Midwife Recommendations in NYC? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-22-2009, 01:15 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm looking for a midwife in NYC who supports natural birth options even in a hospital setting. I'm leaning towards SLR and St. Vincent's. Anyone have any advice? I'm 23 weeks and need to make a decision fairly soon!

Also, has anyone worked with or heard anything about Beverly Woodard at Fruition Midwifery?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2009, 04:59 PM

I worked with Beverly for well woman care before I was pregnant. She was great. Straight forward, yet caring. I chose a home birth so I obviously had to find a midwife that did home births.

My advice for choosing a midwife is to think about what kind of a person you would want beside during a challenging, stressful, new situation (not to say your birth will be any/all of those, but it might be) I knew I needed someone who absolutely believed in me, would not indulge me in my own self-doubt and who I could trust with clinical issues implicitly.

Good luck and have a peaceful, transformational birth!

mom to DD and one on the way, wife since 1997 to a great guy

Old 02-22-2009, 07:32 PM

Yes! Sylvie Blaustein with Midwifery of Manhattan. She/the group is amazing! She was my midwife when i birthed by baby in the birthing center at roosevelt. She has tons of experience and you will love her. They also deliver on the labor floor if you decide against the borth center. By the way, I don't think the midwfe u mentioned has privelidges at st lukes/roosevelt (unless she started there within the past couple months). It is the best hospital for natural deliveries IMO. Good luck.
Old 02-25-2009, 12:12 AM

Sylvie delivered my son in 2003 and was wonderful! We ended up in the regular ward instead of the birthing center, but she was good and making the nurses leave me alone, given the level of intervention i ended up with.
Old 02-25-2009, 05:50 PM

cara muhlhahn has priviledges at st. vincent's. i had a homebirth with her and it was great!
but i second finding someone you click with is way more important. i needed someone who give me the straight sh!t if that's what i needed to hear. you know yourself best. good luck!

Liz, wife to John, mom to Dylan and my giant slug zocha :
Old 02-26-2009, 12:33 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I visited SLR. I was in a group of literally about 50-60 people. We had to take 3-4 elevators up, and see the rooms in 2 groups. I think if you're going to do the birthing center with a midwife, you'll probably like your experience quite a bit. I want as natural an experience as possible, but I'll have to be VBAC. I'm not all that crazy about all the rules surrounding that. The tour nurse told me I'd be confined to the bed with continuous fetal monitoring. That is not what my doc told me, but the nurses are the ones who are there with you before your doc is. So, that made me feel a bit weird. I also visited Midwifery of Manhattan, and didn't feel it was a good fit for me. Although they have an excellent reputation. The Midwife told me basically, I'd have to follow all the same rules as my OB told me. I asked her what the difference would be, and she told me I'd have a better shot at vaginal birth with a midwife. When I was leaving I asked if I had more questions, could I call. She said yes, quite hesitantly, but added I couldn't call with a ton of questions and overwhelm the receptionist. ?? She also repeated a ton of times during the appt how important it was that I trust them. She said it SO many times, I finally asked if they had an issues with their moms trusting them. She said, no, she was just stressing how important that was in the relationship. Anyhow, for me, it just didn't feel right. But, again, they have an excellent reputation. You might have a completely different experience. The birthing center looked great too!
Old 02-26-2009, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rclaz View Post
The tour nurse told me I'd be confined to the bed with continuous fetal monitoring. That is not what my doc told me, but the nurses are the ones who are there with you before your doc is. So, that made me feel a bit weird.
For whatever it is worth, I have attended several VBACs at SLR and unless the baby is showing signs of distress, moms can get up or be on all fours on the bed, walk around, squat AS LONG as the EFM stays on. I have helped hold the moniters in place for hours in order to give a mom mobility while on the EFM. Also, they don't moniter you while you pee, so frequents trips to the bathroom help

Megan Davidson, Labor & Postpartum Doula, Breastfeeding Counselor, Anthropologist, Mom to August (9) and Clay (4), Partner to Shawn.

Old 02-26-2009, 11:13 PM

I also recommend Midwifery of Manhattan. They attended my daughter's birth at the birthing center and I am back with the practice again for #2. However, it's very hard to get into their practice esp. at 23 weeks (they always have a waiting list). I have heard good things about CBS Midwifery and also Sandy Woods, CNM, who all deliver at SLR.
Good luck!

Mama to dd 12/05 and ds 7/09
Old 02-27-2009, 03:04 AM

My midwife was Tamara Belkin - she has privileges at SLR, and I like her a lot. Very straightforward and supportive. She works with Renuka Paka, MD.

Old 04-13-2009, 11:57 PM

Sorry to join this thread so late, but I just discovered that I am pregnant at 16 weeks and would ideally like to try giving birth at the St. Luke's Roosevelt birthing center but every midwife connected to the hospital except for Tamara Belkin is booked-up for September. Does anyone have any advice or additional insight into Tamara Belkin?
Old 04-14-2009, 11:55 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by emc03 View Post
cara muhlhahn has priviledges at st. vincent's. i had a homebirth with her and it was great!
Cara does not have hospital privileges.

DD 01/2007, DS 09/2011

Old 04-15-2009, 12:19 AM

Joan Bryson does homebirths and has privileges at St. Vincent's.

