Mothering Forum banner

Homebirth Midwives Westchester County NY

6K views 14 replies 14 participants last post by  LibraSun 
#1 ·
hi all--
I am 22 weeks preg. and wondering if anyone would lead me to or recommend some good homebirth midwives that deliver in westchester county ny. i know there have been a lot of threads on here about that, but have mercy on a hormonal tired preggo lady and help her out!

Thanks, all!! Any personal stories or recs welcome, too!

See less See more
#3 ·
I've got some names off the top of my head, but no phone numbers

Martha Roth (I used her, and she's great, really relaxed and unobstrusive)

Connie Cokler (a friend used her and loved her)

(they're based out of Nyack, I'm pretty sure there are no actual homebirth midwives out of westchester, but they all travel)

hmm

Valerie someone, Maspeck? Mas- something? I found her too loopy on the phone, but I know others on the board liked her.

Some NYC midwives may travel, depending where in Westchester you are.

I'm sure if you call Full Circle in White Plains, Robin Bradley (a great midwife I've known 19 years and who delivered 2 out of my 3 kids- alas she doesn't do homebirths!) can give you names and numbers.

Congratulations!

#4 ·
There aren't actually any HBMW's in Westchester (yet! There are several in training) so currently mamas in Westchester either use NYC based or Rockland based MW's for HB.

I met with Martha Roth in Nyack, she seems very good, and I am using Anne Margolis (suffern), who is the one I ended up "clicking" with.

Interview several, because you will find it's a personal decision that depends on your personality. I thought based on phone conversations that I'd really hit it off with Martha, but in-person we just didn't mesh, while DH and I really liked Anne - which we wouldn't have predicted, but we're totally happy with our decision.

HTH.

#6 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by _betsy_ View Post
I had a hospital birth with my midwife, Lucy Milne, but I don't think she does homebirths.

Anyway, I just wanted to say HI! to a fellow Westchester Mama!
I delivered my son w. Lucy at WPHC, but when I told her about my HB plans for this pregnancy she was actually quite unsupportive. (and she's done HB's in Ireland!)

HB MW's and hospital MW's are VERY different!

#13 ·
Lucy provided my prenatal care in both pregnancies.

I ended up leaving New York to birth both my babies. An unhurried home birth was really important to me (seemed harder to create in NY, to me at the time). We did meet Anne Margolis, who seemed very on top of things and experienced, just didn't 'click' with her....

Yes, it seemed to me that to Lucy homebirth was a bit backward, it was the norm where she comes from and a hospital birth seems more sophisticated to her i guess.

IMHO, patience and spiritual trust, and respect in the natural process of birth, are things to look for in a midwife. I am sure Lucy can 'deliver' that (forgive the pun) in a hospital setting. She is also very experienced, and loving, and strong.

Also it seems worth a mention here that I found my midwives that ended up assisting in my deliveries in the last trimesters of my pregnancies and ended up developing an open and trusting relationship with them, allowing for relatively smooth births- so my advice is to remain open to finding someone/some place you resonate and feel safe with! : )

much love to you mommas birthing with midwives! <3

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.