midwife in ny and medicaid? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-09-2009, 03:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello!
I am new to this forum. I have had 2 hospital births and I am wanting to do a homebirth or a waterbirth in a birthing center. I was wondering are there any midwives in ny that accept medicaid. And what type of medicaid?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2009, 08:41 AM

Quite a few do actually, I did a homebirth in Brooklyn on HIP medicaird. Talk to the midwifes in your area (you didn't say where in NY you are) and then see what they take, I had normal medicaid because I started out a birth center but then switched it without any problems for my midwife.

Brooklyn Birthing Center helped me get the insurance and they take straight medicaid.

In NY it's required by law that the insurance cover midwives and homebirth in some capacity although it can be out of network.

Good Luck!

Baby wearing Mamma to DS, dealing with all his allergies....and thriving w/another little bundle due in Early Feb
Old 06-10-2009, 11:38 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
North Central Bronx Hospital also has some type of birthing center, I believe, though it's part of the hospital. (It's on the AABC list, and 82% of births at the hospital are attended by midwives.) They're HHC, so absolutely would take all Medicaid.

DD 01/2007, DS 09/2011

Old 06-10-2009, 11:42 AM

Where in NY are you? I'm upstate and know a few.

with love, bailey...
macey 5.18.08
Old 06-10-2009, 02:12 PM

I live in Ithaca and my midwife took medicaid.

caffix.gifChristine: Mama to bouncy.gif  DS 04/17/08  *Infant Stroke Survivor*  Always remembering:  brokenheart.gifbrokenheart.gifbrokenheart.gif

Took a 'break' from TTC and look what happened:  2ndtri.gif!!!!    praying.gif  for a healthy, full term baby to be born August 2012!!  Hoping for a vbac.gif!

Old 06-10-2009, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calebsmommy25 View Post
I live in Ithaca and my midwife took medicaid.
Ditto, except that my midwife here only takes GHI, which is government insurance but for those who earn a little more than the standard medicaid guidelines allow for.

Partnered mama with DD (01/04) and DD (08/09) and 8 critters, including a !
Old 06-12-2009, 09:13 AM

Your insurance has to legally cover any OB or midwife. It gets iffy from there because they don't pay the midwife in full so they are stuck losing money. You would have to call a midwife specifically and ask her. The midwife I had did take medicaid (I had managed care) but had me switch from well care to GHI because GHI pays out more money.

I am in Rockland.
Old 06-12-2009, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexisT View Post
North Central Bronx Hospital also has some type of birthing center, I believe, though it's part of the hospital. (It's on the AABC list, and 82% of births at the hospital are attended by midwives.) They're HHC, so absolutely would take all Medicaid.
I gave birth in NCB and yes they do have Midwives and they also have the lowest C-section rate throughout the city. However, the midwives can be "med"wives. My birth was the classic birth with medical intervention. Although, I did not have a C-section, I still wasn't free to walk around, change positions..etc. Needless to say, I will be having a homebirth next time.
Old 06-12-2009, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kates779 View Post
Your insurance has to legally cover any OB or midwife.
If you have an HMO (not POS or PPO, but old style straight HMO), your HMO will not pay for any provider that is not in-network. They are NOT required to pay for "any" OB/MW or provide out of network benefits. On Medicaid, if you can prove that there is no one suitable on your plan's list they can grant an exception.

They are required to cover midwives, in general--i.e. not exclude them from the plan. There is no requirement to cover anyone specific.

DD 01/2007, DS 09/2011

Old 06-12-2009, 02:56 PM

sorry for my wording... I meant any ob midwife in your network.
Old 06-13-2009, 09:03 AM

Nicki,

I saw your other thread as well. Keep in mind that even though many of the homebirth midwives are based in Brooklyn, most will and do travel all over the city. The trick with Medicaid is to find a midwife quickly because many of the home birth midwives accept one or two clients with Medicaid per due month because the pay is less. So call around as soon as possible. You'll find that you can ask many of your questions over the phone and then have an initial consultation that is generally no charge. It's very important to meet and feel comfortable with the person you choose.

As far as Roosevelt's birth center, Sandy Woods and Cory McQueen take some medicaid managed-care plans, but I don't think they take straight Medicaid. If you've checked out Roosevelt's website, I think you can read about all the midwives online. Chris McCloskey is also lovely and I don't know which insurance she takes. Most of these practices fill up very quickly, so you might have to call a number of them.

The choice for homebirth or in-hospital birth center is pretty different so if you can figure out which choice you really want, you can then focus on just finding either the homebirth or birth center midwife who will take your insurance. Good luck!
Old 06-13-2009, 01:35 PM - Thread Starter

I have found a place in the bronx..its called Morris Heigts Birthing center.. they also do water births and have widwives and i think like 3 ob/gyn doctors for back up... I have heard great stories and they even help you get medicaid if you don't have it. they help with wic also.. the only bad thing i heard was there are long waits for appointments because they do accept medicaid. I really don't mind though... THANK YOU everyone!!
Old 06-17-2009, 01:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexisT View Post
If you have an HMO (not POS or PPO, but old style straight HMO), your HMO will not pay for any provider that is not in-network. They are NOT required to pay for "any" OB/MW or provide out of network benefits. On Medicaid, if you can prove that there is no one suitable on your plan's list they can grant an exception.

They are required to cover midwives, in general--i.e. not exclude them from the plan. There is no requirement to cover anyone specific.
in NY insurance is required to cover homebirth midwives. if your insurance does not have one in network, they are legally obligated to cover the out of network midwife at the in network rate. also check with your midwife. my was out, but covered in despite the fact that there was a homebirth midwife in network. the in network provider reported she was booked for my due date. therefore, the other midwife was covered.

i would document in writing, but the insurance doesn't need to grant you an exception. it is your right in NY. there are templates available online if they try to deny you coverage. just follow the rules about getting your referral, etc.

Liz, wife to John, mom to Dylan and my giant slug zocha :
Old 07-01-2009, 02:39 PM

I think there is a birthing center at Bellevue Hospital that takes Medicaid patients.

Mama to dd 12/05 and ds 7/09

User Tag List