Birth Circle Lancaster - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 109 Old 02-11-2009, 01:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm doing a little, uh, "market" research. I am trying to form a birth circle in the Lancaster, PA area. I have some good prospects for free meeting spaces in the city with parking. I have started a yahoo group (which says we will meet monthly.) Now, I just have to figure out when a good time for a monthly meeting would be and get folks there!
Any thoughts on a time or interest in a birth circle?
Melinda

UPDATE
August meeting
Hi Ladies,
The September meeting of Birth Circle Lancaster will Tuesday
September 14
from 7-9PM
at James Street Mennonite Church
323 W. James Street
Lancaster, PA 17603.

Park in the rear and come to the back door with a door bell.

I hope to see you there!
Melinda
#2 of 109 Old 02-11-2009, 12:19 PM

Hi Melinda!

We met one time before at the babywearing group.

I would be interested in joining a birth circle.

Tiffany
#3 of 109 Old 02-12-2009, 02:42 PM

I'm interested. I'm in Reading though...
#4 of 109 Old 02-18-2009, 03:18 PM - Thread Starter

Hi again, ladies. I am still awaiting approval for meeting space, but I'd like to meet first Tuesdays from 7-9pm beginning in March. I'll keep you posted on the location and time. Hope to see you there!
Melinda
#5 of 109 Old 02-18-2009, 05:29 PM

I am totally on board with the idea! I just moved here recently and I used to lead a birth circle in Maryland!

feel free to contact me if you need/want any help with anything =) I miss it a lot! (I'm in richland, but I don't mind driving if it's worth it!)

(seriously I'm so excited about the idea of a BC in the area. I told my husband if one wasn't started by summer i was going to have to start one myself)

transtichel.gifMom of three - (2.5 yrs, 7yrs, and 11yrs). Birthing Doula, editor, and wife to my soulmate. I've had a c/s, hospital VBAC, UC and not yet decided what I'll do about this next little one

#6 of 109 Old 02-18-2009, 06:10 PM

What kinds of things are you planning for your Birth Circle?

I co-direct a non-profit birth network in the Reading area and would be happy to help with getting info out. We can put it up on our website. It's very hard to find motivated people who can put in the time and energy over the long term to make changes! We have been going for about 4 years, are fully 501c3, have hosted nurse ins at the local mall, spoken with nurses at the hospitals about birth support, attended local midwifery conferences, been on several local TV interviews, hosted the Celebrate Birth Festival three years in a row and more. We also have a working agreement with St. Joe's Hospital to provide birth education and were working on a doula program, when things kindof fell apart with time and energy.

Where we are now is just plain tired...and trying to just enjoy life more simply. So the BN is on hold for now, waiting for some other eager mamas to handle more of it. I know that you are thinking of the Lancaster area, but we would be happy to help out with things. For ex, we have a copy and screening rights to Orgasmic Birth and had plans to screen it in several areas. At this point, everyone is too consumed with family that it isn't going to happen. I would love to see it shown in Lancaster and or York, as well as Reading. We also have a great working relationship with Birth Without Boundaries in Harrisburg, but I am not sure that they are really active right now either, for the same reasons (and more.)

Here is the website address, if you want to check it out. You'll notice that the site is NOT updated as of last year's Birth Festival. Our webmistress homeschools and also had a baby. Well... my point exactly. No one seems to have time! Please let me know if you are interested. We also have the Business of Being Born!

www.motheringandmore.org
#7 of 109 Old 02-18-2009, 06:14 PM

:

transtichel.gifMom of three - (2.5 yrs, 7yrs, and 11yrs). Birthing Doula, editor, and wife to my soulmate. I've had a c/s, hospital VBAC, UC and not yet decided what I'll do about this next little one

#8 of 109 Old 02-18-2009, 10:22 PM

What's a birth circle?

That being said, our synagogue doesn't have things planned for first Tuesdays. If you need a meeting space. We're in downtown Lancaster, on Duke Street.

