PA Homeschoolers! Legislation reform - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 33 Old 03-05-2009, 05:55 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by serenbat View Post

They (the school districts) could dictate WHO does the evaluation or they could say it must be done in-school. This real threat has been talked about among some evaluators.
That risk is unchanged by the current legislation. Changing the existing law as to evaluators requires drafting and introduction of such legislation. This bill doesn't have an impact on the role of evaluators so even an amendment in committee has little/no chance of reaching that far.

Quote:
I can't see this, at least not even in ten years time---majority rules, for the most part. HS numbers don't even come close to the public school population.
The opposing force is not the public school population - most of whom have no strong opinions about homeschoolers. The opposing force is teachers. And since these are not issues put to popular vote, numerical majority is irrelevant.

J.D. and mother to three. Sustainable Mothering and check out my Writing and Speaking
Follow me on Facebook and Twitter.
#32 of 33 Old 03-05-2009, 06:14 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Quote:
Maybe you could start another thread asking people to support mandatory statewide curriculum in public schools then? I was really confused at it being brought up in a homeschool law reform thread, and I think other people were as well.
I stated as I did this to compare savings cost. As so many have stated HB1273 is about saving money- could someone supply some figures? How much is this costing your districts? I can't find any numbers of this. The teachers that I have spoken to, that are also evaluators, tell me this really is a non issue, cost wise too. Perhaps it really effects only certain districts? I spoke to my local congressman's office and he is not supporting this because he doesn't see this an issue.

Quote:
They can't actually, because that would be against the law. As long as the evaluator meets the legal requirements, the school district has to accept it.
as with any thing, that can always be changed, I don't think is is out of the realm of thought

pro-transparency advocate

&

lurk.gif  PROUD member of the .3% club!

Want to join? Just ask me!

"You know, in my day we used to sit on our ass smoking Parliaments for nine months.

Today, you have one piece of Brie and everybody goes berserk."      ROTFLMAO.gif 

#33 of 33 Old 03-05-2009, 06:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
I stated as I did this to compare savings cost. As so many have stated HB1273 is about saving money- could someone supply some figures? How much is this costing your districts? I can't find any numbers of this. The teachers that I have spoken to, that are also evaluators, tell me this really is a non issue, cost wise too. Perhaps it really effects only certain districts? I spoke to my local congressman's office and he is not supporting this because he doesn't see this an issue.
If your district is not reviewing portfolios, it isn't costing them any money and a local congressperson would not have an issue. Tautology there, I think.

I doubt SDs make the cost information publicly available, even if they take the time to calculate it.

Personally, I doubt the cost savings argument is a strong one since HSers are such a huge cost savings overall for SDs.

Quote:
as with any thing, that can always be changed, I don't think is is out of the realm of thought
Regardless of whether the current bill is pending. So?

J.D. and mother to three. Sustainable Mothering and check out my Writing and Speaking
Follow me on Facebook and Twitter.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page