VBAC/VBA2C threatened in Lehigh Valley. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 23 Old 05-06-2009, 03:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was a huge lurker when I was pregnant and even found a great midwife through her and just paying it forward, I wanted to post to share this with the mamas that are partially responsible for my successful VBA2C.

I know there are quite a few mamas that have used Laurice and her practice (Lehigh Valley Midwives.) Laurice attended a SUCCESSFUL breech birth and now LVH is threatening or has rescinded her privileges for practicing "outside of her scope."

If you've used Laurice/Tina or the Midwives. If you are a mama in the Lehigh Valley area or intend to use the hospital at all for birth reasons what so ever, please send them a letter!

Here are the addresses to send your letters:

Chairman of Obstetrics
Thomas Hutchinson, MD
17th & Chew Streets
PO Box 7017
Allentown, PA 18105-7017
thomas.hutchinson@lvh.com

Vice President of Medical Staff Services
John Hart
Lehigh Valley Hospital
Cedar Crest Blvd & I-78
PO Box 689
Allentown, PA 18105
john.hart@lvh.com

President of Lehigh Valley Hospital
Elliot Sussman
Lehigh Valley Hospital
Cedar Crest Blvd & I-78
PO Box 689
Allentown, PA 18105
elliot.sussman@lvh.com
#2 of 23 Old 05-06-2009, 03:56 PM

This is such a sad situation. A good friend of mine just got a call yesterday that they will not be able to attend her attempted VBA2C : Seems like the only option around here now is hb.

Beth wife to Tom and mommy to Therese 11/4/04 Anna Mary 6/15/07 and Veronica 10/20/09
#3 of 23 Old 05-06-2009, 11:07 PM - Thread Starter

Will do, thanks for the suggestion!
#4 of 23 Old 05-07-2009, 05:24 PM

I just found this out yesterday. They were going to attend my VBAC in August. Now going into my third trimester I have to find a new care provider. This just stinks!
#5 of 23 Old 05-14-2009, 01:21 PM

That is just awful!!! I actually didn't have a great expierience with the midwives (ended up with what I feel was an uncessary c/s. I feel it could have been avoided with better prenatal education and spinning babies help- at any rate I only labored 12 hours at the hospital before they sectioned me.) but I really respect Laurice's work and her passion to help woman birth with respect. I was actually with them again for the beginning of this pregnancy (due in August) but have chosen to HBAC and was told that their practice could have nothing to do with me. Which I understand for liablility and L gave me the impression that HBACs are unwise.

Either way I will be writing a letter for sure- they definitely shouldn't be banned from the hospital!!! If I knew Laurice she wasn't trying to go behind any ones back- with my experience with her she never hesistates to call in Karonis if she knows she needs back up... My cousin had a breech baby 6 mos ago (not in the same area) and NO ONE realized baby was breech (even the OB attending) untill baby's bum was crowning!! Baby was FINE, and pushing went FAST considering how tiny my cousin was (like size 0) and it was her FIRST baby. I hope it all works for the midwives, I may not agree with the politics they have to practice under but we definitely need more nurse midwives like them.

Hannah ... wife to Ryan ...Mommie to my girlies. RJ Dec '07 ~ AJ Aug '09~ PJ Jan '12

peace loving Friend ~ selective vax ~ sleep sharing~ gentle parenting~ doing what works for us and learning as we go!

#6 of 23 Old 05-21-2009, 04:05 PM

Hi Erica,
I am a mother of four children (22, 18, 15, and 10), a pediatric nurse practitioner and a legal nurse consultant My husband, Dr. Boschi will be joining Lehigh Valey hospital in July as an OB/GYN. He has practiced in the Palmerton/Lehighton area for the past 20 years and just of 6 weeks ago was notified that BLUE MOUNTAIN HEALTH SYSTEM will be closing the ob department due to money isssues (although my husband had his best year ever.) He will be bringing along his two wonderful midwives. They do VBAC's.
He will also practice out of St. Luke's Allentown campus (much better choice.)
Spread the word....there's a new OB in town. Trained at Columbia University and established his own practice all by himself. 10,000 patients later....
Have a great day!!
Joanne
#7 of 23 Old 05-21-2009, 04:40 PM

If you want to support the Lehigh Valley Midwives please join our facebook group, Supporters of Midwifery in the Lehigh Valley.

We are gearing up for a protest next Saturday!

ribbonpurple.gif  Proud Single Mama, Birth & Postpartum Doula

Student, Aspiring CNM 
treehugger.gif  DD ~ 1/7/09   shamrocksmile.gif  DS ~ 9/22/10

#8 of 23 Old 05-24-2009, 01:07 AM

How did the protest go?

