pediatrician or family doc near Mechanicsburg, PA - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 40 Old 04-22-2009, 11:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Does anyone have any recommendation for a non-vax friendly pediatrician or family doc near Mechanicsburg, PA? We'll be moving there from RI in about a month and I'd like to get set up with a new doc asap after we move. I'm going to miss our RI family doc. :-( Thanks in advance!!
#2 of 40 Old 04-24-2009, 06:22 PM

I just moved to York (south of Mechanicsburg?) and work in Harrisburg and I am also interested in a PED that is open to no vaccinations.

joy
#3 of 40 Old 04-25-2009, 05:05 PM

Tan & Garcia has an office in Camp Hill who accepts non-vax children without too much of a hassle. Ryder and Barnes recently stopped accepting children who are delayed or selectively vaxing.
#4 of 40 Old 04-26-2009, 10:46 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks! I'll check them out. Also my mom passed on to me that she goes to a guy in Mechanicsburg who she likes - John Sullivan. She thinks he might be ok with no vax. I'm going to check him out as well.
#5 of 40 Old 04-28-2009, 12:07 AM

I live in Carlisle and take my children to Spring Road Family Practice, I see Dr Ramirez, not only is he AWESOME with kids, he's a great doctor, and is willing to listen to concerns in delayed or non vaxing. He feels parents are just as much a part of the health care decisions affecting their children as the docs are.

a bonus to all of the above, he's extremely easy on the eyes. :
#6 of 40 Old 08-03-2009, 10:40 PM - Thread Starter

Well, I'm still looking for a family doc or pediatrician. I checked out Dr. Sullivan, but he's not a good fit for our family. I called Dr. Rameriz's office, but he's not accepting new patients currently. I haven't checked out out Tan & Garcia yet. That may be next on the agenda, but I thought I'd check to see if anyone has any other recommendations?
#7 of 40 Old 08-04-2009, 03:37 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
hrm - I also need a ped. We're pretty mainstream medically, but which peds are BF-knowledgeable, don't push formula or tell you to give rice cereal at 3 months, and don't harass you about parenting choices which have nothing to do with medicine?

DD 01/2007, DS 09/2011

#8 of 40 Old 12-08-2010, 09:41 AM

If you're still looking, I go to Tan and Garcia. They are inconsistent from patient to patient, and even within their own docs, I've had trouble with them bullying me about our modified vacc schedule.

Dr. John Sullivan is my FIL. I know alot of people that go to him.......

#9 of 40 Old 12-10-2010, 03:52 PM

A little south of you...but definitely worth mentioning is Dr. Stonesiefer in Shippensburg.  He has a practice that does not work with medical insurance, however he will give you codes to submit to your insurance carrier to get reimbursed...His practice is mostly Amish and Mennonite, but he accepted our family as well as a few of my clients...

He has never even mentioned vaccines at our appointments, and (please no flames!!) doesn't seem to mind that we generally do not do well child check ups...I call on him when we need medical attention and he helps, often recommending herbal or homeopathic treatments (as well as nutritional advice in addition to medications...very laid back practice...

#10 of 40 Old 01-18-2011, 08:41 AM

I'm also looking.  I'm due in March & will be having the baby at Harrisburg Hospital.  I need a doc to check out baby at the hospital who won't hassle me about not doing the Hep B vax. 

Looks like Tan & Garcia may be my best bet due to health insurance.

#11 of 40 Old 01-18-2011, 10:07 AM

I used Tan and Garcia @ the hospital. Dr. Tan did give me some flack about no eye ointment and no Hep B ("Why?"    "Cause I don't have any STDs"       rolls eyes and goes ahead with exam) but going in with education on each vax I wasnt getting for my baby helped and also Dr. Kara is good there, too. I do not know how they are about intact boys. I've had a lot of friends who didnt circumcise (thank goodness!) and down the road they had issues with retraction ( a no-no from what I've researched). Hope this helps! We've swtiching to Dr. Zimmerman @ Heritage. Tan & Garcia really was very unhelpful with breastfeeding issues and just told me my daughter had Failure to Thrive and handed me formula :(  11 months old and we're still going strong! 

#12 of 40 Old 01-19-2011, 09:48 AM

Hmmm...sounds like Dr. Tan's office is not what I'm looking for.  Luckily, Heritage Pediatrics takes our insurance as well.  Can you tell me why you're switching to them?  I'd love to hear about it.  I don't know anything about them other than they look to be in Camp Hill.  Are they non-vax friendly?  Breastfeeding knowledgeable?  I'm anti-circ as well, but it looks like we're having a girl.  I guess I need to find a practice where I'm ok with all the docs since it doesn't seem like you get to choose who rounds at the hospital the day you check out.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it could be anyone in the practice.  TIA!!

#13 of 40 Old 01-27-2011, 09:49 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I'm with Heritage. They seem fairly pro-vax to me (pushed the flu shot), but since I do vaccinate and my dd was already 2.5 when we started there, I haven't pressed the issue or know how far they go. Again, older child, no idea how they handle BF issues. From what I've seen/heard, the non-vaxing families around here seem to prefer FPs to the ped practices.

