raw goat's/cow's milk in NJ? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-29-2009, 06:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi Everyone,

Does anyone know where I can find raw goat's or cow's milk in NJ?

Thanks in advance!
Carolyn

Mom to Liam 9/06, spirit baby 3/09, and identical twins Mateo and Sebastian 10/11namaste.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2009, 07:02 PM

Raw milk isn't legal in NJ so it's very hard to get. I'm in Princeton, so not too far from PA, where raw milk is legal, and I know a number of families around here who drive to PA to get raw milk. Other than that I don't know if there are any buying co-ops around you where members take turns driving to a PA farm to bring back raw milk.

Come visit the NEW QuirkyBaby website -- earn QB Bucks rewards points for purchases, reviews, referrals, and more! Free US shipping on great brands of baby slings and carriers and FREE BabyLegs or babywearing mirror on orders of $100+. Take the QB Quiz for personalized advice!

Old 05-29-2009, 09:07 PM

Old 05-30-2009, 02:07 PM

[QUOTE=budwana birth;13848067]Hi Everyone,

Does anyone know where I can find raw goat's or cow's milk in NJ?

---
I would suggest you try looking into the Westonapricefoundation.org. for the most reliable/closest source for milk. not all sources are equal and with raw milk the farmer's farming practices is of such important... i interviewed our farmer on the use of antibiotics, feeding, etc.

Before this, I used to drive 2hrs to PA to Hendricks Farms. They were great (quality wise, etc.) but the drive even though it was once a month was a bit much for us. I joined the weston a price foundation and was able to get into a coop where I now get my milk (meats, veggies, etc.) from an Amish organic farmer. Its a godsend for our family. Not cheap but we consider it an investment in our health.

PM me if you want to get in touch with the local chapter WAPF leader in your area.
Old 06-02-2009, 12:06 AM

I am in the very northern part of NJ on the border of orange county, NY. We buy our raw milk in NY at Freedom Hill Farm in Otisville, NY. The owners, Rick and Julie Vreeland, are licensed to sell their milk from the farm. Great milk, great price- buying direct from the farm you only pay $2 per half gal. or $4 per gal. You can google they have a website. It takes me a good 45 mins from my house. I am in a group of families that takes turns going, so I only have to drive once every 10 weeks...
Old 06-02-2009, 12:54 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the great info everyone!

Mom to Liam 9/06, spirit baby 3/09, and identical twins Mateo and Sebastian 10/11namaste.gif

Old 06-03-2009, 04:32 PM

Hendrick's Farm now has some groups doing buyer's co-ops in different parts of NJ. You could contact them to see if there is one near you. Although their item prices can be higher on the face than the Amish delivery mentioned by a pp, our family feels the quality has been much higher and the overall cost actually cheaper because the Amish farmer's delivery charges got so high. (They increased last year when fuel prices rocketed up, which we understood, but when fuel costs dropped the delivery charge was never readjusted.) Good Luck!
Old 06-04-2009, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amiesmama View Post
I am in the very northern part of NJ on the border of orange county, NY. We buy our raw milk in NY at Freedom Hill Farm in Otisville, NY. The owners, Rick and Julie Vreeland, are licensed to sell their milk from the farm. Great milk, great price- buying direct from the farm you only pay $2 per half gal. or $4 per gal. You can google they have a website. It takes me a good 45 mins from my house. I am in a group of families that takes turns going, so I only have to drive once every 10 weeks...
Ooh, is there anyone in Pike Co. in your group? We go up every weekend to get ours. It was pretty cool getting to watch baby cow birth this weekend though. :
Old 06-04-2009, 11:46 PM

Birchwood Farm and Dairy (in PA) isn't far from Lambertville. You have to call ahead and get on a regular pick-up list, as they're a small dairy and they can't handle large fluctuations in selling amounts.

I've bought from them and Hendricks, both are good.

Aven

User Tag List