NY State Short Term disability and normal pregnancy - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 04-02-2009, 09:55 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi everyone,

I am looking for some information on taking short term disability after I give birth in the next couple months. So I hear NY State mandates employers provide short term disability and that 6 weeks after a normal vaginal delivery would be covered, but I have yet to find a person who has actually done this. Is this an urban myth?

If anyone knows anything about this I would love some insight! Thanks!
#2 of 8 Old 04-03-2009, 12:16 PM
Banned

nope, not a myth! I got 6 weeks (its 8 for c-section) std through my work. talk to your hr people...
#3 of 8 Old 04-03-2009, 03:19 PM

Yep, it's true. I did that when ds1 was born. I got a certain percentage of my normal paycheck for 6 weeks, don't remember how much though, as it was 3.5 years ago.

A, wife to R and mom to 3 boys: D~ 10/05, J~ 8/07, and B~ 12/09 jumpers.gif

#4 of 8 Old 04-03-2009, 07:11 PM

wups... I though it said NJ, not NY. Sorry. (here's me being sheepish.)

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
#5 of 8 Old 04-04-2009, 04:21 AM

A coworker informed me that when she had her baby, she got temp disability....This coworker gave me a number to call, and i found out i can get 5 weeks of paid temp disability. (6 weeks, but the first week is unpaid) it's not much, it'll end up being about a fifth of my actual income, but it's better than nothing.
So, ask around--if my coworker hadn't told me this, i'd have no idea. the temp disability is not through the company or our regular health insurance carrier. it's some sort of 3rd party insurance co...my boss didn't know about it, and neither did i. (unless boss was playing dumb so she wouldn't have to pay me)
#6 of 8 Old 04-04-2009, 03:21 PM

Yup, I just got through with it. You get 6 weeks for vaginal and 8 for c-section. It "kicks in" after 7 days so essentially you're getting 5 weeks pay, not 6. It's 50% of your pay up to $170 a week. (Which after taxes ended up being $159.62)

The 7 day wait starts from the minute you leave "due to advanced pregnancy" until 6 weeks after the birth. I was written out of work a week before he was born and was out for a total of 7 weeks (including the time before and after the birth), so I got 6 weeks pay (the week before he was born counted towards my 7 day wait).

S-d D which made them three. M grew lonely, and now there's baby D.
"Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?"
#7 of 8 Old 04-09-2009, 11:11 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I think you should speak to your HR department. MY STD kicked in the very first day I was out of the office. It was 6 weeks for vaginal 8 for c-section. That said, the rule of it is how long you "medically" need to be out of work. I had PPD after my daughter's birth and didn't even realize, but they called me and told me my doctor's report had the PPD and so they extended it 2 weeks.
I forget about the pay, but I believe it was full pay.
#8 of 8 Old 04-14-2009, 11:10 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the information! I don't have and H&R department (office of 4!) but I will look into it. My boss had no idea but the issue has never come up before either. Thanks everyone!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page