homeschoolers in nepa? - Mothering Forums
New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania > homeschoolers in nepa?
earthymato2's Avatar earthymato2 06:18 PM 05-03-2009
hi! we've just moved to honesdale and we're hoping to find some like-minded homeschoolers to get together with. at the moment we're still trying to settle and unpack, but in the future we'd love to start a (very child led) co-op if there's interest. ds1 is 6 and ds2 is 21 months and if i had to describe us i'd say we're waldorf inspired unschoolers.:
so is anyone out there?

annettemarie's Avatar annettemarie 09:47 PM 05-03-2009
Well, I'm in Williamsport, which tends to be a little too far away from the NEPA folk, unfortunately.
earthymato2's Avatar earthymato2 12:22 AM 05-04-2009
williamsport... that's out toward state college, no? my dh is a penn state alum so hopefully we'll make it out that way to visit now that we'll be back in the area
paquerette's Avatar paquerette 01:20 PM 05-04-2009
: I'm in Dingmans and I'd love to get together. Honesdale is great for me.

I know a few others there but not on mdc very often. Can I intro you via email?
earthymato2's Avatar earthymato2 08:57 PM 05-04-2009
yes paquerette that would be great! i was hoping you'd respond... i couldn't find that pm you sent me a while back
momma_c's Avatar momma_c 09:54 PM 05-04-2009
hey there! i am in the back mountain area, which is about 45 mins from honesdale i believe.
we are looking to start homeschooling this coming school year with my soon to be 5 yr old dd. i am really hoping to get involved with other like minded families as well.
and welcome to nepa!
earthymato2's Avatar earthymato2 08:12 PM 05-05-2009
hi mommac! thanks for the welcome
one of our favorite things to do in the spring with hs friends here is to play and picnic at the park. would you all be interested in getting together sometime next week (weather permitting)? my 6 year old ds is quite the "social butterfly" type and is already asking me when he can go play with some new friends! actually, he started asking the moment we began packing
anyway, i'm not too familiar with the parks and fun things to do just yet, but i'm open to suggestion.
jenmidwife2b's Avatar jenmidwife2b 12:13 PM 05-06-2009
I'm down in Long Pond and we homeschool!
momma_c's Avatar momma_c 01:49 PM 05-06-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthymato2 View Post
hi mommac! thanks for the welcome
one of our favorite things to do in the spring with hs friends here is to play and picnic at the park. would you all be interested in getting together sometime next week (weather permitting)? my 6 year old ds is quite the "social butterfly" type and is already asking me when he can go play with some new friends! actually, he started asking the moment we began packing
anyway, i'm not too familiar with the parks and fun things to do just yet, but i'm open to suggestion.

i would love to get together!! i don't think next week will work for us tho, we have a ton of things going on and my husband and i are taking our first overnight trip by ourselves since we had our dd 5 yrs ago!
The following week may work out better, I am not familiar with parks near you in honesdale but we have a nice state park here that we visit often, it is frances slocum state park. it is about 3 mins from our house! you can pm me if you want or we can exchange emails.
earthymato2's Avatar earthymato2 11:58 AM 05-07-2009
I believe the week after next (week of the 18th) will work for us... it's so hard to plan that far ahead while there's so much unpacking and moving in to do! how's that for everyone else? i googled frances slocum state park and it looks fun! i suppose if the the time/location work for everyone, we could plan more as it gets closer (we're still day to day at the moment- ahhh!!).
oh and mommac enjoy your time away with your dh :
momma_c's Avatar momma_c 09:01 AM 05-08-2009
thank you! i can't wait!
and i hope next week will work for everyone else too!
tpintsch's Avatar tpintsch 01:21 AM 05-11-2009
Why don't you join our little group. We have a few mama's that homeschool and we aren't too far away from you.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/mamaluzernecounty/
earthymato2's Avatar earthymato2 04:53 PM 05-11-2009
thanks i will definitely check out that group!
shaquanamillridge's Avatar shaquanamillridge 08:15 PM 05-24-2009
Hi Nepa families,

We just moved out here too. We are in Springville in Susquehanna County. My 3 year little boy was in a Waldorf preschool 3 days a week in Kimberton where we just moved up from and we miss it so. Would love to find like minded families with little ones. Our son misses his friends so much and mama is going a little crazy in the woods with only a 3 year old for company every day!

