Help! Need Recommendations for Doulas in NYC - Mothering Forums
New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania > Help! Need Recommendations for Doulas in NYC
babola123's Avatar babola123 05:03 PM 03-27-2009
Hello all! I'm giving birth in August, and I'm looking for some recommendations for a great doula. Unfortunately, the woman I really want is going to be on vacation around that time, so I can't use her. Thanks in advance for all your help.

Evelynmia'smom's Avatar Evelynmia'smom 08:40 PM 03-27-2009
We loved our Doula, Elanna Posner...I don't have her number on me right now, but you can find her through birthday presence. good luck!
GiannaO's Avatar GiannaO 09:07 AM 03-28-2009
I had a homebirth with Rina Crane and I don't think I could have done it without her. She's fairly new, but this is obviously her calling! You can PM me for details. I think her website might be up- www.doularina.com -not sure. Her phone number is (917)340-1459. I cant say enough good things about her!
Good Luck.
BrooklynDoula's Avatar BrooklynDoula 10:55 AM 03-28-2009
I know both Elanna and Rina - wonderful women and I so glad each of you had them with you! Many people are out of town in August unfortunately (myself included) but I believe Stephanie Watson-Campbell and Camille Abbe will both be in town then. They are fabulous. Also, a newer doula I really like (I am mentoring her) is Tanya Willis.

Tanya, Rina, and Stephanie are all part of this fabulous doula co-op with me. You might check out that site and you can pick from dozens of doulas who are working together.

http://nycdoulacoop.com/

Good luck to you!
beachcitymama's Avatar beachcitymama 09:17 PM 03-31-2009
Hi there, I'm a newer doula, and will be in town in August.

I second the recommendation for the NYC Doula Co-Op. I trained with Natashia, who started that group, and she is amazing. I can only assume the same of the rest of the members.

You can also check out Metro Doula Group for a list of local doulas.

Best of luck to you!
peainthepod's Avatar peainthepod 01:36 AM 04-01-2009
Hi there--

I used Tessa Lawrence, who works as Joan Bryson's birth assistant as well as a birth doula. She was wonderful and I can't recommend her highly enough. PM me for her info if you're still interested.
Arike's Avatar Arike 04:33 PM 04-02-2009
Stephanie Watson Campbell was my doula and she is AMAZING! Her contact info is at her baby store website: http://www.storkstorenyc.com/
Rosehip's Avatar Rosehip 11:06 PM 04-06-2009
I was very happy with Catherine Lindley Stewart

http://www.laborlove.org/index.html
Lolafanana's Avatar Lolafanana 11:54 PM 04-06-2009
I had Natashia Fuksman present for my homebirth last year and she is truly amazing. I am happy to answer any questions you may have.
BrooklynDoula's Avatar BrooklynDoula 12:28 AM 04-07-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolafanana View Post
I had Natashia Fuksman present for my homebirth last year and she is truly amazing. I am happy to answer any questions you may have.
Natashia is actually no longer attending births - just teaching childbirth ed and training new doulas for a while. She started the doula co-op I posted a link to above, though, and is really active still in mentoring and building doula community. you were lucky to have her - she is truly amazing!
nex0s's Avatar nex0s 12:22 PM 04-27-2009
I'm birthing at the beginning of July with Lauren from http://nycdoulaservice.com/

I had the same issue - a bunch of people were either going on vacation, or having babies themselves this year!

I like Lauren a lot, and am looking forward to my birth with her She's very professional which I like. A lot of people I contacted were very slow in getting in touch, or didn't get back in touch with me at all. The most professional ones were all on vacation.

Good luck!
wwmrrs's Avatar wwmrrs 12:36 AM 02-08-2010
I worked with Catherine Stewart-Lindley and she's fantastic. I definitely would have had a cesarean if she hadn't been there. My OB said that I shoud thank my lucky stars that Catherine was there and wanted her contact info for future clients. That's not at all the dynamic I had expected between OB and doula! Catherine's a pro and it really showed.
Up