Homebirth Midwifing mama to five blessings in Northeastern PA.
#9 of 23 Old 05-24-2009, 09:12 AM

I read that as being next saturday, as in 6 days from now. No?
#10 of 23 Old 05-24-2009, 03:40 PM

The first protest will be May 30th 10am-noon. All are welcome!

Student, Aspiring CNM 

#11 of 23 Old 05-25-2009, 09:20 AM

Does Laurice know about this protest? How many people do you think will be there? Is it at the hospital?
#12 of 23 Old 05-25-2009, 09:24 AM

I wonder if anyone has discussed the issue of breech. It seems to me this is more about the fact that vaginal breech birth should be supported, rather than that we need to protect access to vbac. As important as that is, and as hard as it is to find a vbac provider, it is even harder to find someone to support a vaginal breech birth. And if we could do so, it would eliminate the need for more vbacs down the road.
#13 of 23 Old 05-25-2009, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dom'sMom View Post
Does Laurice know about this protest? How many people do you think will be there? Is it at the hospital?
I do believe Laurice is aware of the protest. I belong to the group on Face Book supporting her, and we have several members in close contact with her, and her husband has posted in our group as well. You can view the group here:

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gi...8143633&ref=mf

The protest is at Cedar Crest and Rt 78, from 10AM to 12 noon on May 30th. At this time, members are still signing up, so a total count of attendees is not available. But we are spreading the word, and are hoping for a huge crowd.

Even if you do not use Laurice and her practice, this is about a bigger issue. Women's right to choose is being taken away. Come stand up for what you believe in!!
#14 of 23 Old 05-25-2009, 05:22 PM

The issue of breech birth is way beyond this issue right now. Cesarean is the standard for breech, so if any care provider does a breech and something goes wrong, they will really be accountable for the outcome, not because of what the evidence may or may not say, but because of standard of care. Basically, what is everyone else doing and would other physicians do the same thing. No one wants to go out on a limb, plus they are bound by their insurance guidelines and so could potentially lose their practice if a bad outcome.

Besides that, it is almost like saying to the docs- yes,but let's look at the evidence on VBAMC (vb after mutiple c/s) when they won't even look at the evidence on VBA1C! The other problem is that care providers have so little training in normal birth that to attend a breech birth is so far beyond their realm of specialty it's crazy. Most rarely see normal, unmedicated birth and since the standard of care is c/s for breech many probably have no experience at all. I am not sure I would want an inexperienced physician or midwife attending my baby who is breech. and if I were the doc or midwife and didn't have the experience I wouldn't be comfortable attending.

My understanding is that the issue is a philosophical one. It's classic medical model vs. midwifery model of care. And Laurice has been straddling that for along time. One needs to only attend a few births in that hospital with her to feel the tension between the triad of doc/midwife/nurse. I am not sure how she ( or any CNM who is pro-normal birth) works in that environment. It's hard-I feel so badly for her and Tina and the moms she serves, but this is what happens when institutionalized birth meets ideal birth. the bottom line is that there are lot of people in power who don't want her there and feel that she is a big liability. (again, I'm sure not looking at that evidence)
#15 of 23 Old 05-25-2009, 06:01 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
This is such bs. If this kind of thing keeps happening between docs and mw's in hospitals, eventually women's only choice is going to be a c/s or homebirth, and in today's society, maybe that is what choice they want to force on women - they know the overwhelming majority of women are far too fearful of birth to choose homebirth, regardless of it being a first or second or vbac, etc... they are just out to make things easier for themselves - mothers and babies are never the concern, despite what they tell them. This is getting scarier and scarier. I hope we continue to protest things like this regardless of the reason - just to simply get word out about this issue of choice being completely taken away. That is something most women understand...choice regarding our bodies.

Already!?!?! cold.gif  ~ Lori, doula, childbirth educator, wife to Jermaine 6/04, and mom to two happy and energetic boys - Tatum 6/06 and Keegan 3/09

#16 of 23 Old 05-26-2009, 10:55 AM

Yes, this issue goes beyond VBAC/breech deliveries... it's about women's rights, and how the medical world keeps restricting them. Laurice would rather us focus on the large issue at hand to keep women having a choice for their birthing rights.

Student, Aspiring CNM 

#17 of 23 Old 05-27-2009, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojofox View Post
Hi Erica,
I am a mother of four children (22, 18, 15, and 10), a pediatric nurse practitioner and a legal nurse consultant My husband, Dr. Boschi will be joining Lehigh Valey hospital in July as an OB/GYN. He has practiced in the Palmerton/Lehighton area for the past 20 years and just of 6 weeks ago was notified that BLUE MOUNTAIN HEALTH SYSTEM will be closing the ob department due to money isssues (although my husband had his best year ever.) He will be bringing along his two wonderful midwives. They do VBAC's.
He will also practice out of St. Luke's Allentown campus (much better choice.)
Spread the word....there's a new OB in town. Trained at Columbia University and established his own practice all by himself. 10,000 patients later....
Have a great day!!
Joanne
Joanne,

I just heard about this today from Bill Dunning...is it a "done deal," and will the midwives actually be allowed to attend VBAC's?