Does anyone have any ideas for camps or preschools?

Ali
Goimir's Avatar Goimir 10:46 PM 05-24-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaquanamillridge View Post
Hi Nepa families,

We just moved out here too. We are in Springville in Susquehanna County. My 3 year little boy was in a Waldorf preschool 3 days a week in Kimberton where we just moved up from and we miss it so. Would love to find like minded families with little ones. Our son misses his friends so much and mama is going a little crazy in the woods with only a 3 year old for company every day!

Does anyone have any ideas for camps or preschools?

Ali
Move back to SEPA.

I'm familiar with that area (my wife is from there), and there are very few like-minded people. You're up there in God's Country, and if it's not in the Bible, it's not worth knowing to some people from that area.

*not that there aren't closed-minded non-Christians, or all Christians are closed-minded, but I wish you all the luck in the world in your endeavors.

Edited on 29-May-2009 by Goimir.
earthymato2's Avatar earthymato2 12:11 AM 05-26-2009
i agree- please don't be discouraged... i'm still fairly new to nepa (wayne county) but i'm already discovering that there are definitely some like minded folks around. i'm also a philly suburb transplant (on the jersey side of the river) by the way.
there is a link on this thread to a luzerne county mamas group- i joined them for a park day last week, and it was fabulous! if it's not too far for you i would highly recommend checking out that group.
i'm not sure about camps or preschools- i'm homeschooling my 6 y/o ds and also have a 21 m/o.
shaquanamillridge's Avatar shaquanamillridge 08:51 AM 05-26-2009
Earthymato 2: Are you using a Waldorf homeschooling curriculum? And what about socialization? My son wakes up every day saying he misses his friends. I feel like it has been weeks since he has seen another child:-(

Thanks for the idea about joining the Luzerne mama's group, I hesitate because I am not a new mama, breastfeeding or a mama to be as of this time, but if others with preschoolers can tag along then I will check it out.

PS my husband is also a Penn State grad. Agronomy soil science.

Paquerette: Are u a Beekeeper or is Beakeeper something else?
We have bees if u r love to talk.

Ali
serenbat's Avatar serenbat 11:14 AM 05-26-2009
Quote:
Move back to SEPA

sad but so true--- we did move back to SEPA really only because of it, tried for years and just frankly couldn't stand the narrow mindedness (yes there are others but it was so few and so far between) - I hated having to drive long distances to just meet open non-closed-minded people. We found far more to do and to interact with in SEPA and I don't have to spend a great deal of the day driving!

I found that I could not really find good groups and that were age related at the time and that held the interests of the activities that we wanted.

We are non-Christians and that was a big problem to others and they made it clear. At least 90% of the time the first thing out of someone's mouth was "what church do you belong to?". To homeschool and not be Christian was a concepts many could not relate to and showed their distain.

I have never heard of any camps like what you are looking for.
The PA State Park system does offer summer classes (usually for age 5 and up) but there are some family programs during the day and even some at night for families. Some parks offer more than other- just call around to the park, some fill up fast. Many homeschoolers do use the park programs.

Good luck finding a group and things to do- like I said I found very little to do and far more in SEPA that fits our interests.
earthymato2's Avatar earthymato2 05:30 PM 05-26-2009
ali: i'm new to the luzerne county group, so i can't answer you for sure, but i will say there was a very wide age range at the park last week- my 6 y/o had plenty of children to play with. perhaps if you ask on the yahoo group you may get a better answer? also, i would say we are "waldorf inspired" in our hs approach- certainly not purist! we don't follow any curriculum strictly and prefer a more child led approach. as for socialization... i'm not a believer that preschoolers need an incredibly busy social schedule (check this out for more on preschool hsing http://www.besthomeschooling.org/). we did that for a while and found it much better to slow down, help ds1 find a rhythm at home, and have family and the real world as his main social network. that said, ds1 is an incredibly outgoing and social kid and enjoys time with his peers... so i do have to be sure that i stay on top of that need for him, but playdates once a week or something like karate if he desires more structure seem to meet that need for him.

