Looking for No Vax friendly Dr. in Ithaca, NY - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 05-29-2009, 11:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The title says it all. I think our current Ped is going to fire us soon for not vaxing. I have tried Dr. Loehr/Dr. Selin's office, but they said they are not accepting new patients! I don't know what to do.
#2 of 10 Old 06-03-2009, 07:55 PM

I have been in your boat for a very long time. We do not mesh well with the office we go to right now, but are limited until we get new insurance. We are at North East Peds right now, where do you take your children? I have searched and searched without any leads on a good one, if you find one, let me know.

I heard a rumor about a new wellness center opening here in Ithaca, but don't know much about it. From what I have heard, it sounds very appealing.

caffix.gifChristine: Mama to bouncy.gif  DS 04/17/08  *Infant Stroke Survivor*  Always remembering:  brokenheart.gifbrokenheart.gifbrokenheart.gif

Took a 'break' from TTC and look what happened:  2ndtri.gif!!!!    praying.gif  for a healthy, full term baby to be born August 2012!!  Hoping for a vbac.gif!

#3 of 10 Old 06-09-2009, 09:05 PM

I need to learn how to read, for some reason my brain said no-circ not no-vax. My mom is a school nurse in Tompkins County and she has countless kids who are not vax so I know there has to be someone out there for you.
#4 of 10 Old 06-10-2009, 03:30 PM

I looked on the Dr. Sears site and there is a Dr. Michael Niziol in Dryden, NY. His number is (607) 844-8201. We are in the process of looking for a selective vax friendly doc as well.

Aimee

Aimee - Wife to one hard working DH, SAHM to DD - Sunshine (5), DD - Cupcake (3), DS - Boo (1), and expecting a Surprise - Oct 2010!
#5 of 10 Old 08-19-2009, 02:40 PM

Anyone had any luck finding a decent doc yet? Aimsley9, did you look into Dr. Michael Niziol?

Just curious, we tried out a new one and another one bites the dust...

2 peds, 1 family doc, and 1 nurse practitioner/lactation consultant down...How many to go? Seriously, why is it so hard to find a good one?

caffix.gifChristine: Mama to bouncy.gif  DS 04/17/08  *Infant Stroke Survivor*  Always remembering:  brokenheart.gifbrokenheart.gifbrokenheart.gif

Took a 'break' from TTC and look what happened:  2ndtri.gif!!!!    praying.gif  for a healthy, full term baby to be born August 2012!!  Hoping for a vbac.gif!

#6 of 10 Old 03-03-2010, 10:14 PM

bumping this up to see if anyone has any more info.. We will be moving to Ithaca in a month and I guess I gotta start thinking about all this

mama to my little lion, Ariel since 10 Aug 2007
all about love
#7 of 10 Old 03-03-2010, 10:52 PM

Marne O'Shea! Cayuga Family Med is tolerant of no vax, but I wouldn't say they encourage it, so don't be too heartbroken. Stay awwwwway from NE & Buttermilk, they are medico in the exxxtreme!
#8 of 10 Old 03-05-2010, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinahx View Post
Cayuga Family Med is tolerant of no vax, but I wouldn't say they encourage it, so don't be too heartbroken.
We've seen Dr Selin, Dr Loehr, and Lisa (the nurse practitioner) at Cayuga Family Medicine, and I didn't think they were pushy at all with vaxes. They just mention the child's age, which vaxes are recommended, and which diseases they protect against. If you deny them, that's fine, and they go onto the next part of the checkup. No forms to sign, and no "your child is going to DIE of the measles and KILL every child and old person he/she comes in contact with!"

From stories I've read on here and elsewhere about doctors, they seem very lenient on the issue. I think they mostly bring up the vaxes and give the parents the info from the CDC to cover their butts in case your child *did* get a vaccine preventable disease.

They're also very breastfeeding friendly (also fine with extended breastfeeding), non-circ friendly, pro-natural foods, and fine with alternative diets.
#9 of 10 Old 03-05-2010, 07:31 PM

I was a patient at Cayuga Family Medical. I will say that it was always easy to get in to see someone when I wanted to. Fairly easy to get referrals, too.

This was before I was a parent, so not sure about the vaccine issues.

DS, 10/07. Allergies: peanut, egg, wheat. We've added dairy back in. And taken it back out again. It causes sandpaper skin with itchy patches and thrashing during sleep. Due w/ #2 late April, 2012.

#10 of 10 Old 04-13-2010, 05:33 PM - Thread Starter

Update, since this was bumped kind of recently - we're moving this summer, so we'd decided to stick it out with our doc (NE Peds) for the last year we were here. He's actually stopped bugging us about it. I mentioned that we weren't vaccinating any further for religious reasons, and I think he realized it was a moot point. He still lets us know the recommended vaxes for the age, but once he realized I was no longer "on the fence" he's dropped it.

For anyone looking for a Dr. still, I do recommend Dr. Loehr or Dr. Selin if they're accepting new patients. Both are no-vax and breastfeeding friendly, I have several friends who go there and love them. Once we found out we were moving from the area we just figured not to bother switching twice.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page