SAHM to DS Jan09, DD Mar11. lactivist.gifintactivist.giffamilybed2.gifhomebirth.jpguc.jpgwinner.jpggd.gifcaffix.gif

Old 10-29-2009, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26dana180 View Post
I'm looking for a midwife in NYC who supports natural birth options even in a hospital setting. I'm leaning towards SLR and St. Vincent's. Anyone have any advice? I'm 23 weeks and need to make a decision fairly soon!

Also, has anyone worked with or heard anything about Beverly Woodard at Fruition Midwifery?

Thanks!
Midwifery of Manhattan is wonderful. Roseanne delivered our daughter at the St Luke Roosevelt birthing center and we couldn't have asked for better care and TLC. i suffered a severe case of mastitis following the birth and Roseanne supported me through the entire infection, which entailed 4 days in the hospital and 14 days of home iv antibiotics. I can't recommend Midwifery of Manhattan, specifically Roseanne, enough. We will return to them for our second baby.
Old 11-24-2009, 01:09 AM

BUMP...this post has been sitting for a while.

I was wondering if anyone used any of the midwives at Beth Israel Medical Center?
Old 04-06-2010, 12:57 AM
EBS

Beverly Woodard, delivered my baby at Long Island College Hospital in Brooklyn.. She is wonderful.. definitely recommend her... i will go back to her with my 2nd child
Old 04-06-2010, 11:42 AM

Deleted

Last edited by mrscunning14; 07-26-2014 at 09:38 PM.
Old 04-07-2010, 12:46 AM

Tamara is amazing and I highly recommend her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweaterarms View Post
My midwife was Tamara Belkin - she has privileges at SLR, and I like her a lot. Very straightforward and supportive. She works with Renuka Paka, MD.

Old 04-07-2010, 02:10 AM

Tamara is amazing!

And Maureen is great also, although she must be moving hospitals at this point (perhaps to NY Downtown?).

Megan Davidson, Labor & Postpartum Doula, Breastfeeding Counselor, Anthropologist, Mom to August (9) and Clay (4), Partner to Shawn.

Old 04-09-2010, 06:46 PM

Deleted

Last edited by mrscunning14; 07-26-2014 at 09:38 PM.
Old 04-12-2010, 09:46 PM

Lenox Hill could use some midwives!

Old 06-03-2010, 11:14 PM

Deleted

Last edited by mrscunning14; 07-26-2014 at 09:37 PM.
Old 06-05-2010, 02:01 AM
Banned

I'm currently expecting my first child in January and just chose a midwife myself. I had three favorites out of all the different ones I looked into/interviewed: Stacey Rees of Clementine Midwifery, Joan Bryson of Community Midwifery, and Cara Muhlhahn.

Scheduling and some pre-existing conditions on my parts helped to inform my decision, but really it came down to who I felt most comfortable with. It's an individual choice, I think, but all three ladies were wonderful and I felt that if push came to shove (no pun intended) I could trust any of them.
Old 06-06-2010, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintedfire View Post
I'm currently expecting my first child in January and just chose a midwife myself. I had three favorites out of all the different ones I looked into/interviewed: Stacey Rees of Clementine Midwifery, Joan Bryson of Community Midwifery, and Cara Muhlhahn.
I have been worried because I read an article that said that the closing of St. Vincents had left most NYC midwives without backup and unable to practice "legally" (and I worried about this because I'm hoping to get pregnant this fall, then find a midwife and try for a homebirth). Did you run into anyone not taking on new clients because of that hospital closing?
Posted via Mobile Device

First child born March 2011.  Constantly in awe!
Old 06-19-2010, 11:34 PM

I haven't seen any of the midwives changing how they take clients. I think they are all continuing and hoping for positive changes soon.

Old 06-20-2010, 05:59 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuromancer View Post
I have been worried because I read an article that said that the closing of St. Vincents had left most NYC midwives without backup and unable to practice "legally" (and I worried about this because I'm hoping to get pregnant this fall, then find a midwife and try for a homebirth). Did you run into anyone not taking on new clients because of that hospital closing?
Posted via Mobile Device
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynDoula View Post
I haven't seen any of the midwives changing how they take clients. I think they are all continuing and hoping for positive changes soon.

None of the midwives that I talked to seemed to have problems with taking new clients. For me, the hard part was finding someone who was willing to take me with all of my health issues.
Old 06-27-2010, 09:46 AM

This is good news. Thanks for replying, paintedfire and BrooklynDoula.
Posted via Mobile Device

First child born March 2011.  Constantly in awe!
Old 06-27-2010, 09:08 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuromancer View Post
This is good news. Thanks for replying, paintedfire and BrooklynDoula.
Posted via Mobile Device
No problem.
Old 10-10-2010, 04:39 PM

Hey there. For what it's worth, I had a VBAC at SLR in 2007, and they did want to monitor me continuously but they didn't have a problem with me standing up or walking around, though admittedly I had to be near the bed because the wires only go so far. Could be it's a very nurse-dependent thing ...
Old 01-29-2011, 08:25 PM

Please note that the previous poster wrote that Tamara Belkin and Sabine Jeudy have "privileges".  This translates to, she did not experience a natural birth with them and most patients don't.  If you really want natural childbirth, look elsewhere, and better yet, avoid that hospital and forget the rosy picture they painted of the Birthing Center on the 12th floor, you likely won't see it.  

User Tag List