I'm surprised at hearing about circ issues. Highmark and I think Capital do not pay for neonatal circ so I would've thought the rate wouldn't be as high around here and peds would have to get used to it.

DD 01/2007, DS 09/2011

#14 of 40 Old 01-28-2011, 08:44 AM

Thanks for the response about Heritage.  Aarg!  I have about 6 wks. to find a doc that can sign out my baby at Harrisburg Hospital & who takes our insurance as well.  Anybody know of a good FP or possibly a ped who can check out babies at the hospital?

help.gif

#15 of 40 Old 01-29-2011, 11:39 AM

i hear Dr. Zimmerman@ Heritage is good, knowledgable about noncirc, nonvaxx(go with education, not just "'cause we don't want to"). Dr. Tan did our hospital checkout and since I refused dd getting Heb B and also eye ointment, he kinda gave me a hard time, but the other docs didnt give me a hard time. Plus, if you're there more than 1-2 days, you're gonna meet more than 1 doc from most practices. 

#16 of 40 Old 01-29-2011, 03:23 PM

HI,

I'm a homebirth midwife and also a nursing instructor with HACC. I recommend Heritage Peds to my clients and my children go there. I have had great experiences with the practice and love Dr. Zimmerman. However, I just received a letter from her about the newer policy regarding vaccinations. The practice will no longer be accepting clients who do not vaccinate ON A REGULAR VACCINATION SCHEDULE. This means that if you are not vaccinating or following an alternative schedule, you will need to find another pediatrician.

I wanted to post this so people could look elsewhere if they are not planning on vaccinating. This is a practice with multiple physicians and a NP, so while individuals in the practice may be willing to compromise, the practice policies overrule.

#17 of 40 Old 01-30-2011, 09:54 AM

Hmm, now I'm confused as when we made my daughters appt we told then we do a modified and they said ok. I'll have to call on Monday and check it out! 

AlexisT likes this.
#18 of 40 Old 01-30-2011, 02:10 PM

Thanks for posting, Maggi.  I will steer clear of Heritage, then.  Maybe I'll just go with Tan & Garcia's office for the hospital checkout, then look for a FP.  I'm thinking not many FPs check babies out at the hospital but I guess I could be wrong...

Anyone know of a FP/Ped in the area that is ok with non or modified vax?  We're still not sure which route to take but definitely won't be doing Hep B at the hospital. 

#19 of 40 Old 02-02-2011, 05:54 AM

Yes, definitely check it out. You might want to ask to have Dr. Shrift call you back about it first. The policy is definitely there, I kept the email so I can refer to it as necessary. Again, I really do love the practice and will continue to go there, but I'm being kind of "grandfathered" in.

I hope to finish the masters program I am in now and do a postmasters certificate for family nurse practitioner. This issue is one the main ones I feel we need another option for families in the area. This one and course all the problems I see with homebirthers trying to get care for something as simple as an urinary tract infection.

#20 of 40 Old 02-02-2011, 11:55 AM

Dr. Zimmerman will no longer accept us as new patients since we only do 3 of the vaxx. :(

#21 of 40 Old 02-11-2011, 07:54 AM

When we were @ our 1 yr WCC @ Tan and Garcia the other day, Dr. Kara Garcia informed me that for future family's who want to come in and do a modified, they will have a modified schedule you will need to follow, but they will work with you, FYI. And I had absolutely no issues the other day with only getting 1 vaxx for our daughter. I don't know if they will go with parents who chose to not vaccinate, so I would just make an appt on Wednesdays @ the Camp Hill office with Dr. Kara :)

#22 of 40 Old 02-14-2011, 02:42 PM

I have an almost 3 year old daughter who is currently a patient at Heritage.  She has autistic characteristics, and is being tested for autism in a few weeks. (I am hoping for the best).  She followed a normal vaccination schedule, and of course, now I am extremely concerned about the vaccination schedule, as I am due with our 2nd child in April.  I was so disappointed, I started crying, when I spoke with Heritage and they told me that they will not do a modified schedule. They told me that it was because mistakes could be made by nurses, etc. with keeping track of the vaccines administered and not giving them twice, etc.  Not a great reason, if you ask me. I cannot understand what is wrong with a modified schedule...I will need to look into Tan and Garcia.  Please, if anyone knows of any other peds, please let me know. We live in Camp Hill. I am under a huge amount of stress and worry about my daughter, and on top of it, I'm pregnant....I want to make a responsible choice...so frustrating.

#23 of 40 Old 02-14-2011, 05:41 PM

I just spoke with a friend of mine, and she told me that Tan and Garcia (her ped) has just changed their policy too. They are no longer allowing for modified schedules. I don't know what to do.

