and then I probably won't want to go out immediately, but keep me in mind if you get lonely and want someone to hang out with! I don't work (just grad school), so I often have time on my hands as well

Jennie, mama to Wyatt (3/25/09) and Emma (11/22/10) novaxnocirc.gifhomebirth.jpg
#17 of 62 Old 03-01-2009, 01:00 PM - Thread Starter

YayJennie-

How do you like the homebirth circle meetings? I had a homebirth(with Meg and Sara who I ) but haven't come to any of the meetings because i wasn't sure I'd fit in or be welcome to bring my kiddo.... any sense of what the crowd is like there? Do people bring their babies? feel free to reply on this thread or PM me.., I'm excited to meet another local homebirther!
#18 of 62 Old 03-04-2009, 08:24 PM

I also had a home birth with Meg and Sarah! My boy is 5 1/2 wks old and I would LOVE to meet up with other moms! I'm not working for a while so I have quite a few afternoons open. I live in the South Wedge. Hope to hear from you!
#19 of 62 Old 03-04-2009, 08:38 PM

HI! I live in the village of Newark - which is about 30 minute drive east of Rochester

Nice to see some local area peeps on MDC!

~Kris mama to Alexis (15), Elizabeth (10), Andrew (7), and 1 angel
#20 of 62 Old 03-04-2009, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinklefeet View Post
YayJennie-

How do you like the homebirth circle meetings? I had a homebirth(with Meg and Sara who I ) but haven't come to any of the meetings because i wasn't sure I'd fit in or be welcome to bring my kiddo.... any sense of what the crowd is like there? Do people bring their babies? feel free to reply on this thread or PM me.., I'm excited to meet another local homebirther!
I had a homebirth with Meg almost 3 years ago. I went to homebirth circle while it was still at a private house a few times. Kids were welcome. I haven't been since it moved to Meg's new office so I can't speak to that environment. Sadly Meg won't come out to my area anymore.

Bean : Mama to DSs and (& :, 4 goats & 7 ) and two fraternal twin BOYS 9-19-09 (+ 1 daytime boy)
#21 of 62 Old 03-05-2009, 01:29 PM - Thread Starter

I knew you guys were out there! Thanks everybody for replying to this post, I'm so pleased that I'm not the only mom in this city... i was starting to feel like I was!
So is anyone else as psyched up for spring as i am??? I think i saw a robin today, and i'm jazzed to get the dogs out for some walks... what are your plans for welcoming spring?
#22 of 62 Old 03-05-2009, 02:57 PM

i kno w- i lve seeing grass - evne if it's hard as a rock frozen - I'll take it!

I found directions on making a pop bottle terrarium.. i think we'll have to make some soon

~Kris mama to Alexis (15), Elizabeth (10), Andrew (7), and 1 angel
#23 of 62 Old 03-17-2009, 09:06 AM - Thread Starter

okay, roch-mamas... here's another question for y'all:

Anybody have a favorite restaurant/cafe that seems to be fairly baby/child friendly?

:
#24 of 62 Old 03-22-2009, 12:03 AM

Hello! I'm new to mothering.com and I'm kind of exploring what all there is here. I am moving to the Rochester area in a few months with my husband and son. I am looking for any recommendations for a good midwife who will support a VBAC. Also, is there a birthing center around there, or just a hospital? I glanced at the Rochester General Hospital's website and it looks fine. I'm just not eager to have doctors giving me a hard time about a "trial of labor" and whatnot. My sister-in-law already lives in Walworth with her three children. I'm just not sure I want the same doctors she had...

Thanks!

Mom to: My Little Man, born 5/2008, My Sweet Girl, born 3/2010, and a new baby coming in 3/2012!

#25 of 62 Old 03-22-2009, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMarshall View Post
Hello! I'm new to mothering.com and I'm kind of exploring what all there is here. I am moving to the Rochester area in a few months with my husband and son. I am looking for any recommendations for a good midwife who will support a VBAC. Also, is there a birthing center around there, or just a hospital? I glanced at the Rochester General Hospital's website and it looks fine. I'm just not eager to have doctors giving me a hard time about a "trial of labor" and whatnot. My sister-in-law already lives in Walworth with her three children. I'm just not sure I want the same doctors she had...

Thanks!
I was getting my hair done yesterday and I swear she mentioned something about a BC behind RGH (rochester general). I know there is the strong midwifery group that delivers at highland hospital. I'm 45 minutes out of the area so I used Thompson hospital. The nurses were really nice and supportive, but I don't like one of the doctor's at all, and he happens to be mine. There is one or two home birth midwives in the area if you're interested in that.

Again, the link to the aprochester group on the first page in this thread has resources for midwives.

#26 of 62 Old 03-22-2009, 05:12 PM

Cool. Thanks. I'll check out that link for the ap group (although I'm not really into AP) and get some more ideas. I'm just so determined to have a VBAC!

Oh, and even though I don't live there yet, when we were visiting in December we ate at Red Robin with my sister-in-law and her three children, and they seemed very family-friendly. The chicken salad was very good, too!

Mom to: My Little Man, born 5/2008, My Sweet Girl, born 3/2010, and a new baby coming in 3/2012!

#27 of 62 Old 03-23-2009, 12:19 PM

I grew up in the roch area (victor/fishers). My sis still lives there and she has a 2yr old little girl, I'll ask her what sort of baby friendly things there are to do around there. She may even know of some play groups.
#28 of 62 Old 03-23-2009, 05:18 PM

Hi everyone. I'm on the AP list and was a client of Meg's when we had our first child Quinn, born on March 4. We were planning a home waterbirth, but ended up at Strong because our post-dates ultrasound was inaccurately interpreted. Had a beautiful birth, though, and our son is incredible!

I'm a SAHM in Brighton, looking for a playgroup to join on the east side. I'm willing to host at my house, would love the company, but I also think it'd be fun to maybe meet out at a coffee house, the zoo, etc..

Thanks,
Mariah

Mama to Quinn (3/09) and partner to James. Expecting #2 and planning a
#29 of 62 Old 03-23-2009, 08:16 PM

http://rochester.kidsoutandabout.com/

Just thought I'd pass this along in here.

#30 of 62 Old 03-24-2009, 07:48 PM

Not a Rochester mom yet, but moving there this summer (from Arizona - I just got a job at RIT

Don't want to hijack the thread, but I would love to hear any info about the area, places to live, etc...

Callie, mom to Nora (12/7/05)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page