ok, so i'm going to try not to get up on a soapbox here about nepa, but i have a unique perspective having spent my first 18 years here and then the following 12 scattered between ny state and various philly suburbs. i will say it has changed quite a bit from the place i remember as a child... or perhaps i have changed?? yes, serenbat is correct, it does seem to require more driving to meet with like minded people but when you're not doing this every day it is not so bad. and i have to say- driving an hour on winding hilly back roads to a park here is far more pleasant than sitting in traffic on 676. what is most appealing to us is the slower pace and beautiful surroundings... that offers so much that you just can't find in the burbs. the smell of the air... digging our hands in the dirt and starting a garden... wandering through the woods... this is our waldorf lifestyle. as far as the religious sentiment- well, we are a non-christian family. specifically, i am pagan and my dh is agnostic/atheist leanings. we have not once encountered any discrimination or negativity. however, when i was doing research for hs groups, co-ops, etc i specifically avoided christian organizations. not trying to create a bubble, but i'm assuming that when they say they are a christian co-op this means they are looking for families who share their beliefs. i'm sure at some point, we will have the misfortune of meeting some closed minded people, but they exist everywhere! yes, nepa does lack some of the diversity of living near a city, but what you are looking for does exist... you just have to do some digging hope that helps!
earthymato2's Avatar earthymato2 10:21 AM 05-27-2009
haha yes exactly! :
momma_c's Avatar momma_c 10:43 AM 05-27-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaquanamillridge View Post
Thanks for the idea about joining the Luzerne mama's group, I hesitate because I am not a new mama, breastfeeding or a mama to be as of this time, but if others with preschoolers can tag along then I will check it out.
I also joined the group at the same time as earthymato2, I am not a new mom and am not breastfeeding anymore either. I have a 5 year old daughter and 19 month old son.
I am really hoping to get involved with homeschoolers that would like to do field trips and the like, both of my kiddos are packed full of energy and love making new friends. :
I think you are the one that just joined the group but I wanted to throw this out there since I just saw it after I welcomed you to the group.
paquerette's Avatar paquerette 01:30 PM 05-27-2009
Well, I'm currently stuck on the edge of NEPA. I'm trying to get out but my finances have other ideas.

Yes, the "brain drain" effect and the provincialness are no secret. I see it in discussions all over the internet, the reputation is pretty far spread. Heck, look at all the state campaigns to keep young people in PA... everyone moves out looking for jobs, cultural opportunities, and good schools for their kids. Local government corruption is rampant. There are no jobs to be had, not even for skilled labor. They stick you at a couple bucks an hour above minimum wage and there you sit, just barely scraping by, year after year. It's been a year and a half since we got out and we're just finally catching up on all the debt from all those years of not making a living wage. I have no idea how all those poor unskilled laborers, the people frying your donuts and ringing up your groceries, survive. Yet that's what the vast majority of the people living in NEPA are doing.

I'm sorry that the thread got derailed, but I'm just commenting on what it is now. I've been here for almost 31 years now so I like to think I have a pretty good perspective. I've been poor, different, and an outcast for most of it.
earthymato2's Avatar earthymato2 01:35 PM 05-27-2009
serenbat i'm sorry you're offended- i don't think anyone had intended to create an arguement over this. however, it can be very frustrating and upsetting to be new to an area and get such negative feedback. most don't have the option to just move back to sepa. i think the info you provided would be more beneficial to someone just considering the move rather than one who is already here and trying to settle.... when you're in the latter position, it's more helpful to learn of the more positive aspects of nepa (and there are many). again, i really am sorry that any of this upset you and i'm sorry you had such a bad experience here... i do hope you have found your place in sepa. :
jenmidwife2b's Avatar jenmidwife2b 02:06 PM 05-28-2009
I must say that I must be incredibly lucky, as I have lived up here for more than a year and have not encountered any closed minded people. Actually, we moved up here from South Jersey and we love it. I don't miss SEPA/Southern NJ at all.

There are good points and bad points to any area. And you are going to come across judgemental people from all faiths, creeds, lifestyles, regardless of where you live geographically. I think that this area of PA lends itself to waldorf/unschooling/charlotte mason schooling in particular because of all of the nature that we have at our fingertips that is harder to find in SEPA.
dawningmama's Avatar dawningmama 10:10 PM 05-29-2009
I am returning this thread with quite a few edits. Please, in the future, when you read a post you believe is offensive and/or a violation of our User Agreement, report the thread to the forum moderator. You can do this by clicking on the little ! triangle in the bottom left of each post. Thank you!

If you have questions or concerns, please feel free to pm myself or an administrator.
Up