#24 of 40 Old 02-15-2011, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeyten4 View Post

I have an almost 3 year old daughter who is currently a patient at Heritage.  She has autistic characteristics, and is being tested for autism in a few weeks. (I am hoping for the best).  She followed a normal vaccination schedule, and of course, now I am extremely concerned about the vaccination schedule, as I am due with our 2nd child in April.  I was so disappointed, I started crying, when I spoke with Heritage and they told me that they will not do a modified schedule. They told me that it was because mistakes could be made by nurses, etc. with keeping track of the vaccines administered and not giving them twice, etc.  Not a great reason, if you ask me. I cannot understand what is wrong with a modified schedule...I will need to look into Tan and Garcia.  Please, if anyone knows of any other peds, please let me know. We live in Camp Hill. I am under a huge amount of stress and worry about my daughter, and on top of it, I'm pregnant....I want to make a responsible choice...so frustrating.

((Hugs))  So sorry to hear what you're going through, mama!  If I could help, I sure would.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeyten4 View Post

I just spoke with a friend of mine, and she told me that Tan and Garcia (her ped) has just changed their policy too. They are no longer allowing for modified schedules. I don't know what to do.

Looks like we've got some conflicting info on Tan & Garcia's office with this info & what MamaMereMere posted above, unless I just don't understand you.  It sounds like Tan & Garcia's office is going to come up with their own modified schedule & if you don't follow that you can't go there.  i.e. you can't bring in your own modified schedule & have them follow it. 

I sure would love to hear of any good family practice docs in the area that are ok with non-vax'ing.  I've been asking around, but no luck yet.

#25 of 40 Old 02-15-2011, 10:55 AM

This is what I would do: Make an appt with Tan & Garcia, with Dr. Kara on a Wednesday (don't ask for Dr. Kara, just ask for a Wednesday, then ask what Dr you will be seeing). Know your stuff, go in with a proposed schedule, typed and printed out. Don't tell her you heard about this, just go in and stand your ground. I am pretty sure you will have luck once you are in the office room with her and only her and the door is closed :)  When your 2nd babe is born, you will have to deal with whomever is on call that day for a ped if you are already @ T&G. We didnt go anything besides Vitamin K in the hospital and got a teeny bit of flack from Dr. Tan for not doing eye ointment or Hep B, but I stood my ground and he dropped it. 

#26 of 40 Old 02-15-2011, 10:57 AM

family practitioner in Mechanicsburg: If you are totally non vaxxing, he is happy to see you usually but I do not know that he is taking any new patients these days. John Sullivan on S Market St in Mechanicsburg. 

#27 of 40 Old 02-15-2011, 03:25 PM

Sorry to hear that..I don't know if he is taking new patients either..it is definitely a problem; one that is not only happening in this area, but across the country.

part of the reason is the insurance companies and the organizations such as American Academy of Pediatrics. There is soooo much pressure on these doctors that they feel they must comply. I have done what is called a "HEDIS" review for several years. This is a review or a kind of "report card" of doctors and clinics by insurance companies and state insurances. I did it for Gateway and would go into a doctors office or clinic and pull random charts that had been preselected. The insurance company 'graded' on certain chonic illnesses and preventative health issues such as type two diabetes, well child checkups, immunizations, hypertension, and similar. There are parameters and dates that have to meet the guidelines; doctors who don't receive poor "grades" and can have problems.

It helped me understand what they have to face when they try to serve a larger population. If they want to be able to accept medical assistance especially, they have to sign contracts saying they will follow the rules and agree to follow the parameters of care. Plus the fact they are all TOTALLY overworked. Last year, the family doctor was expected to see 120 visits per week. That's billable visits and in addition to phone calls, reading labs, keeping up to date,lunches, CEU's, etc. When you do the calculations, it's frightening.

It is a big problem because the solution is either work independently and not accept insurance (which some do). or try to help as many as possible. I wrote a report on "microcare" which is the new trend of having small client and small offices that "cater" to specific populations. This is something that really needs to happen for people who want a different type of care. Unfortunately, the "specialties" like endocrinologists aren't going to really be able to do it because of the cost and admitting privileges, but family care and well care should be able to and I found several groups and grassroot organizations that were supporting it across the country.

I hope we can bring it to this area! Not just MD's, but nurse practitioners and independent midwives!

#28 of 40 Old 02-16-2011, 12:14 PM

Maggi315 :)   There are good things stirring in the circles/communities that both you and I frequent. As far as I know, T&G do not accept Gateway as far as I know and its my understanding then that they do not get as much of a inspection like other places. Yes, you cannot shout from the roof tops that they are "allowing" you (um, its my child and I'm making an informed decision) to go with a modifed, etc vaxxing schedule. I am disappointed that some local practitioners forgot their Hippocratic oath :(

#29 of 40 Old 02-16-2011, 12:15 PM

And I totally agree on the midwives. BWB meeting this morning :)

#30 of 40 Old 03-14-2011, 08:09 AM

I know this a bit late, but we took our daughter for her first ped visit to Tan&Garcia and saw Dr. Acharya.  Her reply to declining vax was "that was why God gave you this baby and not me". That was the end of the discussion.  She was lovely. That was in the middle of February.  However, my husband is a doc and we are not dedicated to well baby check-ups, so we haven't been back yet.  We figured we would just keep them on reserve if baby girl needs to see a ped.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page