Sara caffix.gif, Keith 2whistle.gif, Toby 6/08superhero.gif, Nomi 4/10blahblah.gif, Mona 1/12 hammer.gif

Mama of three, lover, student rabbi, spoonie, friend, musician, narcoleptic, space muffin, pretty much a dragon. Crunchy like matzoh.

#9 of 109 Old 02-18-2009, 11:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HennyPenny View Post
I am totally on board with the idea! I just moved here recently and I used to lead a birth circle in Maryland!

feel free to contact me if you need/want any help with anything =) I miss it a lot! (I'm in richland, but I don't mind driving if it's worth it!)

(seriously I'm so excited about the idea of a BC in the area. I told my husband if one wasn't started by summer i was going to have to start one myself)
HennyPenny, I would love to have some help. I'm just not sure what I need help with yet. I was part of a wonderful birth circle in Charlottesville, VA (hosted by Birth Matters). I miss it, and I think it was a very important part of the birth community there. That's why I'm starting this one. Please feel free to jump in anywhere you see fit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipmamato4 View Post
What kinds of things are you planning for your Birth Circle?

I co-direct a non-profit birth network in the Reading area and would be happy to help with getting info out. We can put it up on our website.
Hipmamato4, wow! I just had a look-see at the Mothering and More site. Y'all were certainly busy. As I mentioned above, I was part of the Birth Matters Charlottesville bc. The birth circle drew a lot of people in - often ladies who didn't even know they were questioning things yet. Birth Matters VA had a lot of resources for women to question and learn. In addition to the bc's, the C'ville chapter hosted meet the midwives, comfort measures, and birth video nights. It's great to know about your group; maybe we could teem up and get the fire lit again. We are new to the area, and I have yet to "feel" the birth community here. It would be great if you could help us get the word out. Today I talked to the lady at the church where I have requested meeting space, and she is still waiting on the final word from one of the pastors. She thinks she will be able to let me know soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smeisnotapirate View Post
What's a birth circle?

That being said, our synagogue doesn't have things planned for first Tuesdays. If you need a meeting space. We're in downtown Lancaster, on Duke Street.
Smeisnotapirate, a birth circle is a group that gets together to discuss birth. The birth circle I was part of was run a lot like a LLL meeting; the discussion was mother-to-mother with people sharing from their own experiences. There were usually 5-15 women including pregnant women, ladies who were recently PP and were returning to share their birth stories and new wisdom, midwives, doulas, and a few random birth junkies. After introductions, we usually started with new birth stories. Generally, discussions spun-off from there, but on the quieter nights, sometimes the leader would have to ask for questions. It was a place for people to learn about the birth resources in the area (doulas, acupuncturists, midwives, OBs, where to get birth pools, massage therapists, and the like) and for other informal networking.
I think I have a location in place, but just in case it falls through, could you tell me a little about your synagogue? Specifically, would there be parking?

I hope to see you all at the first meeting. I think it is important to tell our stories, and I look forward to hearing yours. Please let me know if there is anything you think we need to do and anything you would like to add.
Melinda
#10 of 109 Old 02-19-2009, 12:51 AM

The synagogue rocks - we have a school attached, so we have classrooms, loungey type rooms, and a large and small social hall. Here's our website: Shaarai Shomayim

Parking is on-street, but not a problem in the evenings. We're directly across from the Hospital (Lancaster General) so everything is well-lit and well-patrolled.

Sara caffix.gif, Keith 2whistle.gif, Toby 6/08superhero.gif, Nomi 4/10blahblah.gif, Mona 1/12 hammer.gif

Mama of three, lover, student rabbi, spoonie, friend, musician, narcoleptic, space muffin, pretty much a dragon. Crunchy like matzoh.

#11 of 109 Old 02-19-2009, 02:06 PM

I am interested in attending! i am a doula from lancaster.

Sahm mom to three lovely girls, and happily married to a great, sweet guy
#12 of 109 Old 02-21-2009, 12:10 AM

Hi all!