Laurice has had to have her consulting OB come in for the pushing stage of all VBAC births for a couple of years because LVH did not want a midwife doing VBAC's at all. I assume this restriction would apply to the midwives working with your husband, which might make him hesitant to allow midwives to continue attending VBAC's--just because of the financial issue?

I look forward to learning more about your practice, and hope that it will be a helpful asset for women.

And yes, I agree that St. Luke's Allentown is better--I birthed my first two babies there. BUT...they did refuse to allow a woman pregnant with twins to have a VBAC there a couple of years ago...so Laurice had to take her over to Lehigh Valley. And there is the issue of shared post-partum rooms...has that changed with the renovations the hospital has had recently? When I birthed there women stayed in the same room for the whole LDR stay, which was SO much better than having to move to a new room a couple of hours after the birth.

If your husband's practice has a website, please let me know, I'll consider posting a link to it on my website.

Jenn
Knitted in the Womb Childbirth Education and Labor Support Services
#18 of 23 Old 05-27-2009, 01:00 AM

To piggy back on this thread...there are also some rumors that LVH may have a vastly higher cesarean rate now than the data from 2007 that is currently available from the Department of Health website. I'm trying to get a feel about whether this is true by surveying women who have birthed there in 2007, 2008, and 2009. Please stop by my website and add to my data collection if you can, and encourage anyone you know who has birthed there to do the same. Thank you!

Jenn
#19 of 23 Old 05-27-2009, 10:26 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Quote:
And there is the issue of shared post-partum rooms...has that changed with the renovations the hospital has had recently? When I birthed there women stayed in the same room for the whole LDR stay,

In 2008- I was give the choice to move- it's because they do not have "beds" in the labor room. I was discharged 45mins after the birth. I only took a shower.

pro-transparency advocate

&

lurk.gif  PROUD member of the .3% club!

Want to join? Just ask me!

"You know, in my day we used to sit on our ass smoking Parliaments for nine months.

Today, you have one piece of Brie and everybody goes berserk."      ROTFLMAO.gif 

#20 of 23 Old 05-27-2009, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenbat View Post
In 2008- I was give the choice to move- it's because they do not have "beds" in the labor room. I was discharged 45mins after the birth. I only took a shower.
Ummm...what in the heck is the thing that they have you lay in to give birth if it isn't a "bed?" LOL!

They let you out of bed to take a shower less than an hour after giving birth? Wow. I mean, I've walked around less than an hour after my homebirths (not much, I'm usually just baby-ogling), but at my hospital births, my OB did not want me out of bed, even though I was unmedicated.

Were you "discharged" as in sent home, or moved down to post-partum (I can't imagine you went home that soon)? Was the post-partum room a shared room, or private?

Thank you!

Jenn
#21 of 23 Old 05-27-2009, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Were you "discharged" as in sent home, or moved down to post-partum (I can't imagine you went home that soon)? Was the post-partum room a shared room, or private?
I had a private room, the birth was in Jan 08- I had a great OB, non-med birth and there was no reason to remain. I felt great and got up within 15 minutes of the birth. It was a Sunday and my OB signed me out right away- we had talked about this prior and there were no reason to stay. I did need to wait for the Ped. to come in and release my DS.

You have a bed that is a labor / delivery bed- the bottom comes out. It is not a "regular" bed- there was a hot tub (didn't use it) and a folding couch that could have been used. I was not there long enough to use it. They only bring the any thing that is needed after the birth- I was mostly left alone the whole time, it was great!! I think this was because of my OB.--- I do know my birth was not the normal one (a nurse told me that) I used acupuncture and it really helps. My OB is also an acupuncture/ayurvedic, I think that makes a big difference.

I was never in a post op room- came in one room and out the same.

&

"You know, in my day we used to sit on our ass smoking Parliaments for nine months.

Today, you have one piece of Brie and everybody goes berserk."      ROTFLMAO.gif 

#22 of 23 Old 05-28-2009, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenbat View Post
My OB is also an acupuncture/ayurvedic, I think that makes a big difference.
Sounds intriguing!
Is your OB VBAC friendly?
Can you give a reference?
I need new OB care.

Thanks!
Monica in West Chester, PA
#23 of 23 Old 05-28-2009, 10:18 AM

I will PM you.

&

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page