I would love to be a part of this! I'd never heard of a birth circle before, but now that I have I am LOVING the idea! As I was preparing for the homebirth of my first child (she was born in August), I devoured other women's birth stories. Most of them involved hospital births with interventions; I had very few natural birth stories to draw from. This would have been so empowering! Just hearing that this might start up makes me want to run out and get pregnant again (not really - I'm just that excited)

Let me know if you need any help with anything!

Lynn

Me read.gif, Kenny REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, Liv blahblah.gif, Evie baby.gif, & brokenheart.gif
#13 of 109 Old 02-21-2009, 12:22 AM

possum,

I spoke to our President today. She's very excited about letting us use the space. What was the church going to charge you? We want to be competitive.

#14 of 109 Old 02-21-2009, 12:32 PM

Melinda,

As far as the "feel" of the local birth community--I think that was one of our frustrations. Of course, I am in Reading and this is SUCH a conservative area in terms of birth (and open mindedness). As a doula, almost all of my business comes outside of the Reading area. I've done lots of birth at Women and Babies, York, Pottstown, Allentown--everywhere around Reading. Honestly, it always surprises me when someone is interested in birth support and is also from Reading. Almost everyone births at Reading Hospital--95% epidural rate (not unlike anywhere else probably), but the community here, in general, is not very open. Even with homeschooling. I was with an awesome hs group in Lancaster before and I've been here 10 years and only know a very select group of hs'ers who mostly happen to hb, cloth diaper, and be LLL leaders or CBEs.

Anyway, I think that Lancaster is different and hope that you have good success. We tried a similar thing here, but it just couldn't get off the ground. It was called a postpartum "chat" group and was done like LLL meeting with revolving topics each month: "Birth stories", "Help! Baby's here, now what?", "Changing Relationships", and "Keeping Joy in Motherhood." I LOVED leading this group, but we never were able to get more than 3 people there at one time. And some months no one came. You might also try to form a good rapport with the managers at Babies R US. Our local store was awesome the first two years. They really promoted what we were doing and helped out financially with the Birth Festival. (the 1st year we had over 50 vendors) They will also allow you to set up a table for free during their monthly promotional days. Management changed after the first two years and the new manager wasn't quite as helpful (but was still supportive).

Another great place to get listed for free is: Parent's Source magazine, Central Penn Parent and About Families. I think that they all have a section with support group types of things. There are a few TV stations that will list your events for free as well.

When you have details finalized, PM me and let me know what you want listed on our website. Time, date, location and a paragraph of description. Maybe before you meet the first time I could give you some brochures of the birth network to hand out so that people can see what resources we have listed: birth pool rentals and birth stool rentals and sales, as well as a resource page of local care providers and birth professionals.

I would love to come some time and meet everyone! I love your enthusiasm.
#15 of 109 Old 02-24-2009, 09:19 PM - Thread Starter

Hi everyone,
I have secured a location for the birth circle!

We will have our first meeting Tuesday, March 10 from 7-9 PM at James Street Mennonite Church (Lancaster) classroom LL21. I will post signs from the Main Entrance door.

Please feel free to pass along this invitation to other ladies who might be interested. I look forward to meeting you all very soon.

Melinda
#16 of 109 Old 02-25-2009, 12:08 AM

yea!!! i will be there for sure!!
(as long as I dont have this baby before then... I kepe threatening with preterm labour -ugh)

I am SO excited b/c I miss our birthing circle so very very much! I went from leading it to having nothing at all birthy to do since i moved here. (well aside from being pregnanct lol)

I mean this sincerely - if there is anything I can do to help out do let me know. I'm all about helping out! i love this kinda stuff.

#17 of 109 Old 02-25-2009, 12:26 AM

Oh no! I have a commitment until after 8 on Tuesday night!

Can I stop by for the last half hour?

#18 of 109 Old 02-25-2009, 01:28 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HennyPenny View Post
I mean this sincerely - if there is anything I can do to help out do let me know. I'm all about helping out! i love this kinda stuff.
Being there will be great! Bringing a friend would make it even better!

Quote:
Originally Posted by smeisnotapirate View Post
Oh no! I have a commitment until after 8 on Tuesday night!

Can I stop by for the last half hour?
Awe, bummer. You can absolutely stop by for whatever part of the meeting you can get to! They want us to leave the outside doors locked during the meeting, so I will leave a sign with my cell phone # on the door marked "main entrance."

Melinda
#19 of 109 Old 02-26-2009, 12:06 AM

You ladies have fun...the kids get ready for bed at about 7:30, so we can't interfere w/ that. Maybe some other time!

Tiffany
#20 of 109 Old 02-26-2009, 02:22 AM

Tiffany-

I LOVE your quote

oh that cracked me up!

#21 of 109 Old 03-05-2009, 03:46 PM - Thread Starter

Don't forget our first meeting Tuesday, March 10 from 7-9 PM at James Street Mennonite Church (Lancaster) classroom LL21. I will post signs from the Main Entrance door.

Feel free to send my any questions or suggestions now or at the meeting, and please be sure to bring along your ideas for what you want out birth circle to be.

Please feel free to pass along this invitation to other ladies who might be interested. I look forward to meeting you all very soon.

Melinda
#22 of 109 Old 03-09-2009, 05:49 PM - Thread Starter

Hope to see you there tomorrow night!
Melinda
#23 of 109 Old 03-10-2009, 05:50 PM

Melinda,

I am SO bummed but I don't know that I will be able to make it tonight!!! *sigh* our budget is so tight and through annoying circumstances it keeps getting tighter and I don't think I have enough left for gas money.

Please post here and let us know how the first meeting goes! I plan on being there next time. (I'm still going to try to work it out for tonight... but it just doesn't look possible right now... )

#24 of 109 Old 03-13-2009, 01:21 AM

How did it go? I'd love to come for the next one, and I have a non-mama friend I'd love to bring?

computergeek2.gif  wife to bikenew.gif and momma to my intact boys headscratch.gif 06/19/06 and mischievous.gif 10/10/08 We delayed/selective vax; constantly wash.gif  always intactlact.gif

Niemals Gewalt
#25 of 109 Old 03-13-2009, 09:22 AM - Thread Starter

I thought it went well. (The other ladies might want to respond for themselves???.) We had four mamas - three of us from MDC. We discussed a lot of organizational stuff, and decided - among other things - to do topical discussions with some prompts rather than completely open forum. We will meet again on April 14.
It would be great it if you could come to the next one and bring a friend!
I'll post more later - gotta go make breakfast.
Melinda
#26 of 109 Old 03-13-2009, 03:12 PM

I was there for the last half-hour or so. It was so nice! :

I think Melinda has started a good thing and would love to see it continue.

#27 of 109 Old 04-07-2009, 10:55 PM - Thread Starter

Hi Ladies,
The April meeting of Birth Circle Lancaster will be next Tuesday,
April 14
from 7-9PM
at James Street Mennonite Church
323 W. James Street
Lancaster, PA 17603.
Park in the rear and come to the back door with a door bell.
The topic will be Pregnancy, Birth, and Breastfeeding In the Media.
I hope to see you there, and feel free to bring a friend!
Melinda
#28 of 109 Old 04-07-2009, 11:01 PM

well... that is my "due date"... and I'm still pregnant... so I doubt i will make it. But I would LOVE to... we'll see.

(I can't drive right now, my sciatica is acting up badly. ugh.)

I'm so bummed!!! I wanted to come so badly. I will be there as soon as this baby allows it...

#29 of 109 Old 04-08-2009, 05:43 PM

I hope I can make it there. My mom is coming in on Monday night, so maybe I'll drag her with me. She's not a liberal birth-options kinda gal, so it might be good for her to see that I'm not the only "weirdo."

#30 of 109 Old 04-13-2009, 12:13 PM - Thread Starter

We'd love to have your mom too, Sara!
Laura, you are such a trooper! We'll see you whenever your little one decides to facilitate that. : to you for birthing when the time comes.
Hope to see some new faces tomorrow night too.
Melinda

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page